The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Any supposed differences in the quality of teaching would seem fairly insignificant when compared to differences between living in London and St Andrews. I would base your decision on this factor.
Have a look at the courses and try to decide which one you prefer. Also, consider which location you would prefer to live in.

If you like big cities, and all that goes with them, then UCL would be better. If you hate the idea of city living, then choose StA
Original post by fatdogmendoza
I got offers from both, both are AAA, which one is better for physics in your opinion? Is there much of a difference in the teaching quality?
Reply 3
Unless your offer is for second year entry, the St Andrews course will be 4 years as opposed to the 3 years at UCL.
Has to be UCL for academics and reputation. Although you may meet some very wealthy students at St Andrews as a nice bonus.
I got offers from both, both are AAA, which one is better for physics in your opinion? Is there much of a difference in the teaching quality?
Reply 5

St. Andrews does much better in the UK rankings for physics and has higher student satisfaction rates.
Not that this flimsy data means a lot in intellectual terms. UCL is an annual £1.3 billion colossus, nearly 10 times that of St Andrews.
Original post by TH001
St. Andrews does much better in the UK rankings for physics and has higher student satisfaction rates.
Both will provide you with equally well respected degrees that will stand you in good stead for the future. £1.3billion is irrelevant because at your level you won't really see it and it's unlikely you'll be participating in research.

Forget about subjective opinions on prestige, go where you will be happy. If you're happy you are much more likely to do well.

St Andrews allows you to two extra subjects in the first years - depending on your feelings, this could be a positive or a negative.

If you want to do a masters, St Andrews students are the third most likely to get a place on a master's course at Cambridge after Cambridge and Oxford graduates. That's quite an achievement considering its small size compared to UCL.

But, at the end of the day, go where you feel you will fit in and be happy.
Thanks for the reply!

That's the thing, I'll be pretty much equally happy at either uni, I've literally been weighing the pros and cons of both for well over 2 months and I still can't choose. I'm forced to discard one of the two and I know I'll always ask myself "what if?" no matter where I go. I've even tried a coin toss and that was inconclusive.
Original post by TheHof
Both will provide you with equally well respected degrees that will stand you in good stead for the future. £1.3billion is irrelevant because at your level you won't really see it and it's unlikely you'll be participating in research.

Forget about subjective opinions on prestige, go where you will be happy. If you're happy you are much more likely to do well.

St Andrews allows you to two extra subjects in the first years - depending on your feelings, this could be a positive or a negative.

If you want to do a masters, St Andrews students are the third most likely to get a place on a master's course at Cambridge after Cambridge and Oxford graduates. That's quite an achievement considering its small size compared to UCL.

Reply 9
Thanks for the reply!

That's the thing, I'll be pretty much equally happy at either uni, I've literally been weighing the pros and cons of both for well over 2 months and I still can't choose. I'm forced to discard one of the two and I know I'll always ask myself "what if?" no matter where I go. I've even tried a coin toss and that was inconclusive.

Are St. Andrews and UCL your firm options just out of interest? As you could always put one firm and one as insurance as there could always be the possibility they accepted you if you missed the grades.
Thanks for the reply!

What a nightmare.

How about looking at things like term times and accommodation and see which of those you prefer. Then look at travel to and from university and home (which is easier, cheaper etc)

You could also look at sport facilities and clubs (if you like sport, St Andrews has wonderful sports facilities) look at societies at both universities and see which you would like to join.

Do you like the idea of being in an academic family at St Andrews, with academic mothers and fathers with academic brothers and sisters, uncles and aunts. This is a sort of unofficial support system and allows you to meet different students from other years and courses that you otherwise probably wouldn't get the opportunity to meet.

Would you like to make international friends, because I've heard it's quite easy to do this at St Andrews. My neighbours daughter is a St Andrews student and she got invited to India last year!
Definitely choose UCL - St Andrews is isolated, and there is nothing to do in the area except to play golf or go fishing. UCL is based in central London, where there will be far more opportunity to network and meet all kinds of different people. UCL is also internationally recognised as one of the best in the World, according to all three major World rankings.
Thanks for the reply!

No I must choose one as my firm, I highly doubt that either would be lenient, they're quite explicit about how strict they are with missed grades. I already have an insurance choice, KCL.
Original post by TH001
Are St. Andrews and UCL your firm options just out of interest? As you could always put one firm and one as insurance as there could always be the possibility they accepted you if you missed the grades.
I applied for an integrated master's at St Andrews (4-5 year programme, you get a BSc and then do a 1 year MPhys) so if I go there (and keep my grades up to standard) I should graduate with a master's, if I go to UCL, it's for a BSc only.
Original post by TheHof

Do either give you the chance to study abroad? I think St Andrews might, without adding a year to your course.
I applied for an integrated master's at St Andrews (4-5 year programme, you get a BSc and then do a 1 year MPhys) so if I go there (and keep my grades up to standard) I should graduate with a master's, if I go to UCL, it's for a BSc only.
I don't know but it's not something I really care about, so it doesn't affect my decision
Original post by TheHof
Do either give you the chance to study abroad? I think St Andrews might, without adding a year to your course.
For "academic quality" I think they're probably similar, although UCL has perhaps slightly more of a research presence (at least that I'm aware of), particularly in planetary science and astrophysics. UCL also has an MPhys course, and it's usually straightforward to move between MPhys and BSc courses in the first two years. So this isn't likely to be a significant difference between them. There might be differences in course structure and most likely in options available, so do take a look at that. A significant amount of the content should be common to both (and indeed, all undergraduate physics) courses though. UCL does benefit from the intercollegiate programme of module choices though so even if they don't offer a particular optional module, if RHUL/QMUL/KCL offer it you can take it still.

I think the above posters are correct in that the overriding discrepancy between them is going to be in the location and nature of life at university at each. They are probably as different as you can get; St Andrews being in a very small Scottish city (town?), while UCL being, of course, in London. Don't discredit the amount of difference this can make in your studies - if you hate city living, lots of people constantly around, etc, London is likely to feel quite oppressive. Likewise if you find the thought of the small city/town environment bores you to tears, you might find it very hard to stay motivated in St Andrews.
I think it's probably quite easy to make international friends at either university. Yes, I do like the academic families system, I've been told by many people that London can ironically be quite isolating but I don't think that will be an issue. I'm also alarmed by how low student satisfaction is at UCL, especially compared to St Andrews which has amongst the best in the UK. Honestly I really don't know how I'm gonna make a decision.

Original post by TheHof)
What a nightmare.

How about looking at things like term times and accommodation and see which of those you prefer. Then look at travel to and from university and home (which is easier, cheaper etc)

You could also look at sport facilities and clubs (if you like sport, St Andrews has wonderful sports facilities) look at societies at both universities and see which you would like to join.

Do you like the idea of being in an academic family at St Andrews, with academic mothers and fathers with academic brothers and sisters, uncles and aunts. This is a sort of unofficial support system and allows you to meet different students from other years and courses that you otherwise probably wouldn't get the opportunity to meet.

Would you like to make international friends, because I've heard it's quite easy to do this at St Andrews. My neighbours daughter is a St Andrews student and she got invited to India last year!
You may find that often making many international friends at some universities is actually quite difficult.

If you've exhausted every rational decision making process so you may as well toss a coin and live with the consequence.
I think it's probably quite easy to make international friends at either university. Yes, I do like the academic families system, I've been told by many people that London can ironically be quite isolating but I don't think that will be an issue. I'm also alarmed by how low student satisfaction is at UCL, especially compared to St Andrews which has amongst the best in the UK. Honestly I really don't know how I'm gonna make a decision.

Original post by TheHof)
(edited 4 years ago)
I suggest you read the below thread on St Andrews carefully before making a decision:-

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1176159

Original post by TheHof)

Latest

Trending

Trending