The Student Room Group

Muslim parents seek removal of gay teacher

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 999tigger
Why have you railroaded this thread so you cna discuss your issues with the west zzzzzzz.
It is about this school and the protest. If you want to go and discuss western forign policy, then go and start another thread or you will be asked to move by the mods.There are thousands of threads complaining about the west already.

Lol I didn't derail. Go back a few pages and you'll see I was replying to the person who derailed. Whenever a Muslim talks about "the West" people get all sensitive and act as though we don't have the right to talk about these issues. I wasn't complaining, I was pointing something out.
Original post by Zamestaneh
This is a biased and rose-tinted reading of history which I have sadly seen many English people have. The British Empire will never be a model for civility or 'moral rectitude' to other countries. There is the Bengal Famine which killed over a million, there were massacres of thousands of peaceful protesters in India, a British capital punishment in India was to strap a man to the front of a cannon and fire a shot through their chest, in Kenya (though this is post-Victorian era and in the last 60 to 70 years) hundreds of thousands were interned in concentration camps and tens of thousands lost their lives when trying to get independence from British rule, concentration camps during the Boer War, and so on.The British Empire was not morally superior to its peers, it was the same, and it cared little for moral rectitude only insofar as public order was concerned... but thanks for the trains, yeah? :rolleyes:

Why would what Daesh do matter to me (regarding my morality)? You may as well have said "Just look at how the Hutus treated the Tutsis in Rawanda" - it has no relevance to my moral position

This is a biased and vitriol-tinted reading of history which I have sadly seen many anti-English people have.
Original post by 'ilm
I'm talking about Christianity Christianity. Not a bunch of denominations that decided to go against their own Bible. There is also a difference between condemning homosexual acts and condemning those who are homosexual. It's the act that's a sin.

The state religion is CoE, they are LGBT affirming.
Original post by Decahedron
The whole Bible is old scripture. From what I see especially of the CoE that is more about the humanitarian side of things, being good to your neighbour rather than hardcore religious docterine.

Funny; the CofE professes scriptural supremacy (article VI) but accepts that all are sinners. Source: am an active Anglican.

Original post by the bear
there is no reliable evidence to link Allah with moon worship. although there were many idols in the Kaaba of Mecca they were removed some 600 years after Christ.

Isn't that around the time Islam was founded, give or take a century? :rolleyes:
Christianity plays little to no part in state affairs, and of those who say they are Christian in the census, most of them are irreligious, and this will only get worse in the next 2 decades as the older generations die out. As such, the state is godless; the people (which are not the state) are not uniformly godless but it is slowly going that way, and that includes those from the Muslims becoming secular/atheistic too.

Regarding the moon-god comment, either (1) you have no idea about Semitic languages and are generally ignorant of its relation between Arabic, Hebrew and Aramaic/Syriac, or (2) you buy too much into the rubbish American/Western missionaries come up with to try discredit Islam and genuinely believe Allah is the name of a moon-god, or perhaps (3) you know it is not true but you like to use it since there is no intellectual way for you to express you don't like me/Muslims/Islam(?)

Legislation is considered by the Lords Spiritual, which is a panel of bishops and archbishops, the Church of England is the state religion of the country, and leaders in the government speak openly of Christian faith. The last few (four, I think?) prime ministers have spoken of their faith and their wish to do right by God. That isn't a political (purposefully, at least) comment btw, simply pointing out that the state religion is quite actively Christian. And most people who identify as Christians on the censuses do so because they have a level of faith, even if they don't practise openly and publicly. How can I say this? Well, agnostics and atheists don't like to be associated with it. Lapsing Muslims aren't the same, as many (of the ones I've spoken to, at least) may say openly that they don't believe in your god, but that they are "culturally Muslim".

No idea about Semitic languages :lol: well I can just about get by in Hebrew, I know a little Aramaic (enough to know that it's not Syriac), and I even know enough to know that Arabic was a very minor dialect of Nabataean before the Qur'an was written down. I haven't paid any attention to the American missionaries, I think most of them are ******s; the information about pre-Mohammedan Islam is in various legitimate history and archaeology books, and encyclopædias. I remember reading a lot about this in books (having not even been looking for it) before I had access to the Internet - specifically I remember reading about Qaaba being a stone that was known to be a major worship site centuries before Mohammed appeared, and that that early religion was known to be the source of many Islamic practices.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Tootles
Funny; the CofE professes scriptural supremacy (article VI) but accepts that all are sinners. Source: am an active Anglican.

Isn't that around the time Islam was founded, give or take a century? :rolleyes:

i think that Our Lord walked among us some 600 years before these events.
i think that Our Lord walked among us some 600 years before these events.

Erm... I'm not saying he didn't. I've said pretty categorically that I'm a practising Christian, and I've always been open on here that I'm an eternal student of theology.
Original post by Tootles
Erm... I'm not saying he didn't. I've said pretty categorically that I'm a practising Christian, and I've always been open on here that I'm an eternal student of theology.

thank you for elucidating :h:
thank you for elucidating :h:

:unimpressed:

Actually I've recently started translating the New Testament for myself. I've got copies of the Greek (the textus receptus, the novum testamentum græce, and a facsimile of the codex sinaiticus), and will be doing it the long way round - translate all three independently and then compare the translations for myself. Not for publishing or anything, I just want to understand the text for myself, though I might make it available somewhere.
Reply 89
If you actually clicked on the link provided you could answer that question yourself.

I've already seen that video, and unless I've missed something, they never said they wanted the teacher removed. So it's a misleading title. Did you watch it?
Original post by Jono*
I've already seen that video, and unless I've missed something, they never said they wanted the teacher removed. So it's a misleading title. Did you watch it?

They want him and the school "investigated" that would I'm sure in their minds lead to removal.

The No Outsiders scheme was investigated and Andrew Moffat got an MBE for it.
This is a biased and vitriol-tinted reading of history which I have sadly seen many anti-English people have.

How have I been unfair in my assessment? I never said the British Empire was worse than its peers, I merely discredited the idea that it exported moral advancement to the rest of the world.
How have I been unfair in my assessment? I never said the British Empire was worse than its peers, I merely discredited the idea that it exported moral advancement to the rest of the world.

you did not discredit the idea. you just tossed out a few unreliable accusations.
Original post by apricotkanken
As a muslim, this is ridiculous. Intolerance of anyone (unless they are hurting someone) is unacceptable in Islam.

Unless specifically told in their religious texts*
Original post by Kayb7893
I'm Muslim as well and I think that's wrong. You shouldn't discriminate people because of their sexual orientation.
Muslim parents should just teach their children that Islam goes against homosexuality but that they should be tolerant and accept peoples life decisions and that they shouldn't be homophobic at all.

But your religious text is the word of god perfect for all time
Original post by paul514
Unless specifically told in their religious texts*

what are u saying ..
Original post by apricotkanken
what are u saying ..

Exactly what I just said.
Reply 97
Ofsted in their 2016 report made a mention of the No Outsiders scheme saying how beneficial it was to the school.

The school should probably give Prevent a call, they seem pretty radicalised in their homophobia.

Prevent is a strategy not an organisation. You can’t call a strategy. It’s like making a phone call to Brexit, it doesn’t make sense.

Although I agree with your sentiments
Reply 98
They want him and the school "investigated" that would I'm sure in their minds lead to removal.

The No Outsiders scheme was investigated and Andrew Moffat got an MBE for it.

I thought it said they want the school investigated and didn't mention him in particular...What's an MBE?
This is a biased and rose-tinted reading of history which I have sadly seen many English people have. The British Empire will never be a model for civility or 'moral rectitude' to other countries. There is the Bengal Famine which killed over a million, there were massacres of thousands of peaceful protesters in India, a British capital punishment in India was to strap a man to the front of a cannon and fire a shot through their chest, in Kenya (though this is post-Victorian era and in the last 60 to 70 years) hundreds of thousands were interned in concentration camps and tens of thousands lost their lives when trying to get independence from British rule, concentration camps during the Boer War, and so on.The British Empire was not morally superior to its peers, it was the same, and it cared little for moral rectitude only insofar as public order was concerned... but thanks for the trains, yeah? :rolleyes:

Why would what Daesh do matter to me (regarding my morality)? You may as well have said "Just look at how the Hutus treated the Tutsis in Rawanda" - it has no relevance to my moral position

The British Raj was a model for civility and moral rectitude compared to the Islamic conquest of the Indian sub continent which was one of the worst genocides in the whole of human history. The loss of life during the British conquest was amazingly small, and peace and good governance was reserved for more than a century under British rule. As soon as we left, largely thanks to Muslim insistence on a Partition (admittedly probably inevitable) there was a terrible loss of life later followed by bloody wars between India and Pakistan and what is now Bangladesh.

But, thanks for the Mosques, yeah?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending