The Student Room Group

National 5 Biology 2018/19

Scroll to see replies

It was quite a fair paper, although quite a few of the things that came up weren’t what I was expecting! All of the extended-response questions were on Units 1 and 2 (again), but I was expecting them to mostly be from Unit 3 (as they were all from Units 1 and 2 last year). Come to think of it, there weren’t really many knowledge questions on Unit 3.
Original post by Evil Homer
Hey how did it go today guys?!
(edited 4 years ago)
Lots of problem solving and calculations!
Original post by mrobertson03
It was quite a fair paper, although quite a few of the things that came up weren’t what I was expecting! All of the extended-response questions were on Units 1 and 2 (again), but I was expecting them to mostly be from Unit 3 (as they were all from Units 1 and 2 last year). Come to think of it, there weren’t really many knowledge questions on Unit 3.
I know, a lot of experimental technique questions as well.
Original post by Anonymous.pupil
Lots of problem solving and calculations!
Hope the exam went well for you all this afternoon :smile:
Wtf was that exam! Stupid experiment questions everywhere.. seemed more like maths to me than biology as well!
I found it alright, Multiple Choice was tough, written was slightly tough.
What did you guys get for the waste product of aerobic respiration in yeast?
And the one photosynthesis question like why was experiment 2 invalid?
I have the multiple choice paper anyone needs it?
I think the waste product of aerobic respiration as water, and experiment 2 was invalid because it was being affected by two limiting factors so the results wouldn’t be accurate - but that was just a guess.
Also, they were really trying to catch us out with some of those multiple choice questions. Such as the one about inheritance controlled by more than one gene, a lot of people I spoke to put polygenic, because they didn’t realise that it was asking for the type of variation, and for the seal pup population one, most people saw that it was going up by 1.8 million each time, so just added on 1.8 million and didn’t realise that between 2016 and 2020, 1.8 million would be added on twice.
Original post by rittajmoghal29

Could you upload photos of the paper- am almost certain someone will want to look at the questions again :smile:
Can you post it on here?
Original post by rittajmoghal29
I found it alright, Multiple Choice was tough, written was slightly tough.
What did you guys get for the waste product of aerobic respiration in yeast?
And the one photosynthesis question like why was experiment 2 invalid?
Yes I put the the waste product as water and I said that experiment 2 was invalid as more than one variable was changed- just guessed, that exam was weird..
Original post by mrobertson03
I think the waste product of aerobic respiration as water, and experiment 2 was invalid because it was being affected by two limiting factors so the results wouldn’t be accurate - but that was just a guess.
Of course the four markers were on genetic engineering and mitosis, the two topics I find most challening but simply couldn’t get in my head.
There was a four mark question on mitosis...? Was it not genetic engineering and blood glucose control?
Original post by aingidh
Of course the four markers were on genetic engineering and mitosis, the two topics I find most challening but simply couldn’t get in my head.
(edited 4 years ago)
I thought it was on blood sugar regulation and not mitosis, did I miss something, haha?
Wait, no, I meant the blood glucose levels question. Dunno why I said mitosis.
I put ethanol? Damn I don't think I read it right. When it asked about the thing needed did you put oxygen down? And then what stage has more ATP, what did you put? 1, 2?
Original post by Anonymous.pupil
Yes I put the the waste product as water and I said that experiment 2 was invalid as more than one variable was changed- just guessed, that exam was weird..
Hey what was the answer to that? something to do with glucagon?
Original post by itsnotblank
I thought it was on blood sugar regulation and not mitosis, did I miss something, haha?
What did you all say for that multiple villi one?
Yeah I put oxygen, and Stage 2. It definitely said it was repairing aerobically, which means no fermentation would take place, meaning no ethanol would be produced.
Original post by -MikeMike-
I put ethanol? Damn I don't think I read it right. When it asked about the thing needed did you put oxygen down? And then what stage has more ATP, what did you put? 1, 2?
I stupidly didn’t revise that topic as I didn’t think it was likely to come up. I think I mentioned glycogen? Or am I getting it confused with glucagon.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending