The Student Room Group

job centre said i can't stay on low benefit my whole life

Job centre said just because i got a disabling illness, i can't stay on low benefit (universal credit) my whole life as i am only 18. My advisor asked if i was in education or training and i said no. Its only been the second time that i went to the job centre. He said for me to think about whether i should go back to studying, do an apprenticeship or start full time work. I'm not sure what i should do, i can't study and i am not sure what i want to do in life. Should i just rush into a job then?
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

What is your illness that stops you having a job/studying? Job centre might be blunt or harsh but their purpose is to find a job for you.
Reply 2
Original post by hello_shawn
What is your illness that stops you having a job/studying? Job centre might be blunt or harsh but their purpose is to find a job for you.

Memory loss caused by constant migraines
Original post by idontkn
Memory loss caused by constant migraines

Then they'll find you unskilled work. Work that needs no training, or just 10 minutes of it before you're expected to know what to do. 1) it's better than nothing and 2) you can put it on a CV
Your advisor is doing the right thing. If you follow their advice, in 20 years' time you'd be extremely appreciative of their words.
You've said you can't study - do you think you could manage an apprenticeship?
If not, I'd give a job a try.

Whilst it's wrong for the job centre to tell you you *can't* be on benefits for the rest of your life, as for some disabled people there's sadly no other option... unless you're on ESA/declared not fit for work, then they won't keep paying you unless you are genuinely looking for work. So it's probably a good idea to try working and see what you can/can't manage with your condition - finding your limits might also then help inform you about potential future career options :smile: Plus, if you are able to work, you will be better off in the long run. Living off benefits isn't as easy and lucrative as some people think!
Reply 6
Original post by sophia5892

Whilst it's wrong for the job centre to tell you you *can't* be on benefits for the rest of your life, as for some disabled people there's sadly no other option... unless you're on ESA/declared not fit for work, then they won't keep paying you unless you are genuinely looking for work. So it's probably a good idea to try working and see what you can/can't manage with your condition - finding your limits might also then help inform you about potential future career options :smile: Plus, if you are able to work, you will be better off in the long run. Living off benefits isn't as easy and lucrative as some people think!

Apprenticeships still have exams and with my condition, i will find any sort of exam hard. There's a reason why i dropped out of A levels.
Reply 7

I am declared not fit for work so i dont understand why i still have to work
Original post by idontkn
Apprenticeships still have exams and with my condition, i will find any sort of exam hard. There's a reason why i dropped out of A levels.

in that case, perhaps trying work is the better option. There's certainly nothing stopping you returning to education later on :smile:
Sorry I replied before seeing this! If you're declared not fit for work then no you shouldn't have to... is this declared not fit to work through a Work Capability Assessment or through medical evidence/a sick note etc.?

(Original post by idontkn)
I am declared not fit for work so i dont understand why i still have to work
Reply 10
Sorry I replied before seeing this! If you're declared not fit for work then no you shouldn't have to... is this declared not fit to work through a Work Capability Assessment or through medical evidence/a sick note etc.?

(Original post by idontkn)

Sick note
Original post by idontkn
Sick note

Are you waiting to go to a WCA?
That's way things are now *shrug* If your never willing to get a job you won't be welcome at a job centre...

A decade or so back it was different, if you were unfit for work you got stuck on DLA for life, no repeat assessment, you just got sent a big cheque book every year....but then it turned around and they got pelters for basically letting people rot on the scrapheap and fall through the various cracks in the system. Spend 10-20 years off on the sick and you found it near impossible to get anyone to give you a chance if you changed yr mind.

So no, you don't get to just opt out of ever doing anything, it;s massively unhealthy. Lets face it, if we're declaring folk with terminal cancer and such fit for work, what chance do headaches have?
Reply 13
Original post by hello_shawn
Then they'll find you unskilled work. Work that needs no training, or just 10 minutes of it before you're expected to know what to do. 1) it's better than nothing and 2) you can put it on a CV

How am i expected to know what to do if i can't remember?
Reply 14
Original post by StriderHort
That's way things are now *shrug* If your never willing to get a job you won't be welcome at a job centre...

A decade or so back it was different, if you were unfit for work you got stuck on DLA for life, no repeat assessment, you just got sent a big cheque book every year....but then it turned around and they got pelters for basically letting people rot on the scrapheap and fall through the various cracks in the system. Spend 10-20 years off on the sick and you found it near impossible to get anyone to give you a chance if you changed yr mind.

So no, you don't get to just opt out of ever doing anything, it;s massively unhealthy. Lets face it, if we're declaring folk with terminal cancer and such fit for work, what chance do headaches have?

Well it actually affects intelligence and my ability to look for work. And isnt any issue with the brain the most dangerous? Some of my sentences dont make sense.
Reply 15
Original post by Pathway
Are you waiting to go to a WCA?

No what that?
I'm no expert when it comes to Universal Credit, but it's probably worth getting referred for a Work Capability Assessment. My understanding is that fit notes are more suited to temporary sickness/disability and that if you have a long-term condition you'll need a WCA and to be declared not fit for work by the DWP.

Unfortunately, as StriderHort says, this isn't an easy route, and plenty of people are refused so it is something you're likely to have to fight for. It could also be worth looking at PIP which can be paid in addition to other benefits. But again, be aware it could end up being a long process.
(I applied for PIP 6 months ago and I'm waiting for the outcome of my first "appeal", or Mandatory Reconsideration as it's called. Fully expecting to need to go to tribunal which could add another year or two to the claim time!)
Original post by idontkn
Sick note
Original post by idontkn
No what that?

Read what @sophia5892, you're technically still not unfit for work (long term) in the eyes of the DWP until you've been declared unfit for work post Work Capability Assessment.
Reply 18
I'm no expert when it comes to Universal Credit, but it's probably worth getting referred for a Work Capability Assessment. My understanding is that fit notes are more suited to temporary sickness/disability and that if you have a long-term condition you'll need a WCA and to be declared not fit for work by the DWP.

Unfortunately, as StriderHort says, this isn't an easy route, and plenty of people are refused so it is something you're likely to have to fight for. It could also be worth looking at PIP which can be paid in addition to other benefits. But again, be aware it could end up being a long process.
(I applied for PIP 6 months ago and I'm waiting for the outcome of my first "appeal", or Mandatory Reconsideration as it's called. Fully expecting to need to go to tribunal which could add another year or two to the claim time!)

According to my stupid older sisters, migraines and Memory loss isnt a condition so she didnt put that down when helping me apply for universal credit. Later on she did though. She put down depression and russell-silver syndrome as the main reasons behind why i can't work.
Original post by idontkn
How am i expected to know what to do if i can't remember?

How do you remember to go to the jobcentre? Or how to communicate in English and fill in THEIR forms? Honest Q, as that's how an adviser will look at it. "If you can remember when and how to claim benefits why can't you remember how to work?"

You've said it's a sick note, that implies it's temporary and you will absolutely still be expected to aim toward reentering the workforce/study, you aren't allowed to just say no and keep claiming, there has to be progress of some sort.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending