The Student Room Group

Scot Gov Graduate Development Programme

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by trickytricky
I just did the two tests, the verbal one was alright I felt but the numerical one was a nightmare! I completely ran out of time (and didn't even feel I was being slow or anything) and didn't even get to answer the last 6 questions! Hope your tests go better than mine cause I feel like the numerical test has cost me the programme :/

Just had the same experience, randomly clicked the last couple of questions. Nightmare!
I just did the two tests, the verbal one was alright I felt but the numerical one was a nightmare! I completely ran out of time (and didn't even feel I was being slow or anything) and didn't even get to answer the last 6 questions! Hope your tests go better than mine cause I feel like the numerical test has cost me the programme :/

Are the actual tests basically just the same as the practice ones?
Reply 82
Oh God, really? That's honestly why I haven't sat them yet, because I feel like I just am not prepared for how quickly they have to be done. With the practice numerical one I only managed 9 questions!! I think your results are combined with the results of the SJT so I'm sure you've done better than you think. I'm doing it tomorrow and I bet I feel the same way :frown:

Reply 83
I meaaaaan at least everyone seems to be in the same boat...right?
Original post by pjm600
Just had the same experience, randomly clicked the last couple of questions. Nightmare!
Reply 84
Hey, Feeling rather stressed, just completed my numerical and verbal reasoning tests. I found them really hard and didn't manage to complete all of my maths based ones. Feeling a bit deflated.Anyone with any news to cheer me up whilst I wait for my results.Pip
Reply 85
I'm still doing the practice tests and it's fair to say they're not going well. I can't even finish the numerical one. It seems everyone has been finding them difficult which is somewhat reassuring but yeah, i am not feeling confident about my chances with these tests.

Out of curiosity, because it's multiple choice, did people answer every question even if they were guesses? Or just look to complete fewer questions more accurately? I'm certain I won't be able to work out all my answers in time on the numerical test and i'm not sure which strategy to adopt.
Reply 86
I can’t finish the numerical one either and people have said that the actual numerical test is much harder - brilliant.

I’ve wondered this too, and I personally believe that it’s better to not finish the questions, but have accurate answers for the ones you did finish (obviously might not get them all right), but yeah I think at least if the markers of the test can see you just didn’t finish the test then it shows that you just ran out of time, rather than thinking you don’t know how to answer the questions. That’s my personal opinion though.
Original post by FourTop
I'm still doing the practice tests and it's fair to say they're not going well. I can't even finish the numerical one. It seems everyone has been finding them difficult which is somewhat reassuring but yeah, i am not feeling confident about my chances with these tests.

Out of curiosity, because it's multiple choice, did people answer every question even if they were guesses? Or just look to complete fewer questions more accurately? I'm certain I won't be able to work out all my answers in time on the numerical test and i'm not sure which strategy to adopt.
Reply 87
Original post by KMS17
I can’t finish the numerical one either and people have said that the actual numerical test is much harder - brilliant.

I’ve wondered this too, and I personally believe that it’s better to not finish the questions, but have accurate answers for the ones you did finish (obviously might not get them all right), but yeah I think at least if the markers of the test can see you just didn’t finish the test then it shows that you just ran out of time, rather than thinking you don’t know how to answer the questions. That’s my personal opinion though.

Yeah, i think i'd agree with you. Seeing as they are being presented raw data, it'll probably look better to achieve a higher percentage on fewer questions than to guess and potentially answer incorrectly the last 5-6 in a panic.
I'm in the same boat as many of you here, but luckily only had to guess 2 at the end as i only had about 15 seconds left! Also, numerical reasoning tests are usually my best so it was a little worrying. Though I took it as they'd just see your final percentage and wouldn't take into consideration whether you got to the question or not- it would simply read as not answered and therefore wrong... but I'm not sure what they actually do just my thoughts on how to answer it! I just think if they're taking an average of all the tests from what ever hundreds of applicants that would be the most sensible method to take to sift applicants out.
Reply 89
I just did the verbal one and felt so panicked at the last passage as my time was running out and ended up panicking and randomly (but trying to be accurate) clicking answers, which I’m not sure is actually a good idea or if I should have just left them.

Absolutely dreading the numerical one.
Original post by Hlth2016
I'm in the same boat as many of you here, but luckily only had to guess 2 at the end as i only had about 15 seconds left! Also, numerical reasoning tests are usually my best so it was a little worrying. Though I took it as they'd just see your final percentage and wouldn't take into consideration whether you got to the question or not- it would simply read as not answered and therefore wrong... but I'm not sure what they actually do just my thoughts on how to answer it! I just think if they're taking an average of all the tests from what ever hundreds of applicants that would be the most sensible method to take to sift applicants out.
Reply 90
Hi - does anyone have a rough idea of when the assessment centre will be during May / know when this was held during previous years? Thanks!
Reply 91
If I recall correctly, the ACs ran throughout May with candidates being given a choice of dates/times. Mine was the middle. This may change this year, and could go on longer as the number of candidates being invited to AC is being increased.
Original post by MA1904
Hi - does anyone have a rough idea of when the assessment centre will be during May / know when this was held during previous years? Thanks!
Reply 92
I just completed my assessments. I found the numerical one to be okay in parts but a couple of questions were time consuming which meant I rushed towards the end and left two questions unanswered. I'm thinking maybe I should have skipped them once it became apparent it was taking me too long. I found the verbal reasoning test to be okay, once again some were straightforward but others were quite challenging and I found I was second-guessing myself several times. I'm eager to get the results back as soon as possible just so I don't have to wait here in a state of uncertainty.

And of course good luck to everyone who is waiting on results or about to take the tests!!
Reply 93
Great thank you. Completely forgot about a holiday at the end of May that was arranged last year for my grandparent's birthday and was worried it may interfere with AC dates if I've managed to get through!

(Original post by vmc21)
If I recall correctly, the ACs ran throughout May with candidates being given a choice of dates/times. Mine was the middle. This may change this year, and could go on longer as the number of candidates being invited to AC is being increased.
Reply 94
Leaving two unanswered isn’t too bad! I left 5 unanswered, but only because I ran out of time and didn’t want to guess them. I did way more than I honestly thought I would be able to in the time. I was the same with the verbal reasoning tests.

Just want to check, once you have completed your assessments do you just leave them as is? You don’t have to press a submit button or anything?
Original post by FourTop
I just completed my assessments. I found the numerical one to be okay in parts but a couple of questions were time consuming which meant I rushed towards the end and left two questions unanswered. I'm thinking maybe I should have skipped them once it became apparent it was taking me too long. I found the verbal reasoning test to be okay, once again some were straightforward but others were quite challenging and I found I was second-guessing myself several times. I'm eager to get the results back as soon as possible just so I don't have to wait here in a state of uncertainty.

And of course good luck to everyone who is waiting on results or about to take the tests!!
Just finished the tests - I have completed quite a few of these over the past year and found these ones particularly difficult, much more difficult than the Fast Stream tests!
Reply 96
Original post by KMS17
Leaving two unanswered isn’t too bad! I left 5 unanswered, but only because I ran out of time and didn’t want to guess them. I did way more than I honestly thought I would be able to in the time. I was the same with the verbal reasoning tests.

Just want to check, once you have completed your assessments do you just leave them as is? You don’t have to press a submit button or anything?

I just left them as they were. I don't think there was any kind of submit button.
Reply 97
I'm in the fast stream and honest to god, that numerical test was the hardest thing I've ever done for a civil service job...
Do they reimburse travel/hotel expenses if you make it to the assessment centre?
Reply 99
No - it said in the original recruitment ad that travel and subsistence expenses incurred during the selection process are the responsibility of the applicant.
Original post by infp2019
Do they reimburse travel/hotel expenses if you make it to the assessment centre?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending