The Student Room Group

Is it a red flag to employers if I don't use social media?

Would employers be concerned if I don't have commonly used social media accounts like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or if I did use Facebook, but only had 20 friends on it? I do have a LinkedIn account though, with nearly 100 connections with random people in the industry I want to work in lol.
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Of course not. I don’t use social media. It is risky if you do use it as you have to be very careful as to what you post or what your friends post or tag you in.
It is more likely to be an advantage
Reply 3
Original post by A-LevelStudent17
Of course not. I don’t use social media. It is risky if you do use it as you have to be very careful as to what you post or what your friends post or tag you in.

That's good to hear... because I'm quite a private person and generally don't post updates about what I'm doing. I mainly use Twitter to see other people's tweets, rather than posting my own.
LinkedIn is all that employers really care about, in fact they would prefer if you Didn't have other social media accounts because they want employees to give a **** about the work assigned to them
If I was an employer, I would be happy to know that someone isn't all about that social media shizz ngl
Original post by frostfly
That's good to hear... because I'm quite a private person and generally don't post updates about what I'm doing. I mainly use Twitter to see other people's tweets, rather than posting my own.

I haven’t got the time of day for social media
Original post by JoshDarnIt
If I was an employer, I would be happy to know that someone isn't all about that social media shizz

I would be the same
Reply 8
I wouldn't imagine any employers wouldn't give you a job for not using social media. Unless it was for a position which required a lot of social media knowledge or networking on these platforms, but the fact that a person doesn't use social media would suggest they wouldn't really be applying for these positions anyway.

I'm sure that employers, especially in this day and age, would understand some people choosing to not be on social media.

Although, if you do have it and it aligns with the person that you have purported to be in the interview then it would look good on you.
Would employers be concerned if I don't have commonly used social media accounts like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or if I did use Facebook, but only had 20 friends on it? I do have a LinkedIn account though, with nearly 100 connections with random people in the industry I want to work in lol.

i think it is important not to give off the impression you are abnormal or particularly insular.
Original post by CollectiveSoul
i think it is important not to give off the impression you are abnormal or particularly insular.

That's fine then, not having social media doesn't give off any such impression as being abnormal or insular. Realistically speaking, even a lot people who do happen to have social media accounts tend to be completely inactive on them most of the time.

It might be more normal for people who are still in school/college/university but a lot of people getting out into the world of work and settling down a bit in life often lose interest in the whole thing and simply don't have the time for it any more.
(edited 5 years ago)
wait, why should that be concerning? i don't use social media that much either.
Reply 12
Original post by goggleyed
wait, why should that be concerning? i don't use social media that much either.

No particular reason. Just something that came into mind.
No particular reason. Just something that came into mind.

honestly if i was hiring people i'd prefer someone who didn't have social media over someone who was addicted to it
but thats just me
To be honest, once you're past interview i doubt they'd care, they're just looking to see if you're socially awkward.

British employers uniquely dislike anyone who doesn't "fit in" far more so than other countries.
Reply 15
Original post by goggleyed
honestly if i was hiring people i'd prefer someone who didn't have social media over someone who was addicted to it
but thats just me

when I do use social media it's more to keep in touch with my friends, rather than viewing content. some of the contents on social media are just trash.
Original post by winterscoming
That's fine then, not having social media doesn't give off any such impression as being abnormal or insular. Realistically speaking, even a lot people who do happen to have social media accounts tend to be completely inactive on them most of the time.

It might be more normal for people who are still in school/college/university but a lot of people getting out into the world of work and settling down a bit in life often lose interest in the whole thing and simply don't have the time for it any more.

it really depends. if you are a doctor and your employer is the NHS they won't care. but in, say an agency, they will want people who are tech-savvy and interested in helping the agency's visibility and activity in social media.
Original post by CollectiveSoul
it really depends. if you are a doctor and your employer is the NHS they won't care. but in, say an agency, they will want people who are tech-savvy and interested in helping the agency's visibility and activity in social media.

This is the only case where I think it might be an issue. Agencies act a bit like the forgotten middle-child of the work environment - they're totally bothered about generating positive attention and do like people with a proven track record of standing out. They'll be the types hiring people who start a parody account that gets 10k followers or former band members (seen that personally).

But generally OP, no.
(edited 5 years ago)
All depends upon the job - for some it's a disadvantage and others a positive advantage that you don't splash your life all over social media. Some careers very much require that you don't identify your work on a public platform and others have very strict social media policies and may regard the kind of person who shares every aspect of their lives as a risk. There are far more tales of people losing their jobs or not being employed in the first place due to ill advised social media postings than there are tales of people losing their jobs for not being active enough (apart from those where social media presence is an essential part of their role).

Not at all, it really depends what job your going for! Most of them wouldn't require this!
Sophia

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending