The Student Room Group

English language requirements for med

I kinda screwed up my English language GCSE and only got a 5, I got a 7 in literature though. Does anyone know which universities will still let me apply? I know that Plymouth as well as Brighton & Sussex will accept English literature in place of english language. Are there any others like that or a university that will let me sit a course with them as a requirement for an offer?
Reply 1
Original post by VGM
I kinda screwed up my English language GCSE and only got a 5, I got a 7 in literature though. Does anyone know which universities will still let me apply? I know that Plymouth as well as Brighton & Sussex will accept English literature in place of english language. Are there any others like that or a university that will let me sit a course with them as a requirement for an offer?

You will be restricted on where you can apply. As a guide search this document for the english language requirements, although for fully up to date information it's always best to check the individual Uni websites

https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2357/msc-entry-requirements-for-uk-medical-schools.pdf

Some people in your position resit english language to improve their grade - a grade 6 would give you more options.
Reply 2
Thanks. I looked around and it turns out that I meet the requirements of 9 universities, I may retake anyway though
Original post by VGM

I think Edinburgh accepts English Literature. However, as other have said, you will be very limited in your choices.

I got a D (4) in English Language at GCSE but resat the exam the following year and got an A and now I have an offer after getting 4 interviews (I'm in year 13).
It's definitely worth resitting from my experience but you also have to be careful when applying because not all unis accept resits.
I got a C in English Language, I’m currently sitting on an unconditional offer from Exeter for medicine, and had four interviews, if you apply strategically it can be done
Original post by TriksyBob
Are you a nice private school boy where mummy and daddy paid for youe grades. Of course you get offers. Oh. But you did it all by yourself. Is that what mummy and daddy keep telling you? Oh dear. How gullible.

I went to a state school for both GCSE and A-Level, where I was eligible for most contextual offers/widening participation routes, my parents know very little English as they migrated from their home country in Asia, this is by pure blood and sweat.
Resit it. My friend did this and unis accepted him as long he got what they need (either 6 or 7).
Original post by IAMedicine
I went to a state school for both GCSE and A-Level, where I was eligible for most contextual offers/widening participation routes, my parents know very little English as they migrated from their home country in Asia, this is by pure blood and sweat.

Respect! You deserve success in that case.

Latest

Trending

Trending