The Student Room Group

If you had to give up something that you like for the rest of life what would be?

One of my electronic devices (phone or tablet) for me.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Fast food
Reply 2
I couldn't give up anything.
Well I'm just going to lie surely?

"Yeah take all the cherry coke, I'll never drink it again"

Original post by Amb/conf

Yeah good point, why are we doing this? If there isn't a pay off I won't do it?

Why not?
Original post by Talkative Toad
Why not?

Why Yes?
Reply 6
Why not?

Can't resist things I like, very weak to my desires.
Original post by StriderHort
Well I'm just going to lie surely?

"Yeah take all the cherry coke, I'll never drink it again"

Yeah good point, why are we doing this? If there isn't a pay off I won't do it?
You could technically lie (I could have said chocolate or alcohol or fizzy drinks for example) but chose not to lie :smile:
Can't resist things I like, very weak to my desires.

Same.
Why Yes?

Could benefit someone for example. I would hate to give up my phone, but it could benefit me if I did (and) or there might be something that you like but are thinking "yeah I could probably without it or would be willing to give it up".
(edited 11 months ago)
You could technically lie (I could have said chocolate or alcohol or fizzy drinks for example) but chose not to lie :smile:

But you are surely going to choose something that affects you but 'not really'? Even in your example you are talking 1 device out of a selection, (many of which can do the same jobs) if you wanted to 'truly' give something up it would need to be all digital/electronic devices to catch the parts you enjoy rather than a choice of 1 out of 2 devices?

If pushed I'll go for Pork, I genuinely do like it, but v fatty/often low quality and I like other meats more...
Same.

Could benefit someone for example. I would hate to give up my phone, but it could benefit me if I did (and) or there might be something that you like but are thinking "yeah I could probably without it or would be willing to give it up".

...for the rest of your LIFE? I can understand temp abstinence but it seems a bit like a loose/loose otherwise? Phones are useful :P
But you are surely going to choose something that affects you but 'not really'? Even in your example you are talking 1 device out of a selection, (many of which can do the same jobs) if you wanted to 'truly' give something up it would need to be all digital/electronic devices to catch the parts you enjoy rather than a choice of 1 out of 2 devices?

If pushed I'll go for Pork, I genuinely do like it, but v fatty/often low quality and I like other meats more...

Yeah, but I still like the device (a lot), that's the point i.e giving up something that you like.
...for the rest of your LIFE? I can understand temp abstinence but it seems a bit like a loose/loose otherwise? Phones are useful :P

Oh yeah, phones are useful as heck and I love having one, but I'm addicted to mine lol.
Yeah, but I still like the device (a lot), that's the point i.e giving up something that you like.

It's the idea you would give it up for life with no tangible reward for 'because' I don't get? (I'm not accepting 'I have so much more free time since all my loved ones couldn't contact me' as a benefit btw :P )
It's the idea you would give it up for life with no tangible reward for 'because' I don't get? (I'm not accepting 'I have so much more free time since all my loved ones couldn't contact me' as a benefit btw :P )

I don't like calling or texting people in general (I still do it though).
(edited 11 months ago)
I don't like calling or texting people in general.

After years of call centre work and a decade+ on phone anxiety I can pretty much relate tbh...

But if you were to say 'no more mobile phone for life' that would be a huge impact, and despite alternatives you would miss out on so so much even besides the net browsing.
After years of call centre work and a decade+ on phone anxiety I can pretty much relate tbh...

But if you were to say 'no more mobile phone for life' that would be a huge impact, and despite alternatives you would miss out on so so much even besides the net browsing.

True but, eh, I said it :dontknow: (my phone).
One of my electronic devices (phone or tablet) for me.

I’d give up all my happiness to keep that one special person in my life happy.
Electric Toothbrush
Original post by Mohammed_80
I’d give up all my happiness to keep that one special person in my life happy.

That's awful?.... why would that one special person want to see you this way, for life? How could they keep being your special person with 0 joy?

Quick Reply

Latest