The Student Room Group

Really confused about DWP onboarding

I was told I passed my masters degree and so a few days later applied for a DWP SEO vacancy in November 2022, a couple of days before the deadline. I received an invitation to interview at the end of December. The only interview date was end of January, and I was fortunate enough to be offered the HEO position rather than SEO as I would benefit from some more management experience, with a view to progress me to the SEO position.

Great stuff.

So I was confused on talking to the person who offered me the job as he said I could work my notice and start, gave in my notice and then I discovered that the civil service take longer than my 4 weeks notice to onboard. I've been with the same employer for years and they have been great, I can stay on until I get a start date, but I really need the money now, really need the next step in my career etc and it would be nice to know what's happening.

I have been told I need SC.

So far:
jan - I brought all my docs to interview
end of feb - my CS portal was set up and I accepted the provisional offer and did the basic onboarding questionnaire
feb to now - loads of backwards and forwards about ID checks, nothing happening, emails, calls, nothing progressed it and then finally this week, ID checks complete. I only know the ID checks are done as I've been checking the portal about 50 times a day since Feb.

So do I have to do something for my DBS? Do I definitely have to fill out a separate form for SC? shouldn't I have already done that by now? What's the secret to moving this process along, because 4 months just to do an ID check is eyewateringly painful. I'm applying for other jobs because I can't afford to stay part time and on this low wage much longer. But I really want this particular job, it's just what I was after.

Any advice or reassurance would be much appreciated. Thanks
Reply 1
There's two things here - you've been offered the job, and presumably handed over the documents needed for the baseline check to confirm you have the right to work etc.

If the position needs SC clearance, that involves a longer form providing information on your family, finances, where you've lived in the last X years etc., and further checks will be made, to see if you pass this clearance process (you can fail, and if the role requires you to hold the clearance, the offer will be withdrawn.)

If you've lived outside the UK, this can substantially delay the process.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Matilda_Moo
There's two things here - you've been offered the job, and presumably handed over the documents needed for the baseline check to confirm you have the right to work etc.

If the position needs SC clearance, that involves a longer form providing information on your family, finances, where you've lived in the last X years etc., and further checks will be made, to see if you pass this clearance process (you can fail, and if the role requires you to hold the clearance, the offer will be withdrawn.)

If you've lived outside the UK, this can substantially delay the process.

Thanks for your reply.

I was born in the UK, never lived abroad, had maybe 6 holidays abroad my whole life, but just the usual one or 2 weeks every few years. I studied here, have worked since I left school, for the last 20 years. Same current workplace for 15 years.

It doesn't make sense to me why ID checks are taking so long. I still haven't had that SC form. Still no correspondence about DBS. Very frustrating this wait. And if this is normal, I have no idea how anyone else can stand this waiting just for ID to be checked. Its unacceptable in my opinion.
As Matilda Moo said above, SC clearance is quite in depth - it's not just an ID check. Once your application for SC is submitted, all the relevant agencies need to be contacted e.g. bank, employers, university etc. Also, bear in mind that there might be a backlog of other people who submitted their SC application before you - there's quite a lot of recruitment going through at the moment, and SC checks seem to be one of the longest parts of the process.

Congratulations on the job - I'm sure it'll not be too much longer :-)
Reply 4
Original post by gaynor_scraggins
As Matilda Moo said above, SC clearance is quite in depth - it's not just an ID check. Once your application for SC is submitted, all the relevant agencies need to be contacted e.g. bank, employers, university etc. Also, bear in mind that there might be a backlog of other people who submitted their SC application before you - there's quite a lot of recruitment going through at the moment, and SC checks seem to be one of the longest parts of the process.

Congratulations on the job - I'm sure it'll not be too much longer :-)

This is the issue though. It's ID check for BPSS. I haven't even got through that yet. SC is a separate questionnaire that I've not had because this is the GRS that arent processing the ID check. I think something has held it up but no one is admitting to it. I might just withdraw the application in the end because I can't get anywhere at all with it. It's stressing me out.
Original post by puddlestamper
This is the issue though. It's ID check for BPSS. I haven't even got through that yet. SC is a separate questionnaire that I've not had because this is the GRS that arent processing the ID check. I think something has held it up but no one is admitting to it. I might just withdraw the application in the end because I can't get anywhere at all with it. It's stressing me out.

I can't give any advice on the ID check, but I'd advise you not to withdraw just because it's stressful. You just need to let them carry on in the background and you keep on working in your current role. If necessary, you might find it useful to try and get a full time temp job if you need full time. For lots jobs, especially Civil Service, you'll need to get ID checks done, so if you halt the process now, you might just need to go through it all again another time.
Reply 6
Did you provide your passport, proof of address etc., to them when you went to the interview? they would have taken copies before giving your documents back.

I can only suggest you get in touch, asking how the checks are proceeding, and if they need more information - perhaps ask about the SC form too...
Reply 7
after emailing and emailing everyone I had a contact email address for, I finally had my pre employment checks completing. And after asking over and over throughout the process about the SC forms, I got a bit of a shirty email response saying "Now your pre-employment checks are done, you have to undergo SC clearance. You were previously informed about this." So I pestered some more since I had still not received any correspondence about that and was FINALLY sent my SC link. So I completed that over the weekend that I was sent it and now I'm waiting some more.

I applied for this job in November. Interview in January. PECs started early Feb. Completed initial PECs mid May. SC link sent end of May. More waiting.

This is hideously painful. I wish I'd have been better informed at application stage of what a long and excruciating wait this would be. I noticed that other gov job adverts have a very long and informative PDF about the whole application process. The PDF on the one I applied for seems incomplete and only says about what happens at interview and how long you wait to be offered the job. This is my first experience of applying for anything with the DWP so I just didn't know.
Original post by puddlestamper
after emailing and emailing everyone I had a contact email address for, I finally had my pre employment checks completing. And after asking over and over throughout the process about the SC forms, I got a bit of a shirty email response saying "Now your pre-employment checks are done, you have to undergo SC clearance. You were previously informed about this." So I pestered some more since I had still not received any correspondence about that and was FINALLY sent my SC link. So I completed that over the weekend that I was sent it and now I'm waiting some more.

I applied for this job in November. Interview in January. PECs started early Feb. Completed initial PECs mid May. SC link sent end of May. More waiting.

This is hideously painful. I wish I'd have been better informed at application stage of what a long and excruciating wait this would be. I noticed that other gov job adverts have a very long and informative PDF about the whole application process. The PDF on the one I applied for seems incomplete and only says about what happens at interview and how long you wait to be offered the job. This is my first experience of applying for anything with the DWP so I just didn't know.

Hey! Could you perhaps give an update on the status of your application? I am currently a month into the PEC, got the DBS certificate posted to my address and went in for a physical ID verification at a job center. Not sure where my application stands in terms of a final offer and start date.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending