The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Underscore__
Seems to be going the opposite way, more and more people are being forced to pay for a tv licence

And the price is being bumped up by £4,50.

Now millions more will be pumped into the BBC, and they’ll continue to run these pathetic excuses of news ariticles.
Original post by Occitanie
And the price is being bumped up by £4,50.

Now millions more will be pumped into the BBC, and they’ll continue to run these pathetic excuses of news ariticles.

At least you’ll have TSR to give you all the news stories you need, along with ‘expert’ commentary
Reply 42
It continues to produce excellent TV and something like 90% of the population uses at least one BBC Service a week.

And its hardly expensive. £150 per year, which can be split between housemates and paid in instalments.
Figures for the final three months of 2018 show the BBC’s flagship news and current affairs station reached 10.5 million Britons a week, down 750,000 on the same period last year, while BBC 5 Live lost 10% of its audience in the last 12 months and is now listened to by fewer than 5 million people a week.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/feb/07/bbc-radio-4-sheds-750000-listeners-in-year-rajar-figures-commercial-rivals

No trouble believing that, as a former regular. It sucks more by the day, with their luvvies wanting to save the world and the relentless anti-Brexit propaganda. The more politicized the thing gets and the more people will desert it, not that they care. It's public, they could loose half their audiences and still would carry on regardless.

Someone who has a long-time involvement with Radio 2 says bluntly: “The managers are mainly s**t. And there are so many of them that, if you complain to one of them about something, they tell you the decision was made by another one. But when you go to see the other one, they tell you it was the first one.”

That complaint relates to the fact that BBC Radio has three separate, very senior figureheads. James Purnell, a former Labour cabinet minister, is Director, Radio and Education, while Bob Shennan is Director, Radio and Music, but the heads of the networks (including Lewis Carnie at Radio 2) actually report to a third person, Graham Ellis, who is Controller, Production (Radio). The salaries of this trinity cost the licence payer around £778,000 a year.
(edited 5 years ago)
This isn't "feminism" this is just pure bull****
Original post by HowToBeABlobfish
This isn't "feminism" this is just pure bull****

It's the brand of feminism where women benefit from special rights, not the egalitarian one. Anyway, the luvvies at the Beeb are no more than useful idiots in a much wider context of change at the Corporation.
Original post by Libtardian
Which I don't, but that also means you can't watch live TV (legally).

There's nothing good on live TV anyway, are you really missing anything. You can get news from the radio (and BBC Radio 4 and the World Service are still as excellent as it ever was), and pretty much all the programmes you might want to watch are available online. Even BBC programmes are available without a TV License as long as you aren't watching as it's being broadcast.

What I'd like to see, personally, is iPlayer becoming a subscription service like Netflix et al, with live broadcasting being minimized and free.
Original post by zhog
It's the brand of feminism where women benefit from special rights, not the egalitarian one. Anyway, the luvvies at the Beeb are no more than useful idiots in a much wider context of change at the Corporation.

I'm a feminist but I just think that everyone should have equal rights, nothing special, and nothing ridiculous like this.
Reply 48
i feel that the bbc is riduculise however we have to study The Missing which was a series on the bbc is good there but other stuff isn't that good
Here's the head of News and Current Affairs, to help us understand where they come from:

In December 2005, Unsworth appeared on the BBC's Newswatch programme, facing accusations of double standards in BBC News reporting of racial crimes when white people were the victims. Complainants suggested the BBC buried stories such as the racist murder of Kriss Donald, with comparable murders involving black victims given twelve times more coverage and the opening of an arts centre in Gateshead reported in preference to Donald's murder. Unsworh admitted the case had not been covered sufficiently and that there had been space to do so. Her department again failed to cover the case adequately the following year. In 2011 BBC News was criticised for referring to looters in the 2011 London riots as "protesters", even two days into the violence. In response to 62 complaints about the matter, Unsworth conceded that the BBC had been wrong to do so.

In August 2014, Unsworth ordered helicopter filming of a police raid on a mansion belonging to Cliff Richard. The coverage led to the singer suing the BBC for breach of privacy. On 8 May 2018 The Guardian reported that, "Sir Cliff Richard is seeking a payment of at least £560,000 from the BBC following the broadcaster’s coverage of a police raid at his home in 2014". In July 2018 Sir Cliff won his case for damages.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fran_Unsworth

She studied drama at the University of Manchester.
The article is literally just "we got the opinions of 4 randos who did this campaign which may or may not be a bit dumb"

Calm down lads.
Reply 51
Original post by DSilva
It continues to produce excellent TV and something like 90% of the population uses at least one BBC Service a week.

And its hardly expensive. £150 per year, which can be split between housemates and paid in instalments.

Excellent TV and the BBC do not exactly go hand in hand. Much better programmes on ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5 on much smaller budgets.

I see the BBC like an exclusive club where you have to pay to join but when you get in there you realise you only have a choice of 3 beers none of which are particularly nice so you walk out of there and find one of the decent pubs down the road which have a good selection of quality beers.

I pay as much for my TV licence as I do for the rest of my TV programmes on Virgin Media. Not exactly good value. The BBC is just another government parasite which is severely biased in its reporting. If the people pay for this service they should at least expect unbiased reporting!
Reply 52
Original post by nutz99
Excellent TV and the BBC do not exactly go hand in hand. Much better programmes on ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5 on much smaller budgets.

I see the BBC like an exclusive club where you have to pay to join but when you get in there you realise you only have a choice of 3 beers none of which are particularly nice so you walk out of there and find one of the decent pubs down the road which have a good selection of quality beers.

I pay as much for my TV licence as I do for the rest of my TV programmes on Virgin Media. Not exactly good value. The BBC is just another government parasite which is severely biased in its reporting. If the people pay for this service they should at least expect unbiased reporting!

That's not quite correct. The BBC continues to produce excellent and widespread programmes.

The Bodyguard was the most watched series last year, Strictly Come Dancing always has very high ratings, Dr Who, David Attenborough's documentaries, the Missing as well. In recent years its also produced shows like Bake Off which were very highly rated and widely watched , as well as shows like Peaky Blinders, the Thick of It, the Office, Gavin and Stacey, Little Britain...to name a few
Reply 53
Original post by DSilva
That's not quite correct. The BBC continues to produce excellent and widespread programmes.

The Bodyguard was the most watched series last year, Strictly Come Dancing always has very high ratings, Dr Who, David Attenborough's documentaries, the Missing as well. In recent years its also produced shows like Bake Off which were very highly rated and widely watched , as well as shows like Peaky Blinders, the Thick of It, the Office, Gavin and Stacey, Little Britain...to name a few

You're talking about a small number of quality programmes over a long period of years. They receive billions in funding, most of which comes from the TV licence. You could put out what the BBC does on a much smaller budget.

Firstly they should be providing more quality programmes and paying their staff a lot less. Secondly they need to be politically impartial. Quite clearly from the documentaries they make there is no impartiality. This is also reflected in their "news" channels - I call them news but they have become propaganda channels.

If the public are paying for the BBC they should have some say in how it is run. Until a political party pays for it the BBC should not have a political view! Personally I would scrap the TV licence and then see how well they do with sponsors.
Reply 54
Original post by nutz99
You're talking about a small number of quality programmes over a long period of years. They receive billions in funding, most of which comes from the TV licence. You could put out what the BBC does on a much smaller budget.

Firstly they should be providing more quality programmes and paying their staff a lot less. Secondly they need to be politically impartial. Quite clearly from the documentaries they make there is no impartiality. This is also reflected in their "news" channels - I call them news but they have become propaganda channels.

If the public are paying for the BBC they should have some say in how it is run. Until a political party pays for it the BBC should not have a political view! Personally I would scrap the TV licence and then see how well they do with sponsors.

It produces a lot of quality programmes and something like 90% of the population uses one of its services on a weekly basis. It also makes money by selling the rights to its programmes to be shown in other countries.

It's staff shouldn't be paid less. Its also not particularly based, despite what people claim. The fact that both those on the right and left accusd it of bias probably shows it does a decent job of representing both sides.

Also, the no adverts thing is a particular draw. It's rather annoying there being a 4 minute break for every 15 minutes of TV.
Hey lads, I spy a news story that ain't about Brexit! We've found El dorado!
Reply 56
Original post by DSilva
It produces a lot of quality programmes and something like 90% of the population uses one of its services on a weekly basis. It also makes money by selling the rights to its programmes to be shown in other countries.

Stats show that the BBC are losing more viewers/listeners every year - that 90% is probably a few years old. Just too much competition out there. Also any company that sells their programmes make money out of it - probably not as much as you think. Take Dr who for example. The copyright is shared, the writers get a cut as do the creators of the monsters so the BBC does not get it all.

Original post by DSilva
It's staff shouldn't be paid less.
There has been outcry in the press about how much BBC pay their staff. If you haven't seen the comparisons you shouldn't comment.

Original post by DSilva
Its also not particularly based, despite what people claim. The fact that both those on the right and left accusd it of bias probably shows it does a decent job of representing both sides.
The BBC have been shown to be biased. When they commented on the recent yellow vest protests they called them "right wing" simply because they were protesting about the government. Not right wing, just ordinary people. They never report on anything anymore without an opinion. It is down to them to report the news factually and let us have our opinion, not make it for us. Even on Brexit they have been completely biased. There again the EU gives them huge grants so you are never going to get any facts from the BBC about Brexit.

About time the BBC and the licence fee were scrapped!

Original post by DSilva
Also, the no adverts thing is a particular draw. It's rather annoying there being a 4 minute break for every 15 minutes of TV.
I just record and fast forward.
Reply 57
Original post by nutz99
Stats show that the BBC are losing more viewers/listeners every year - that 90% is probably a few years old. Just too much competition out there. Also any company that sells their programmes make money out of it - probably not as much as you think. Take Dr who for example. The copyright is shared, the writers get a cut as do the creators of the monsters so the BBC does not get it all.

BBC still gets a lot.

There has been outcry in the press about how much BBC pay their staff. If you haven't seen the comparisons you shouldn't comment.

It doesn't pay more than it's private sector competitors. It needs to pay similar amounts to attract high quality employees.

The BBC have been shown to be biased. When they commented on the recent yellow vest protests they called them "right wing" simply because they were protesting about the government. Not right wing, just ordinary people. They never report on anything anymore without an opinion. It is down to them to report the news factually and let us have our opinion, not make it for us. Even on Brexit they have been completely biased. There again the EU gives them huge grants so you are never going to get any facts from the BBC about Brexit.

You conveniently ignore the times it has been biased towards the right. Overall it does a rather good job. Some people just seem to think everything is biased against them.

Many of the yellow vesters were right wing.

You do realise many left wing people think the BBC is biased against the left? You can't both be right.

About time the BBC and the licence fee were scrapped!

I just record and fast forward.

Nah, we need a state broadcaster and it continues to produce high quality programmes.

You can't fast forward live TV. No adverts is a huge plus.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 58
Original post by DSilva
You conveniently ignore the times it has been biased towards the right. Overall it does a rather good job. Some people just seem to think everything is biased against them.

Many of the yellow vesters were right wing.

You do realise many left wing people think the BBC is biased against the left? You can't both be right.

Actually they can be biased against both the left and right when it suits them. The BBC is not about reporting news any more but about sensationalizing the news and will either blame the far left or the far right depending on which way that will swing the story. The BBC did used to be independent years ago but are now being used by their sponsors.

As for the yellow vests there were a small amount of far left and far right that tried to infiltrate them but the honest press out there have reported that most were non politically motivated, as could be seen by the videos which showed many women and children.
Reply 59
Original post by nutz99
Actually they can be biased against both the left and right when it suits them. The BBC is not about reporting news any more but about sensationalizing the news and will either blame the far left or the far right depending on which way that will swing the story. The BBC did used to be independent years ago but are now being used by their sponsors.

As for the yellow vests there were a small amount of far left and far right that tried to infiltrate them but the honest press out there have reported that most were non politically motivated, as could be seen by the videos which showed many women and children.

It's not perfect, but it's certainly less biased than any other media outlet.

Protesting the government is politically motivated. Of course it is. It's not an insult to say that. The BBC did make clear that there were protestors from the right and left.
(edited 5 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending