The Student Room Group

Urgent help uni

Hello everyone , I was studying in India till my GCSE’s which In India we call something else but they are equivalent to GCSEs as many universities in uk recognise the same exams we give as a levels at the same exam board I gave my exams in . So I want to do Medicine and I’m doing my a levels in England currently . my parents moved to the UK in 2016 I’m a British citizen so my question is that I’m getting scared as I haven’t done GCSEs but I’ve done the equivalent will they accept my application or reject me and also am I eligible for home fees .
Original post by Bobo344
Hello everyone , I was studying in India till my GCSE’s which In India we call something else but they are equivalent to GCSEs as many universities in uk recognise the same exams we give as a levels at the same exam board I gave my exams in . So I want to do Medicine and I’m doing my a levels in England currently . my parents moved to the UK in 2016 I’m a British citizen so my question is that I’m getting scared as I haven’t done GCSEs but I’ve done the equivalent will they accept my application or reject me and also am I eligible for home fees .

Someone please reply
Look at the entry requirements for the courses you’re applying for, and they should give information on the equivalent qualifications they accepted. Or you could email each university individually and explain your situation. If you’re a British citizen then you’d be entitled to pay home fees. However, I thought you had to have lived in the UK for 5+ years to be eligible to apply for citizenship?
Original post by chooseanother
Look at the entry requirements for the courses you’re applying for, and they should give information on the equivalent qualifications they accepted. Or you could email each university individually and explain your situation. If you’re a British citizen then you’d be entitled to pay home fees. However, I thought you had to have lived in the UK for 5+ years to be eligible to apply for citizenship?

Oh actually I was born here and my father and grandfather are both British citizens
Original post by Bobo344

If the qualifications you took in India are equivalent to GCSEs, the Unis will accept them as such - they are very used to having applicants from many different countries and will be able to easily check your qualification equivalency. So there is no reason why they would reject you on the basis of not having UK GCSEs.

The issue of home fees I am not too sure about. My advice is to email the Admissions office of one of the unis you are interested in attending, and ask them for advice about how they would assess your fee status, if you applied there.
Original post by chooseanother

But thank you so much also I am planning to email the universities just that I feel that at that time they probably will not. Bother actually thinking about seeing whether they are equivalent qualifications or not they will just reject it
Contact universities regarding your qualifications, they will tell you if they're accepted or not. You might find that some do, and others don't. Contact them by email, not phone.

As for the fee status, you probably won't get an answer from the universities. Look up the relevant legislation to find an answer there.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Bobo344
But thank you so much also I am planning to email the universities just that I feel that at that time they probably will not. Bother actually thinking about seeing whether they are equivalent qualifications or not they will just reject it

Oh okay your situation makes sense now. There’s no harm in asking them, and universities are more likely to be interested in your A-levels than your GCSEs. Plus there’s lots of international Indian students who would’ve done the equivalent qualifications and got accepted. There’s no reason why they’d reject you for that.
Reply 8
Original post by Bobo344

Hey hey, so about your qualifications, I would suggest contacting a few universities by either phone or email and asking them specifically if they would accept your qualifications. I know it might be a bit scary at first but don't worry, the people are usually helpful and they'll give you more information about anything you need to know so just contact them directly.

As for the fees, I believe you should be eligible for home status as you have lived in the UK for the past three years (a condition that must be met in order to qualify for home status).
Original post by prsn.
Hey hey, so about your qualifications, I would suggest contacting a few universities by either phone or email and asking them specifically if they would accept your qualifications. I know it might be a bit scary at first but don't worry, the people are usually helpful and they'll give you more information about anything you need to know so just contact them directly.

As for the fees, I believe you should be eligible for home status as you have lived in the UK for the past three years (a condition that must be met in order to qualify for home status).

Yah I probably will email them and regarding the fee status my parents moved in like 2016 so clearly I’ve been living here just that I was in a boarding school there soooo well idk maybe I won’t mention it lol
Reply 10
Original post by Bobo344
Yah I probably will email them and regarding the fee status my parents moved in like 2016 so clearly I’ve been living here just that I was in a boarding school there soooo well idk maybe I won’t mention it lol

Yes, that's good because then you'll get more detailed information. By the way, unis focus more on your A level grades so you'll be fine. As for the fees, it depends on where you've lived for the past three years and since you've lived in the UK, you qualify for home status.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending