The Student Room Group

Healthy foods to snack on and meals

I am trying to lose weight but I’m still putting it on despite running every day. I think it is down to a poor diet.

Can you name some healthy meals and snacks please?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lostx
I am trying to lose weight but I’m still putting it on despite running every day. I think it is down to a poor diet.

technically, everything you eat should be done in moderation
meaning that its still okay to eat the not so healthy things but just not too much of it. Especially if its a large part of your diet, because going cold turkey on something makes it more susceptible to a relapse of that habit
it is also a better idea to have multiple snacks throughout the day instead of having 3 larger meals because it allows your body to digest and metabolize the food in smaller portions instead at all at once (3 times)
nuts and green vegetables are very good, also drinking lots of water, expecially before eating, will help you eat less (also eating almonds help you lose your apetite and is a very healthy snack)
Hi - sorry I’m a bit late, But if you hit me a dm (Or anyone in the same situation)
I’ll send you foods to try to get more off and some to advoid as well as tasty meals that you won’t even think are healthy. You can even have any size potion you want, it still will be healthy.

I have been a chef for 4 years now and I have created some meals for my self and family and in total I lost a large amount of weight without exercising.

I can even do more-a-less any recipe but make it healthy. Without removing the flavour
Original post by Lostx

I'm a fan of naked bars and pulsin bars. Make sure you check the sugar and fat contents in whatever you eat and avoid too much greasy foods. I'd recommend trialling a pescitarian lifestyle (fish and dairy allowed but no meat) - so you can still get protein and calcium, without the overly fattening substances if meat. Hope this helps, all the best
Original post by XKangaotiCX
I'm a fan of naked bars and pulsin bars. Make sure you check the sugar and fat contents in whatever you eat and avoid too much greasy foods. I'd recommend trialling a pescitarian lifestyle (fish and dairy allowed but no meat) - so you can still get protein and calcium, without the overly fattening substances if meat. Hope this helps, all the best

“Red Meat” isn’t a bad thing, You can get 5% mince meat and cook it in a low cal cooking spray.
Fish is very healthy, So is white meats.
Dairy on the other hand can be a negative, Try using a low fat milk such as red top and even less butter.
You can get calcium from other things instead of dairy as well btw
- Fish will give you slight calcium
- Vegetables will give you Slight calcium
- Seeds will give calcium
Naked Bars are fulled with sugar and carbs.
Also watch out for E-Foods in the ingredient list
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Mapleservers
“Red Meat” isn’t a bad thing, You can get 5% mince meat and cook it in a low cal cooking spray.
Fish is very healthy, So is white meats.
Dairy on the other hand can be a negative, Try using a low fat milk such as red top and even less butter.
You can get calcium from other things instead of dairy as well btw
- Fish will give you slight calcium
- Vegetables will give you Slight calcium
- Seeds will give calcium
Naked Bars are fulled with sugar and carbs.
Also watch out for E-Foods in the ingredient list

You obviously know what you're talking about, and I can't say I'm an expert, but doesn't red meat increase risks of heart disease and cancer? I saw an interesting doc about it presented by Michael Moseley ... Also I'll take your word for it about dairy, might cut down the amount of eggs and such
You obviously know what you're talking about, and I can't say I'm an expert, but doesn't red meat increase risks of heart disease and cancer? I saw an interesting doc about it presented by Michael Moseley ... Also I'll take your word for it about dairy, might cut down the amount of eggs and such

Your absolutely correct it can cause damage but it’s very rare unless you eat large amounts everyday, even worse raw.
Similar to processed foods. If you eat large amounts all the time. It will do you damaged due to the chemicals inside them
I'll take your word for it about dairy, might cut down the amount of eggs and such

Which kind of cow lays eggs?

"full fat" milk is only ~3.6% and technically a low fat food. A lot of the vitamins are fat soluble, so my advice is continue with the full fat milk.

Red meat is also very healthy.

The simple answer would be swap sugary snacks for fruit. Accept sometimes you just need to stay a bit hungry (every food craving doesn't have to be satisfied). Try drinking a pint of water when you feel hungry and it can fill you up and take the edge off things.
Original post by Apachecow
Which kind of cow lays eggs?

"full fat" milk is only ~3.6% and technically a low fat food. A lot of the vitamins are fat soluble, so my advice is continue with the full fat milk.

Red meat is also very healthy.

The simple answer would be swap sugary snacks for fruit. Accept sometimes you just need to stay a bit hungry (every food craving doesn't have to be satisfied). Try drinking a pint of water when you feel hungry and it can fill you up and take the edge off things.

Oh sorry, the egg thing was really stupid, don't know why I said that lol
Would you say full fat milk is better than semi skimmed?
Reply 9
Eat plenty of fruit and veg - if you're having a meal, try and add some salad or turn it into a salad. Avoid as much processed foods as possible (although it can be difficult at times). Try and find healthy food you enjoy and ease yourself in to the diet, don't excessively force yourself into stuff you don't like as it will just increase cravings for things.

This helped me stop gaining as much weight and I'm at a stable level now.
You can eat anything you want as long as you track your calories. Your problem is just that you're burning fewer than you take in. If your goal is to lose weight, there is no difference between 1500kcal worth of mars bars and 1500kcal worth of fish, rice, nuts, whatever.

If you can't eat less food by mass, eat lower energy foods - not nuts lmao
Reply 11
Thanks so much for all of your help! Are Eat Natural bars really that healthy? Looked at the nutritional info and it is quite high in fat and sugar?
And can you start to consult with a doctor, a nutritionist? To be sure that you are healthy and such restrictions will not affect your health in any way.
Reply 13
I tried to eat healthy, then relapsed, if that’s the right word.

Today I tried again. Today I have eaten a turkey and egg salad, an apple and carrots and broccoli with potato wedges. Is this ok? I also went on a run/walk today.
Reply 14
Original post by Alana555
And can you start to consult with a doctor, a nutritionist? To be sure that you are healthy and such restrictions will not affect your health in any way.

I would like to, whether I can or not is a different matter.
Reply 15
The thing is I just don’t feel hungry, and when I am I try to eat fruit which is low in calories. I can wait it out until the next meal if I do this. If I’m not hungry then surely I don’t need anymore food?
Reply 16
Sorry messed up the quote

So is it better to eat more or less calories? I thought the whole idea of losing weight is to reduce calorie intake.

The doctors in this hospital don’t mind, as long as you’re eating something.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 17
I see what you mean now. I don’t think the doctors here care about diet, and the only time a nutritionist would be called in is if the patient isn’t eating properly.
My height is 162 cm
I weigh 67.3 kg
I run everyday
Reply 18
Thank you so much! I will try to watch the calories.

I have eaten 3 bananas this evening and was wondering if I have 2 pieces of toast with butter will be ok?
Reply 19
I better not eat the toast then, just to be safe. I’m really worried about going over the limit and putting on weight. I have quite a lot to lose and I just see a fat person in the mirror. :frown:
Thanks for your help

Quick Reply

Latest