The Student Room Group

Should I still go for medicine or do something else?

Ever since i was a child I’ve always dreamed of becoming a doctor, but recently i’ve been put off by all the hard work. I know if i get into medical school i will work, but i don’t like the idea of having to learn anatomy and physiology! Should i still do medicine and power through my least favourite topics or go for an alternative such as optometry or becoming a teacher(which is defo a good backup!)
Well if you’re asking this question it sounds like medicine isn’t really for you.
Original post by Illusination
Well if you’re asking this question it sounds like medicine isn’t really for you.

But i’m not sure whether I’m asking this if i’m just being lazy and making excuses not to do it?
Original post by d0nkey_dude
But i’m not sure whether I’m asking this if i’m just being lazy and making excuses not to do it?

You should know for certain if you want to do medicine by now. If you are having second thoughts then perhaps look into other courses. Anatomy and Physiology make up a pretty big chunk of the course so don’t go into doing something you hate because that will make your uni experience worse. That’s just my thoughts.
Ever since i was a child I’ve always dreamed of becoming a doctor, but recently i’ve been put off by all the hard work. I know if i get into medical school i will work, but i don’t like the idea of having to learn anatomy and physiology! Should i still do medicine and power through my least favourite topics or go for an alternative such as optometry or becoming a teacher(which is defo a good backup!)

Medicine is hard, a loootttt of work, independant study, no holidays, just study. If you dont like anatomy fully, and you have these questions, better find something else. You will struggle!
Original post by the_queen
Medicine is hard, a loootttt of work, independant study, no holidays, just study. If you dont like anatomy fully, and you have these questions, better find something else. You will struggle!

I was thinking i could just power through the parts that i don’t like, such as the heart etc. Would that be an impossible task?

What is it you think you won't like about learning anatomy and physiology?

You know there is some anatomy and physiology in an optometry degree too right?
Original post by Democracy
What is it you think you won't like about learning anatomy and physiology?

You know there is some anatomy and physiology in an optometry degree too right?

I’m not sure it just isn’t as interesting and disease and metabolic processes etc and there’s just loads of it to learn
I was thinking i could just power through the parts that i don’t like, such as the heart etc. Would that be an impossible task?

Well in medicine it’s not really just the heart you’re learning about is it? Sounds like medicine isn’t for you.
Hi @d0nkey_dude Maybe you need to consider at this moment why you want to be a doctor (not about your dream at an early age) and is this ambition strong enough to carry you through the low points of your studies / career - studying subjects that you might not interest you, high workload possibly reducing your social / free time, dealing with very difficult behaviour from patients who deep down are just fearful of their health outcome, unsociable working hours etc. Don't do it because it's highly respected, good money, your friends / family / school are pressuring you.
If you're looking to apply for Sept 2020 and you haven't already had some some relevant work experience, you'll need to get it in the next couple of months before applying by mid Oct. Also assuming you've pretty strong GCSEs and predicted A level grades (Chem / Bio).
Original post by Splishsplash
Hi @d0nkey_dude Maybe you need to consider at this moment why you want to be a doctor (not about your dream at an early age) and is this ambition strong enough to carry you through the low points of your studies / career - studying subjects that you might not interest you, high workload possibly reducing your social / free time, dealing with very difficult behaviour from patients who deep down are just fearful of their health outcome, unsociable working hours etc. Don't do it because it's highly respected, good money, your friends / family / school are pressuring you.
If you're looking to apply for Sept 2020 and you haven't already had some some relevant work experience, you'll need to get it in the next couple of months before applying by mid Oct. Also assuming you've pretty strong GCSEs and predicted A level grades (Chem / Bio).

Well i’ve just done my end of year 12 exams so should be getting my grades soon, gcse’s were decent. Thanks for the good advice and putting it into perspective so I will have a think about it!

The work is huge, if you are not really passionate by the subject it will not be friendly.... at all! There are chances you will hate it, there are many students who abandoned the course because of the wotkload. Take care!
Original post by the_queen
The work is huge, if you are not really passionate by the subject it will not be friendly.... at all! There are chances you will hate it, there are many students who abandoned the course because of the wotkload. Take care!

I think i might have to consider alternative career options such as optometry, teaching, research etc
I know if i get into medical school i will work, but i don’t like the idea of having to learn anatomy and physiology!

I’m not sure it just isn’t as interesting and disease and metabolic processes etc and there’s just loads of it to learn

You can't learn about abnormal function unless you know what normal function is. Not wanting to do physiology but go straight to pathology is like wanting to make an omelette for lunch but not wanting to crack any eggs.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending