The Student Room Group

Is there enough time left to improve my grades?

I'm quite worried since I would like to achieve a minimum of 7 grade 7s at GCSEs but my mock results are saying otherwise. Would it be possible to improve the following results in a months time in time for the exams? Thanks.

Chemistry: 7 (1 mark off a grade 8)
Drama: 7
Computer Science: 7
Maths: 6 (4 marks from a grade 7)
Biology: 6 (3 marks from a grade 7)
History: 6
English Language: 6
Physics: 5
English Literature: 3
Spanish: 2
(edited 5 years ago)
Yes there is still time, but it won't be easy.

If you are adamant you want seven sevens, then your best bet is to look at your sixes (maths, biology, history, English lang) and try to boost them up a grade.

Go to all your teachers and make them tell you exactly what you need to work on to improve those grades. Don't take no for an answer, and don't be afraid to keep going back and asking questions if you need more information!
Original post by nichtzudanken
I'm quite worried since I would like to achieve a minimum of 7 grade 7s at GCSEs but my mock results are saying otherwise. Would it be possible to improve the following results in a months time in time for the exams? Thanks.

Chemistry: 7 (1 mark off a grade 8)
Drama: 7
Computer Science: 7
Maths: 6 (4 marks from a grade 7)
Biology: 6 (3 marks from a grade 7)
History: 6
English Language: 6
Physics: 5
English Literature: 3
Spanish: 2

I would say that the subjects were you achieved at 6 and 7 you would have a good chance of getting grade 7 for your GCSEs with a little extra work and revision. However, looking at Spanish and English Literature - would you say that you are struggling with the content or did you just have a bad mock exam? Have you tried to ask your teachers for more help, or looked at the mark scheme to see where you went wrong? Practice papers will also help you in terms of exam approach, so try to get as much as you can, compare to the mark scheme and look at the areas that still need further revision.
Original post by cheesecakelove
I would say that the subjects were you achieved at 6 and 7 you would have a good chance of getting grade 7 for your GCSEs with a little extra work and revision. However, looking at Spanish and English Literature - would you say that you are struggling with the content or did you just have a bad mock exam? Have you tried to ask your teachers for more help, or looked at the mark scheme to see where you went wrong? Practice papers will also help you in terms of exam approach, so try to get as much as you can, compare to the mark scheme and look at the areas that still need further revision.

I think for English Literature it was a bad mock exam. Usually I get grade 5s in it. Not the best grades because English Literature isn't really my strongest subject.

Spanish, however, I've given up on. I think it would be more useful trying to boost my grades in the subjects I need than to waste time on Spanish. It has little impact on my future and I don't really need it for any A-Levels. The only confliction I think I would see is if a university required me to have a langauge GCSE. In that case, I would probably have to seek a language GCSE equivalent qualification.
Definitely man you got about a month left?

You need to go all in which means working smart and hard.

Best thing is talk to your teachers for advice.

End of the day though GCSEs are important for getting you into sixth form/college. So make sure you improve in English maths and science and your others but those 3 really are a priority

But seriously talk to your teachers they know best how you can improve. Attend all revision sessions. Make sure your exam technique is spot on even things like stress management are important. You need to walk into the exam hall with a confident mindset and also be relaxed what helps me is smiling just before an exam.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by nichtzudanken
I think for English Literature it was a bad mock exam. Usually I get grade 5s in it. Not the best grades because English Literature isn't really my strongest subject.

Spanish, however, I've given up on. I think it would be more useful trying to boost my grades in the subjects I need than to waste time on Spanish. It has little impact on my future and I don't really need it for any A-Levels. The only confliction I think I would see is if a university required me to have a langauge GCSE. In that case, I would probably have to seek a language GCSE equivalent qualification.

Unless you’re doing some form of degree in languages or includes languages like “Business Management with Spanish” it’ll be very unlikely they’ll want a language GCSE. I don’t believe that’s really a requirement anywhere.

Quick Reply

Latest