The Student Room Group

Having troubles with french

i'm currently in year 9 and i am becoming really nervous because in a couple months time i will be in year 10 and i feel like my french skills is really not up to scratch. If someone were to ask me to write a paragraph about a topic, I would barely write it with a lot of basic features. I'm really lacking in vocab. I barely even use french in my day to day life so it's unlikely that what I learn will stick. Any advice?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by aninjaowl
i'm currently in year 9 and i am becoming really nervous because in a couple months time i will be in year 10 and i feel like my french skills is really not up to scratch. If someone were to ask me to write a paragraph about a topic, I would barely write it with a lot of basic features. I'm really lacking in vocab. Any advice?

what exam board are you with?
Reply 2
edexcel
You are in year 9, you're not meant to be fluent in French. My french only properly picked up come exam time (which is two years away for you!). Just practice writing basic passages occasionally. If you've just done a topic in class then write a paragraph on it. It's ok if the language isn't complex- it's not expected to be overly complex, even sitting the exam it's ok if it's simple
Honestly, you have plenty of time. I’m in Year 11 doing French GCSE and I only started it last year. I don’t want to boast, I just mean that it doesn’t matter if you’re struggling because you still have plenty of time. For GCSE really all you need to know is vocab, grammar and a few fancy phrases to throw in here and there. I’d recommend using Quizlet for vocab. Find a vocab list on the exam board you’ll eventually be doing, and you won’t need anything else. For grammar, CGP French is really helpful, or there’s loads of stuff online to help. Try Learn French with Alexa on YouTube. I’ve used her before and she’s really clear and helpful.
Reply 5
My main problem is listening at the moment, I cant decode any of the speech because it goes too fast to keep up with. Will listening to french music/podcasts help?
edexcel

●If you're lacking in vocab, try making quizlet cards on the quizlet app and revise them when you can.
●Watching French movies with subtitles or listening to French music can be a form of revision.
●To get the higher grades, use plenty of idioms in your paragraphs.

♤Just revise from your vocabulary book..♤
Reply 7
Will listening skills link to improving speaking skills too? since you are listening to how the words are said?
Will listening skills link to improving speaking skills too? since you are listening to how the words are said?

♤It can improve fluency and pronunciation as you're listening to how the words are said (when listening to movies with subtitles/music with lyrics)
♤Don't be too worried, you're in year 9 lol
This is me but I'm in yr 10 :cry:

Quick Reply

Latest