The Student Room Group

Is it possible to improve my maths in less than 10days?

I just need a 7, again here's the 4th thread about maths. My maths GCSE is soon and I'm doing past papers but I know in my heart that I'M NOT READY. I finally got a low grade 6 in a paper which is an improvement from a low 5.

To think I wanted to do Maths for A Levels but I'm struggling so much with GCSE Maths.
What should I do please?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What I did at GCSE is I got a whiteboard and some pens, went online (hegarty maths) watched everything and I was fine, got an A* :smile: Now doing A - Level maths and further maths and I teach part time. I get my students to do this and they say it helps. The whiteboard is great in my oppinion as you have the empty space where you can write messy notes etc
Original post by Hiro2468
I just need a 7, again here's the 4th thread about maths. My maths GCSE is soon and I'm doing past papers but I know in my heart that I'M NOT READY. I finally got a low grade 6 in a paper which is an improvement from a low 5.

To think I wanted to do Maths for A Levels but I'm struggling so much with GCSE Maths.
What should I do please?
Reply 2
Original post by xAikx
What I did at GCSE is I got a whiteboard and some pens, went online (hegarty maths) watched everything and I was fine, got an A* :smile: Now doing A - Level maths and further maths and I teach part time. I get my students to do this and they say it helps. The whiteboard is great in my oppinion as you have the empty space where you can write messy notes etc

Thank you! But will I have enough time to finish watching all the videos on YouTube? I'm so stressed, I really wanted to do Maths for A Levels but I'm struggling a lot with gcses
Reply 3
Thank you! But will I have enough time to finish watching all the videos on YouTube? I'm so stressed, I really wanted to do Maths for A Levels but I'm struggling a lot with gcses

How is your algebra skills?
Original post by xAikx

im in the same situation im really hoping the get a 7 or an 8 (im working on a 6/low 7). i can defo do most of the topics in algebra apart from a few
Reply 5
Original post by sqrt of 5
im in the same situation im really hoping the get a 7 or an 8 (im working on a 6/low 7). i can defo do most of the topics in algebra apart from a few

What topics are you weakest at?
Reply 6
Original post by xAikx

It's not the greatest but it's my best compared to the others.
Reply 7
Original post by xAikx
What topics are you weakest at?

-Probability
-Ratios (they've increased the amount of ratio questions)
-Functions
-Inequalities

There's more but these are my worst
-Probability
-Functions
-Inequalities

probablitiy and ratio are my WORST. without them in the paper i could easily get a 7
Reply 9
Original post by I'mComingOxford
probablitiy and ratio are my WORST. without them in the paper i could easily get a 7

I despise them so much (>_< )
Reply 10
I despise them so much (>_< )

What extent of probability do you do at GCSE? Also A - Level maths has a whole chapter on functions, inequalities, probability and the whole subject is full of algebra
i got a 9 in GCSE and if anyone of you want some churchill papers (considered extremely hard papers to achieve grade 9) then message me ik exams can be stressful and **** but maths gcse in my opinion isnt that hard school makes 9 sound so hard to attain but trust me make ur weaknesses in maths your strengths and you will be fine.
Reply 12
Original post by xAikx
What extent of probability do you do at GCSE? Also A - Level maths has a whole chapter on functions, inequalities, probability and the whole subject is full of algebra

Tbh I love algebra even though my maths is great. I think we do, conditional, mutually exclusive, factorials, tree diagrams etc for probability
Reply 13
Original post by Mr. sypherPB
i got a 9 in GCSE and if anyone of you want some churchill papers (considered extremely hard papers to achieve grade 9) then message me ik exams can be stressful and **** but maths gcse in my opinion isnt that hard school makes 9 sound so hard to attain but trust me make ur weaknesses in maths your strengths and you will be fine.

But I have less than 10 days to make that happen it doesn't seem possible at this rate (>_< )
It's hard to understand probability and ratios etc on YouTube they explain them but don't delve into the topics to a point where I actually understand what to do when I see a probability and ratio question.
Reply 14
Original post by Mr. sypherPB

What did you choose for your A Levels btw?
For probability you just need to know the formula and under the formula which is : probability = number of favourable outcome/total number of outcomes. ratios is just dividing and manipulating algebraic expression. I m in yr 13 rn doing maths further maths physics and economics. Listen just work and give it ur 100% and dont worry bout the grades. your will get them w the effort you have put in
But I have less than 10 days to make that happen it doesn't seem possible at this rate (>_< )
It's hard to understand probability and ratios etc on YouTube they explain them but don't delve into the topics to a point where I actually understand what to do when I see a probability and ratio question.
-Probability
-Functions
-Inequalities

These maths passports are good: https://www.missbsresources.com/teaching-and-learning/mathspassports
-Probability
-Functions
-Inequalities

I got a 9 in GCSE maths last year and I'm taking maths and further maths A level now, so I have a few tips.

Probability: For GCSE, most of the probability that will come up is tree diagrams and conditional probability. When drawing tree diagrams always make sure the probabilities add up. If the question mentions something like 'an orange sweet is taken out of the bag and not replaced', remember to adjust the probabilities on the tree diagram to take into account the fact there there is now one less sweet in the bag.
Also keep in mind the rule for independence P(A)*P(B)=P(A) intersect P(B).

Ratios: You say your algebra skills aren't bad, so it might help to solve some ratio problems algebraically. For example if the ratio of boys to girls in a year group is 4:7 and you are given the total number of students is 143, you know there must be some value of x such that the number of boys is 4x and the number of girls is 7x. Then you know the total number of students must be 11x so you can set 143=11x and then you know x=13 so there must be 4*13=52 boys and 7*13=91 girls.

Here's another ratio question: Jeff has a number of pens in his store. The ratio of red to blue pens is 4:5 and the ratio of blue to green pens is 8:11. What is the ratio of red to green pens?
You know the blue pens are included in both ratios, so start by finding a common multiple of 5 and 8 (the lowest common multiple is 40). So suppose you have 40 blue pens. You know there are 4 red pens for each 5 blue pens, so there must be (40/5)*4=32 red pens. There are 11 green pens for every 8 blue pens, so there are (40/8)*11=55 green pens. So red:green ratio is 32:55, which cannot be simplified to lowest terms.
There are probably some questions that are a little harder, but try to solve algebraically and find common multiples and you should be fine for GCSE.

Functions: The function questions that crop up in GCSE are mainly evaluating functions, composite functions and inverse functions.
Evaluating functions
They might give you a question such as 'Let f(x)=x3-4x+4. What is f(6)?
In this case, all you have to do is substitute in 6 in place of x and write down the answer (6)3-4*(6)+4=196.
Composite functions
An example: f(x)=7x+1, g(x)=x2+5x. Find fg(x).
Always remember to do the function closer to the x first. g(x)=x2+5x so what you have to do is let y=g(x) then find f(y) in terms of x.
So all you have to do is take the function f(x)=7x+1 and replace x by g(x), which is x2+5x. So fg(x)=7(x2+5x)+1=7x2+35x+1.
Inverse functions
Another example: f(x)=3x-7. Find f-1(x).
Set y=f(x) so you have an equation y=3x-7. Then rearrange to make y the subject by doing y+7=3x and then x=(y+7)/3. Then replace x by f-1(x) and replace y with x and you're done.

Inequalities: If you have a linear inequality (no powers of x greater than 1, so no x2 or x3 or anything like that), just rearrange the inequality to make x the subject. Always remember to flip the inequality sign if you multiply or divide by a negative number. If you have to shade regions on a graph that satisfy a number of inequalities, check your answer by picking points in your shaded region and see if they satisfy the inequality.

Then there are quadratic inequalities that include an x2 term. These are the hardest inequalities you'll get at GCSE, but you can follow a simple method to solve them.
Here's an example: x2+3<x+9. Find the values of x that satisfy this inequality.
First rearrange the inequality to get all the terms on one side and 0 on the other side. Do this by subtracting x from both sides to get x2-x+3<9 then subtract 9 from both sides to get x2-x-6<0.
Then factorise the expression, which gives you (x-3)(x+2)<0.
If this was an equation and not an inequality, x would be 3 or -2. This tells you the graph y=x2-x-6 meets the x axis at x=3 and x=-2.
Since the coefficient of x2 is positive (you don't have any negatives in front of the x2) the graph will be U-shaped and the graph will be less than zero in between x=-2 and x=3. You can verify this by sketching a graph. So your solution to the inequality is -2<x<3.
If the question had asked you for x2-x-6>0, it would be x<-2 AND x>3 since on the graph these are the ranges where the graph is above the x axis. (Never make the mistake of trying to combine the two inequalities into one like 3<x<-2, as that's nonsense!)

I hope this helped, let me know if you have any more questions :smile:
practice papers!!!!!

try do a paste paper doing the question then looking at the mark scheme and always mark harsh then you wont ever over achieve, this will give you a realistic grade. if you cant do something or get it wrong, go watch some maths tutorials, then go and redo the question with no help or you can use for a template. do this until you feel safe with the specific question and go to your aths teacher and ask for lots of past papers, if you can try and get the 2018 mock ones and get your teacher to mark them as these marks will most likely be very close to the real ones. Good Luck im struggling too!!

Quick Reply

Latest