The Student Room Group

How do you deal with exam failure?

Hey guys, I recently got the results of a mock exam I took and I failed miserably. I can't stop feeling sad and upset. I don't understand what went wrong as I tried really hard. I want to know how you guys cope with exam failure? I'd really appreciate some tips. Thanks x
Original post by Anonymous
Hey guys, I recently got the results of a mock exam I took and I failed miserably. I can't stop feeling sad and upset. I don't understand what went wrong as I tried really hard. I want to know how you guys cope with exam failure? I'd really appreciate some tips. Thanks x

I know its difficult, but you need to look objectively at where you went wrong, do you have a mark scheme to go with it to compare your answers to.
Reply 2

First of all what did you get and what are your target grades?

View it as something to learn from. Remember it's only a mock exam so it's not the end of the world! There's plenty of time to improve from now and the real exam.

See if you can get back your exam paper and meet with a teacher and ask them to go through it. Make a note of what you did well and what you need to work on. You might find that while you had the knowledge for the exam, you didn't know how to answer the question in the style the exam paper wanted.

Lucy

Even though it is hard, but forget that you failed and try again to pass. Take the time to get a clear mind and go on then.

Well I got a grade U for History and my predicted is a C, so applying that to here:
- I first compare what I did to what my classmates did and see why exactly I didn't get the higher marks (normally I overlook a point or get the structure wrong).
- I then look at the mark scheme and scrutinise my work a bit more and mentally rewrite the answer till it seems ayt.
- I make a side note of revising the topics I flunked before the real thing.

NOTE: I don't put much effort in revision, so that was the main reason I got the U in History. However, what I wrote is what I normally do when I feel motivated enough to bother.
(edited 5 years ago)
I really struggle with exam failure, what I try to remember is that it is only a mock. Everyone has bad days when it comes to exams. Also you can view it as a learning experiment, was it the first time you have seen an exam in that subject. Sometimes it isn't because your knowledge on exam (you could know all the content) and still fail an exam. It can take practice to get use to how to answer the exam questions, how to manage your timings in an exam etc.

I'm sure you will be fine in the real exam, and ask your teachers if you need help on exam technique and advice.
Hope this helps

Exams can be tough, you could have revised and know everything you need to know but the stress and pressure of the actual exam can make you draw a blank. I had a nose bleed in one of my exams, it was all over my hands and even on the paper hahaha, now I realise how many different options are available if I didn't get the grade i needed, i think how silly I was panicking so much. Take your mock as a warm up then on the day, try to relax and do the best you can do, go over your paper to correct anything, make sure you answer all the questions, don't forget your Grammar too. After all that if you still don't get the the minimum grade needed for your next step, then talk to a career adviser to look at other ways or perhaps talk to the College, Uni and see if resitting is an option. Don't give up, There is a huge variety of courses and career paths you can choose from, you have many years a head, a few years of learning lost isn't as bad as you think.
Reply 8

Same, I got a grade 5 in maths and I wanted at least a grade 6/7 since last time I got a grade 6 What I did do is:
- talk to the teacher : they sat down with me went through my exam and promised me she would help me on the areas I was lacking yay! :smile:
- didnt pay attention to others results. If i did it would make me feel pretty dumb lol!
- and now I am working even more hard since I want a grade 7/8 in the real GCSE's so hopefully I will get those grades haha
Well, there's always London Met.
Hi,
Yes we got a mark scheme to go with our exam paper. I'm trying to look at this whole thing positively but it's really hard
Original post by claireestelle
I know its difficult, but you need to look objectively at where you went wrong, do you have a mark scheme to go with it to compare your answers to.
I got a U grade on my AS Biology mock exam. We take real AS exams in May. My target grade is a C.
Original post by IMD16
First of all what did you get and what are your target grades?
That's exactly it! We are going to go over it in more detail soon so I hope I will be ready for the real AS exams in May.
Original post by hallamstudents
View it as something to learn from. Remember it's only a mock exam so it's not the end of the world! There's plenty of time to improve from now and the real exam.

See if you can get back your exam paper and meet with a teacher and ask them to go through it. Make a note of what you did well and what you need to work on. You might find that while you had the knowledge for the exam, you didn't know how to answer the question in the style the exam paper wanted.

Lucy
That's exactly it! We are going to go over it in more detail soon so I hope I will be ready for the real AS exams in May.

Best thing to do is to practice as many past papers as possible. Once you've exhausted that come up with your own questions and practice answering them. Make sure you give every paper you do to a teacher to mark- maybe aim to do one or two a week.

Lucy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending