The Student Room Group

Housemates in first year?

Hello again. I was wondering if anyone else has went and lived in private rented housing with housemates during their first year rather than stay in halls. For those who have, how did you go about finding housemates? I'm a bit afraid of getting a place sorted then ending up having to pay for the whole place myself in the event of no one else renting.
Original post by Haze-raccoon
Hello again. I was wondering if anyone else has went and lived in private rented housing with housemates during their first year rather than stay in halls. For those who have, how did you go about finding housemates? I'm a bit afraid of getting a place sorted then ending up having to pay for the whole place myself in the event of no one else renting.

What are your reasons for avoiding halls? You could look for people who are looking for a housemate as advertised on Facebook groups or university notice boards. There are also houseshares you could look into, although you don't know a lot about your housemates before you move in.
Some student landlords will assist you in finding a house which has a spare room. You would have to accept being financially bound into living in a house with 3+ other people who could be God sent Angels or the messiest people to ever live.

Honestly if you can, I'd recommend living in halls in 1st year. Student houses are usually occupied by groups of students who reasonably know each other.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending