The Student Room Group

Midwifery to Children's Nursing

Hi,I've got a place secured for Midwifery starting this September but I want to swap to Children's Nursing. I started working in a Nursery after I'd already secured the midwifery place and I realised my passion for working with children! I know I'd enjoy midwifery, but I really do love working with children and I think I'd feel more fulfilled working as a Peadiatric Nurse. Should I ask the university I've accepted whether I can swap to their children's nursing course or does this risk my current offer of midwifery? I know there are limited places on both. Should I start my midwifery course and ask after I've started if I can swap? Advice would be appreciated!
Original post by ERaye
Hi,I've got a place secured for Midwifery starting this September but I want to swap to Children's Nursing. I started working in a Nursery after I'd already secured the midwifery place and I realised my passion for working with children! I know I'd enjoy midwifery, but I really do love working with children and I think I'd feel more fulfilled working as a Peadiatric Nurse. Should I ask the university I've accepted whether I can swap to their children's nursing course or does this risk my current offer of midwifery? I know there are limited places on both. Should I start my midwifery course and ask after I've started if I can swap? Advice would be appreciated!

It'd be best to start again with applying, it will look uncommitted if you ask to swap although it might not mean them cancelling your offer. It's best to change before starting so that someone else could have your place on the midwifery course.
Original post by ERaye

You should contact them to ask now rather than later, provided you are 100% sure this is what you want to do. Universities are able to process the swap on UCAS for you so it would be all sorted before you start. However, whether or not they allow you to do that will really depend on whether they still have places on the child nursing course and whether they think you are a suitable candidate for it. You may also need to provide an additional personal statement.
Original post by ERaye

hi, I know you posted this a long time ago. but please would you let me know how it went as I have accepted an unconditional offer for adult nursing but I feel I would be more suited to childrens nursing.
TIA
Original post by Bexie19119
hi, I know you posted this a long time ago. but please would you let me know how it went as I have accepted an unconditional offer for adult nursing but I feel I would be more suited to childrens nursing.
TIA

ain't going to happen the numbers game is such that swapping to children's rarely happens especially from adult or MH
Reply 5
Original post by Bexie19119
TIA

It may be easier from Adult nursing to children’s but children’s nursing is more competitive generally so they may have reserve list already of wannabe students.
I would recommend thinking long and hard about it as you can still work with children after qualifying as adult nurse and can apply for NICU jobs still as adult nurse and you will have wider opportunities with adult nursing, you will be more limited as children’s nurse and cannot work with adults as easily.
There are not so many placement opportunities either as children’s nurse.
If you have heart set in children’s talk to UNI.
I started off convinced I wanted children’s but the more I talk to children’s nurses the more I’m advised to do adult as they have felt limited in their career choices.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending