The Student Room Group

Home Office quotes Bible verses to prove Christianity is not a religion of peace

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6832721/Home-Office-letter-quotes-bible-verses-prove-Christianity-NOT-religion-peace.html

any Christian who's read their whole Bible should be able to see the humour in this. (in my opinion of course)😂😂😂

Scroll to see replies

I think you could quite easily show some statistics that show that Christianity is far more of a "religion of peace" than certain other ones.
The violence in the Bible is no laughing matter. The god that Christians worship is well known to be a vengeful, violent, brutish and arbitrary despot, threatening cruel retribution to sinners and non-believers, and perpetrating genocide on several occasions. The Book of Revelations is particularly nasty in its dire prognostication.
Original post by Good bloke
The violence in the Bible is no laughing matter. The god that Christians worship is well known to be a vengeful, violent, brutish and arbitrary despot, threatening cruel retribution to sinners and non-believers, and perpetrating genocide on several occasions. The Book of Revelations is particularly nasty in its dire prognostication.

Even as a Catholic, I second this.
that is an unbelievably ridiculous letter. even on TSR it would be hard to find equivalent nonsensitude.

I was laughing at the verses the home office used to back up their claim.

well I acknowledge your opinion on God and what you think he is like, thanks for letting me know🙂 I however think He's great, and personally, the book of revelation is my second favourite book of the Bible, the first being the book of judges.
Original post by Leviathan1611
I however think He's great

Well, obviously, if you have a penchant for worshipping vengeful, violent, brutish and arbitrary despots then your god is as good as any. As for the books, my own favourite, as it gives light relief, is human, does not try to lay down any arbitrary rules and written by an entertainer is Song of Solomon.
Well, obviously, if you have a penchant for worshipping vengeful, violent, brutish and arbitrary despots then your god is as good as any. As for the books, my own favourite, as it gives light relief, is human, does not try to lay down any arbitrary rules and written by an entertainer is Song of Solomon.

okay🙂
Say what you like about Samson, but he gave the Philistines a bloody good spanking.
A ludicrous letter for any government department assessor to even consider addressing to a non-academic. :mad:
Let alone an asylum claims case worker who is supposed to rigorously adhere to Home Office policies that assess applicants based upon the current facts and their personal circumstances.
An amateur literary critique of the bible based solely upon a dubious grasp of theology conflating fundamentalism with Christianity and research based upon anonymous internet user created content.

Pathetic.
On the plus side, a vulnerable asylum applicant will probably be granted fast tracked UK citizenship. :smile:
Home office, really?
Original post by the bear
Say what you like about Samson, but he gave the Philistines a bloody good spanking.

But think of the cruelty he perpetrated on that poor ass. Surely he could have afforded a sword, or a club? :smh:

One thing you are forgetting, rightfully vengeful, rightfully violent and rightfully brutish
Original post by JaJa18796
One thing you are forgetting, rightfully vengeful, rightfully violent and rightfully brutish

If you want to live in a world where personal vengeance and brutish violence are right then I can suggest a few places that might fit the bill. Fortunately, we don't go for it much around here, even for gods.
Original post by AperfectBalance
I think you could quite easily show some statistics that show that Christianity is far more of a "religion of peace" than certain other ones.

Certainly can try.
Let's start with the statistics from all the papal medieval inquisitions, progress onto ferdinand&isabella's spanish inquisition, then take the statistics from Foxe's Book of Martyrs plus all the relevant statistics from tudor/stuart/cromwell eras and then finally add the statistics involving all the victims of Matthew Hopkins.
For the purpose of comparison with the statistics of raëlism, scientology, jehovah's witnesses and pastafarianism.

Yes now it is.But it's history is long and bloody.The crusades ring a bell? The inquisition? The troubles? How about all those nice Catholic orphanages in northern Ireland where they murdered babies? Christianity is far from innocent.Its just mellowing in it's old age.Islam will too.
Original post by Onde
Vengeance, violence, and brutishness are fundamentally wrong.

If you want to live in a world where personal vengeance and brutish violence are right then I can suggest a few places that might fit the bill. Fortunately, we don't go for it much around here, even for gods.

No they are not. Think about it like this, God created this whole universe just for us and we saw that it was good. It was perfect.
But then sin got in and the world was under a curse. And humans continued to sin even though he warned them not to. Now if vengeance and violence and brutishness are not wrong if they are done in righteousness and God is without sin so he does all this in righteousness. But we are not righteous so our vengeance is sinful and not right
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by londonmyst
Certainly can try.
Let's start with the statistics from all the papal medieval inquisitions, progress onto ferdinand&isabella's spanish inquisition, then take the statistics from Foxe's Book of Martyrs plus all the relevant statistics from tudor/stuart/cromwell eras and then finally add the statistics involving all the victims of Matthew Hopkins.
For the purpose of comparison with the statistics of raëlism, scientology, jehovah's witnesses and pastafarianism.

Funny thing is at the moment I nor anyone else has to worry about Inquisitions or what was going on in the tudor period, we are talking about here and now, recent memory and looking at that then we are certainly doing better than the other real big religion of 'peace'
Original post by AJ126
Yes now it is.But it's history is long and bloody.The crusades ring a bell? The inquisition? The troubles? How about all those nice Catholic orphanages in northern Ireland where they murdered babies? Christianity is far from innocent.Its just mellowing in it's old age.Islam will too.

That’s true but the principles of christianity are to turn the check when hit
Funny thing is at the moment I nor anyone else has to worry about Inquisitions or what was going on in the tudor period, we are talking about here and now, recent memory and looking at that then we are certainly doing better than the other real big religion of 'peace'

We just have tyo worry about organised child abuse and the role of the church in covering it up, eh?
Original post by JaJa18796
No they are not. Think about it like this, God created this whole universe just for us and we saw that it was good. It was perfect.
But then sin got in and the world was under a curse. And humans continued to sin even though he warned them not to. Now if vengeance and violence and brutishness are not wrong if they are done in righteousness and God is without sin so he does all this in righteousness.

That is a circular justification of nastiness. God does it because it is OK if he does it. Twaddle! Circular or not, it is completely unacceptable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending