The Student Room Group

How to dress as a male PhD student

Hi all,I'm going to be starting a PhD in psychology at the University of Durham in October. I'm wondering how PhD students usually tend to dress? I'm trying to think back to my last University, but I keep drawing a blank. :-) I usually tend to wear a T-shirt, with a nice jumper and non-scruffy jeans. I also have a few shirts and a blazer, and a couple of pairs of chinos if I wanted a more formal look. Any guidance would be much appreciated!
Reply 1
Base it off the other students and the lab leader. My PI came in every day in an old tshirt and jeans. Him dressing up in a shirt or tie was a noteworthy occasion. Generally you can get away with wearing anything you want. I'm a postdoc now and still usually come in in a hoodie and jeans.

Assuming you'll be working with participants, probably go business casual for them but usually even that doesnt matter.
(edited 5 years ago)
However you want, I'd say most people go for anywhere between very casual and smart-casual. Dressing more formal than that is a bit odd unless you have an event on, though it may be expected if you're doing patient or participant facing research.
Original post by Tkang
Hi all,I'm going to be starting a PhD in psychology at the University of Durham in October. I'm wondering how PhD students usually tend to dress? I'm trying to think back to my last University, but I keep drawing a blank. :-) I usually tend to wear a T-shirt, with a nice jumper and non-scruffy jeans. I also have a few shirts and a blazer, and a couple of pairs of chinos if I wanted a more formal look. Any guidance would be much appreciated!

geeky t-shirt with a 'joke' on it, old jeans and white unbranded trainers that look like they belonged to the said student's dad in 1995.

full beard, but at the very least neck beard.

smells ok.
(edited 5 years ago)
Like a roadman innit
Hopefully better than my male lecturers. Yuck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending