The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 1
Original post by Lisa_00
Hi everybody!

I got an offer at Lancaster, Oxford Brooks and York for my Masters. Not quite sure which one I should pick. I like the curriculum at Lancaster and Oxford Brooks more but I am not quite sure about the reputation and the cities in general.

Please help :smile:

Hi,

It's great to have such wonderful offers! I think reputation and rankings wise, Lancaster and York are superior to Oxford Brookes. I would pick a strong university such as Lancaster or York that will certainly place you in a good position once you graduate.

In addition, go for the course you seem to be enjoy the most and that will also make the most of it!

Good luck with your decision!
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Thank you very much for your reply. Do you know what Lancaster University is like? eg Student live?
Original post by Durham_
Hi,

It's great to have such wonderful offers! I think reputation and rankings wise, Lancaster and York are superior to Oxford Brookes. I would pick a strong university such as Lancaster or York that will certainly place you in a good position once you graduate.

In addition, go for the course you seem to be enjoy the most and that will also make the most of it!

Good luck with your decision!
Lancaster has a reputation of being very quiet - fine if you like that.
Oxford is a much more 'glamorous' city with much more to do, but more expensive.
York, can't comment except Uni campus is lovely.

Ignore 'rankings', they mean nothing and are designed to market newspapers that sponsor them, that's all.
Most employers don't look at rankings, and wouldn't understand them even if they did.
And remember, its the course that you'll be studying for 3 years, not the University.

And read this :https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/firm-and-insurance-choices
Then do the final test with pieces of paper. And decide today.
Reply 4
Original post by Lisa_00
Thank you very much for your reply. Do you know what Lancaster University is like? eg Student live?

I have never been, but from my experience on TSR and seeing recommendations online, it seems to be a great place for student life. Plenty of societies to choose from, excellent facilities, all sorts of sports and clubs. It is a really nice campus with a fantastic and modern library!
Original post by Durham_
I have never been, but from my experience on TSR and seeing recommendations online, it seems to be a great place for student life. Plenty of societies to choose from, excellent facilities, all sorts of sports and clubs. It is a really nice campus with a fantastic and modern library!

But .... Lancaster itself is tiny and not very exciting. Suits some people but others find it frustrating!
Reply 6
If everyone liked white, there wouldn't be any blue. Lancaster and York are the best choices here and with the best graduate prospects! Rankings exist not to be ignored but to shed a light on entry standards, how students like the quality of teaching, research intensity, etc.

Nevertheless, the course content is in fact important, but education is, certainly is this day and age, an investment and a costly one!
Original post by returnmigrant
But .... Lancaster itself is tiny and not very exciting. Suits some people but others find it frustrating!
Hey!

I am a final year student at Oxford Brookes, and have absolutely loved my time here!
I find there is always something to do, both on campus and in the city. There are plenty of societies and sports teams to join on campus. In the city, there are plenty of cafes, bars, restaurants and nightclubs - always plenty to do!
It is a fab university, let me know if you have any other questions about the city, course or student life at Brookes!

Hope this was helpful,

Issy
Original post by Lisa_00
Hi everybody!

I got an offer at Lancaster, Oxford Brooks and York for my Masters. Not quite sure which one I should pick. I like the curriculum at Lancaster and Oxford Brooks more but I am not quite sure about the reputation and the cities in general.

Original post by Lisa_00
Hi everybody!

Is it possible for you to visit before you begin? They're all very different places :smile:

Also how far do you want to be from home or does this not bother you? Interested to know what you're also planning to study :h:
Hey Lisa_00,

That's amazing news that you have confirmed offers from Lancaster, Oxford Brookes and York.

I am currently about to graduate in my final year at Oxford Brookes (undergraduate) In international Hospitality Management and have loved my time at Oxford Brookes, wish I could do it all over again.

If you check out the link below, Brookes ranked amongst “world’s top universities” for 14 subjects, this includes subjects such as Law and Hospitality Management.
https://www.brookes.ac.uk/about-brookes/news/brookes-ranked-amongst-worlds-top-universities-for-14-subjects/

Also, check out this link to https://www.brookes.ac.uk/about-brookes/news/oxford-brookes-climbs-21-places-in-the-good-university-guide-2019/ Oxford Brookes climbs 21 places in the Good University Guide 2019 from The Times/ Sunday Times. Again this demonstrates a great university reputation, and Im proud to be a part of this great growing institution.

At Oxford is a great place to live, there are so many great aspects of the oxford such as that Oxford is a student city, great social aspects are offered, we have a new shopping centre called Westgate, with new restaurants, cinema and new gym facilities. Oxford has amazing transportation links to London (Only £10 return by using your student card) via the X90 or Oxford Tube Services.

There is so much happening, I hope this helps you, but what I would say is go with what feels right for you and I'm sure you will make the right decision and good luck with the future.

Kind regards,

Jordan
Student Ambassador
Original post by Lisa_00
Hi everybody!

Lancaster = York >> Oxford Brookes

Latest

Trending

Trending