The Student Room Group

5 A Levels?

I know this question is asked a lot but I really want to take 5 A levels: Maths, FM, Physics, Chemistry, and Computer Science. I'm aware taking five will give me no advantage in terms of getting into uni, but I'm interested in all of them, and if I were not to take one I would probably read around it anyway.
I'm predicted all 8/9's and I find the current workload too light, and get bored at the lack of work (I learnt ahead in many of my subjects so now I have nothing to do in class), and all of the A levels I want to take I enjoy doing work for. I find GCSE maths and computing too easy and have started looking into the A level content, so hopefully this will mean less of a step change.
If the workload became too much, I could always drop one of them at some point during the year. Doing an EPQ doesn't interest me either (if I took 4 I would be strongly encouraged to do an EPQ).
Is this a bad idea?
Thank you for your time :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It’s up to you. You can’t ask people if it’s a ‘bad idea’ you just know what people will say. Obviously taking 5 A Levels might be stressful. People on the internet aren’t gonna change that. It’s your life your choice so do the 5 and if you don’t like it drop 1 or 2. Simple.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by leo03
I know this question is asked a lot but I really want to take 5 A levels: Maths, FM, Physics, Chemistry, and Computer Science. I'm aware taking five will give me no advantage in terms of getting into uni, but I'm interested in all of them, and if I were not to take one I would probably read around it anyway.
I'm predicted all 8/9's and I find the current workload too light, and get bored at the lack of work (I learnt ahead in many of my subjects so now I have nothing to do in class), and all of the A levels I want to take I enjoy doing work for. I find GCSE maths and computing too easy and have started looking into the A level content, so hopefully this will mean less of a step change.
If the workload became too much, I could always drop one of them at some point during the year. Doing an EPQ doesn't interest me either (if I took 4 I would be strongly encouraged to do an EPQ).
Is this a bad idea?

GCSE’s are really nothing compared to A levels.... it’s a HUGE jump. Someone who was to revise 2 weeks before GCSEs could easily pass but with A levels? No way unless you’re Einstein or naturally clever. 3 A levels and an EPQ is more than sufficient. I’d rather focus on 3 (the required amount) and do absolutely amazing in them than do 5 and not do so well.

So would I encourage you taking on 5 a levels? No. It’s definitely not easy even though it may seem easy.
Original post by alexchig
I think it’s perfectly fine to take five, especially if they interest you. I am in MVI, taking Maths, Futher Maths, Economics, Physics, and History (I did an EPQ as well), and while workload is certainly greater than with doing fewer, I enjoy doing all of them.
Having five could actually give a slight advantage when applying to universities - but only if you get high predictions, obviously.
You might consider that usually people find studying A-Levels harder than GCSEs (not surprisingly), so maybe four or three will prove enough for you. However, it probably won’t hurt to try more.
Also, as it was said, you can always drop a subject or two if you feel it’s too much.

Of course, it depends on the individual and their capability as a student however it’s not something I’d recommend to everyone lol. You could always try it but you gotta admit, you have to work your arse off from day 1 if you want them As and A stars.
I would say it is too many. Why do you need more than you are required?
Yeah its a pretty bad idea.

I revised a week before my GCSEs and got all 9's and A*

I currently do 4 A-Levels: Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics
+ EPQ

It's a pretty big step up and you have no advantage over any other student by doing 5. If you're interested in that subject just read it I guess. Trust me that you don't want to take 5 all the way upto A Level.
Original post by leo03
Is this a bad idea?
As long as you keep up with the concepts involved, that should be fine. Two things to bear in mind: firstly, Chemistry will involve a large amount of learning to acquire the knowledge you need to succeed at A-level. Be prepared to take difficult decisions about maintaining your workload. And secondly, listen to what your teachers and tutors tell you. If they tell you to lighten the load, then you must please listen. Spreading yourself too thinly is a real danger with 5 A-levels.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 7
thanks for the honest reply, I think I'm going to talk to my teachers because they know the content well :smile:
Original post by timif1
It’s up to you. You can’t ask people if it’s a ‘bad idea’ you just know what people will say. Obviously taking 5 A Levels might be stressful. People on the internet aren’t gonna change that. It’s your life your choice so do the 5 and if you don’t like it drop 1 or 2. Simple.
Reply 8
yeah, I'm going to talk to my teachers, but these subjects are the ones I find the easiest so hopefully the workload will be lighter because of that
Original post by 学生の父
As long as you keep up with the concepts involved, that should be fine. Two things to bear in mind: firstly, Chemistry will involve a large amount of learning to acquire the knowledge you need to succeed at A-level. Be prepared to take difficult decisions about maintaining your workload. And secondly, listen to what your teachers and tutors tell you. If they tell you to lighten the load, then you must please listen. Spreading yourself too thinly is a real danger with 5 A-levels.
Reply 9
I wouldn't be doing EPQ so would that make it better? I'm kind of taking the fifth to replace EPQ because they expect you to do it at my school if you're taking 4
Original post by aimscopes
Yeah its a pretty bad idea.

I revised a week before my GCSEs and got all 9's and A*

I currently do 4 A-Levels: Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics
+ EPQ

It's a pretty big step up and you have no advantage over any other student by doing 5. If you're interested in that subject just read it I guess. Trust me that you don't want to take 5 all the way upto A Level.
Reply 10
I just find them all really interesting and I don't do a lot out of school so I have more free time than most.
Original post by mjhmichael18
I would say it is too many. Why do you need more than you are required?
Reply 11
you're right, but I'm willing to work for these as I really enjoy them. :smile:
(Original post by ks234r)
Of course, it depends on the individual and their capability as a student however it’s not something I’d recommend to everyone lol. You could always try it but you gotta admit, you have to work your arse off from day 1 if you want them As and A stars.
Reply 12
That's what I was thinking (it doesn't hurt to try more), but everyone keeps telling me it's a stupid idea
Original post by alexchig
I think it’s perfectly fine to take five, especially if they interest you. I am in MVI, taking Maths, Futher Maths, Economics, Physics, and History (I did an EPQ as well), and while workload is certainly greater than with doing fewer, I enjoy doing all of them.
Having five could actually give a slight advantage when applying to universities - but only if you get high predictions, obviously.
You might consider that usually people find studying A-Levels harder than GCSEs (not surprisingly), so maybe four or three will prove enough for you. However, it probably won’t hurt to try more.
Also, as it was said, you can always drop a subject or two if you feel it’s too much.
Original post by leo03
I just find them all really interesting and I don't do a lot out of school so I have more free time than most.

I’d rather do something out of school. When it comes to going to uni and writing a personal statement that is more important and it’s really what makes a difference between you and other applicants, and even if doing 5 A levels is impressive, I’m doing 4 and I don’t feel like this gave me an advantage over the people who are doing 3 in terms of uni applications and I applied for medicine which is very competitive
Reply 14
I don't think it will be easy, I just think that some of the ones I'm taking aren't that challenging, I know a few people who are taking five and I get similar grades to them- not that this is an excuse to make a bad decision, but it's easier to drop a subject then pick one up, so I don't think there's much harm in trying it(?) Either way it's your opinion and you have more experience than me, so I will take your advice into account:smile:
Original post by ks234r
GCSE’s are really nothing compared to A levels.... it’s a HUGE jump. Someone who was to revise 2 weeks before GCSEs could easily pass but with A levels? No way unless you’re Einstein or naturally clever. 3 A levels and an EPQ is more than sufficient. I’d rather focus on 3 (the required amount) and do absolutely amazing in them than do 5 and not do so well.

So would I encourage you taking on 5 a levels? No. It’s definitely not easy even though it may seem easy.
Reply 15
I'm not really bothered about doing it for the personal statement, I'd rather do something I'd enjoy more than revolving my choices around getting into uni, I'm aware that's important, but it's not to top priority for me. Good luck with the medicine though, I hope it goes well :smile:
Original post by _mihaelach
I’d rather do something out of school. When it comes to going to uni and writing a personal statement that is more important and it’s really what makes a difference between you and other applicants, and even if doing 5 A levels is impressive, I’m doing 4 and I don’t feel like this gave me an advantage over the people who are doing 3 in terms of uni applications and I applied for medicine which is very competitive
Original post by ks234r

I agree.
Plus dont be afraid to drop one if it gets too much.
Reply 17
Thanks, and yeah that's good advice :smile:
Original post by Emma:-)
I agree.
Plus dont be afraid to drop one if it gets too much.
You know yourself better than any of us, but what I will say is that I didn't revise at all for my GCSEs and got straight As, but I started hardcore revising for my AS levels in February and got ACC. Basically, what I'm trying to say is it's a MASSIVE jump from GCSE to A levels, and I know everyone says that, but it really really is.

On a more encouraging note, you're right in saying if it gets too much you can just drop them. Universities don't really care if you take more than three subjects, so long as you get the required grades.
Reply 19
Yeah, I will talk to my teachers about it and get their advice too, but my mindset is that I can drop one if it's too much
Original post by connor.beja
You know yourself better than any of us, but what I will say is that I didn't revise at all for my GCSEs and got straight As, but I started hardcore revising for my AS levels in February and got ACC. Basically, what I'm trying to say is it's a MASSIVE jump from GCSE to A levels, and I know everyone says that, but it really really is.

On a more encouraging note, you're right in saying if it gets too much you can just drop them. Universities don't really care if you take more than three subjects, so long as you get the required grades.

Quick Reply

Latest