The Student Room Group

Conservatives Poll 3rd Place in General Election Poll

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by DSilva
I really am starting to think that you're a parody right wing account. Because it takes soenthing extraordinary to accuse the Telegraph of pushing a remain line.

You'd have been better off leaving it where it was, now you're just making a nuisance of yourself. I didn't even accuse them of anything, if you're sore at something wait for a better opportunity and try harder. I do understand polls much better than you, go play with yourself.
Reply 41
Original post by z-hog
You'd have been better off leaving it where it was, now you're just making a nuisance of yourself. I didn't even accuse them of anything, if you're sore at something wait for a better opportunity and try harder. I do understand polls much better than you, go play with yourself.

You did indeed accuse the Telegraph, the most pro Brexit paper out there, that has Farage and Boris Johnson as regular columnists, of pushing a remain line. Increidble on your part, really is. Had you read the paper once in the last three years or so much as looked at the paper, you'd know how ridiculous your accusation was.

And you seemed to imply that the Telegraph, a pro tory newspaper, was commissioning a poll for anti tory reasons. Not realising that polling companies are independent...

You really don't seem to understand what an opinion poll is if you complain about it being done when there's no impending general election.

If you are a parody account, taking the mick out of certain right wing people who think everything is a conspiracy then fair play - great impression! However if by some chance you're genuine, you're an absolute numpty.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by DSilva
If you are a parody account, taking the mick out of certain right wing people who think everything is a conspiracy then fair play - great impression! However if by some chance you're genuine, you're an absolute numpty.

I can only repeat what i said earlier, go play with yourself.

You really don't seem to understand what an opinion poll is if you complain about it being done when there's no impending general election.

Yeah, and you don't seem to understand that to talk about a General Election Poll that makes little sense when there isn't one pending. Maybe you are considerably less intelligent than I credited you with.
(edited 4 years ago)
If the poll came true, there would be a Corbyn government, presumably in coalition with others like the SNP and the LibDems.
Reply 44
Original post by z-hog
I can only repeat what i said earlier, go play with yourself.

Yeah, and you don't seem to understand that to talk about a General Election Poll that makes little sense when there isn't one pending. Maybe you are considerably less intelligent than I credited you with.

Deary me. You really don't get it do you?

Opinion polling, asking people how they'd vote 'if there was a general election tomorrow' has been done for decades on an almost weekly basis. The purpose is to provide a mere snap shot of public opinion at that particular time.

Quite how you've reacted to that by accusing the Telegraph (of all papers) of pushing a remain line and being anti - tory, is really quite incredible. Even for someone who posts as many paranoid posts as you.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 45
Original post by DSilva
Opinion polling, asking people how they'd vote 'if there was a general election tomorrow' has been done for decades on an almost weekly basis. The purpose is to provide a mere snap shot of public opinion at that particular time.

I'm not going to entertain you anymore, it's *******s to say a poll now is reflective of what people would do at a General election and the misleading title is what leads up to all this confusion. You're desperate to find a hole somewhere, why don't you man up and tackle my conspiracy theory on the EU making the UK take part in these elections only because they want to keep us in? It's in a nearby thread and I'm sure you've seen it but didn't fancy.

I don't like intellectual cowards and that's what you (and some others...) come across as, pathetically clutching at straws like you are now. When the big ones come their way, they hide. Bah.
Reply 46
Original post by z-hog
I'm not going to entertain you anymore, it's *******s to say a poll now is reflective of what people would do at a General election and the misleading title is what leads up to all this confusion. You're desperate to find a hole somewhere, why don't you man up and tackle my conspiracy theory on the EU making the UK take part in these elections only because they want to keep us in? It's in a nearby thread and I'm sure you've seen it but didn't fancy.

I don't like intellectual cowards and that's what you (and some others...) come across as, pathetically clutching at straws like you are now. When the big ones come their way, they hide. Bah.

Nothing is misleading. The question they asked the participants of the poll was 'how would you vote IF there was a general electiton tomorrow.' That's how opinion polling works and because you don't understand it, you're alleging a conspiracy.

The reason we are taking part in these elections is that Parliament failed to pass a withdrawal agreement. Again, basic facts but instead you look for a conspiracy.

Now I'm mostly convinced you're a parody account 😂. Fair play, you've really nailed your impression of a paranoid right wing fanatic.
Where they should be, unfortunately it shows how bad Labour currently are. We are throwing away decades of certain power
Reply 48
Original post by DSilva
Nothing is misleading. The question they asked the participants of the poll was 'how would you vote IF there was a general electiton tomorrow.' That's how opinion polling works and because you don't understand it, you're alleging a conspiracy.

The reason we are taking part in these elections is that Parliament failed to pass a withdrawal agreement. Again, basic facts but instead you look for a conspiracy.

You misread me on both counts, you talk about what things are whereas I question why they are what they are. Why ask someone which way they would vote in a GE now (taking your word for it, haven't seen it), that is the way I look at it. What's the point, by the time the election comes much will have changed and the pressures and priorities will be completely different from what they are at this Euro election. I'll be voting one way now and another at that GE, so will an awful lot of people confronted with the spectre of the far-left in Downing Street. Nobody commissions a poll out of boredom, the Torygraph (no idea if they're involved in this, no links) could have a line on May if they see her as an obstacle to Brexit and that is what they want, publishing a poll portraying her under a bad light would be in tune.

Who knows, all this is innuendo indeed but it's exclusively based on this thread. Polls don't just pop up out of the ground and cost good money so it's not a matter of conspiracy to wonder why is someone spending money on something that is so practically useless, what's the point? I'm just more curious than most, can you handle that?

As for the Euro elections, same thing. Everyone knows what the technical justification for them from the EU is, the question is what's the point? It's not as if the UK want it, it's only the EU that say we have to join in. Aren't we supposed to be leaving by October, what's the point in sending in a few people to Brussels with no role to play on anything, why put everyone through this? Why don't the EU say there's no need for it, what do they get out of it? What if the UK just said No, would they invade? Those are the type of questions I incorporate into my analysis on the way to the conclusions, nobody has to look at it that way but at least don't go too heavy on the paranoia and numptiness. Honestly, you let yourself down with that attitude.

Maybe what makes it look so much of a conspiracy is the fact that we don't hear such questions in the media. Still...
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 49
Original post by z-hog
You misread me on both counts, you talk about what things are whereas I question why they are what they are. Why ask someone which way they would vote in a GE now (taking your word for it, haven't seen it), that is the way I look at it. What's the point, by the time the election comes much will have changed and the pressures and priorities will be completely different from what they are at this Euro election. I'll be voting one way now and another at that GE, so will an awful lot of people confronted with the spectre of the far-left in Downing Street. Nobody commissions a poll out of boredom, the Torygraph (no idea if they're involved in this, no links) could have a line on May if they see her as an obstacle to Brexit and that is what they want, publishing a poll portraying her under a bad light would be in tune.

Who knows, all this is innuendo indeed but it's exclusively based on this thread. Polls don't just pop up out of the ground and cost good money so it's not a matter of conspiracy to wonder why is someone spending money on something that is so practically useless, what's the point? I'm just more curious than most, can you handle that?

As for the Euro elections, same thing. Everyone knows what the technical justification for them from the EU is, the question is what's the point? It's not as if the UK want it, it's only the EU that say we have to join in. Aren't we supposed to be leaving by October, what's the point in sending in a few people to Brussels with no role to play on anything, why put everyone through this? Why don't the EU say there's no need for it, what do they get out of it? What if the UK just said No, would they invade? Those are the type of questions I incorporate into my analysis on the way to the conclusions, nobody has to look at it that way but at least don't go too heavy on the paranoia and numptiness. Honestly, you let yourself down with that attitude.

Maybe what makes it look so much of a conspiracy is the fact that we don't hear such questions in the media. Still...

Opinion polling has been carried out on a weekly basis for decades. The purpose is simply to provide a snap shot of public opinion at that time. That's all. They are commissioned and published because people and the parties find them interesting. Although they obviously can't tell you what will happen at the next General Election, they do give you an indication of the popularity of the parties AT THAT TIME. They are carried out and paid for because people find them interesting and like to discuss them, it's really not a difficult concept to grasp or understand. They also have carried out separate opinion polling specific for the European election. And it's laughable that you seem to think there's something untoward or conspiratorial going on.

As a side note, it's amusing that despite claiming to be anti establishment, you will be voting for the most establishment party in thr World.

Your suggestion that the Telegraph may be pushing a remain line is quite staggering. They have been the staunchest advocates for a hard Brexit. Had you so much as looked at thr Telegraph once in the past three years you'd have no doubt about where they stood.

As for the EU elections, it's not a technical point. It's a simple one. We haven't left yet and therefore we are still a member so take part in those elections. It's because Parliament has not passed a withdrawal agreement.

Again, rather than looking for a genuine answer your instinct always seems allege a bit conspiracy against you. And when you start to argue that the Tory graph are pro remain it takes your conspiracy theories to really quite absurd levels.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 50
Original post by DSilva
Again, rather than looking for a genuine answer your instinct always seems allege a bit conspiracy against you. And when you start to argue that the Tory graph are pro remain it takes your conspiracy theories to really quite absurd levels.

Problem being that I never argued that but now you're stuck in a rut and it'll just go on and on. That's it.
A week is a long time in politics. I wonder what a poll today would say?
Reply 52
Original post by z-hog
Problem being that I never argued that but now you're stuck in a rut and it'll just go on and on. That's it.

You suggested it. And you still don't seem to understand what opinion polling is, or why it's carried out. And because you don't understand it, you start looking for conspiracy theories.

And plenty of people do find it interesting. And it's a good measure of the popularity of the parties at the time it's carried out. That's it, that's all it is and it's happened for decades.

Nothing untoward, nothing misleading, nothing conspiratorial.

How can you not understand that?
Reply 53
https://twitter.com/dialm4merthyr/status/1128756297514536960?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Fab protest on Swansea Road against Farage. In awe of those who lay down to stop cars and block the road. Plenty of support from passing Merthyr folk. Only violence came from one brave Brexit lad who had a pop at a couple of peaceful women protesters. Proud of Merthyr tonight.

Protests by the anti-democratic brigade against a Brexit party rally last night, as it was safe to expect. What would have been a surprise would be for them to repress their totalitarian urges and respect democracy. Bunch of petty-minded fascists, these characters.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending