The Student Room Group

Wrong Maintenance Loan amount

is there any way to change this? i've received so much less than i needed and i'm eligble for the highest loan as my household income is under 25k
Can anyone help?

Scroll to see replies

It should be broken down into two figures:

Maintenance Loan £3,928
A higher amount of Maintenance Loan £4,502

Does your application summary not list both amounts?
Original post by BigYoSpeck
It should be broken down into two figures:

Maintenance Loan £3,928
A higher amount of Maintenance Loan £4,502

Does your application summary not list both amounts?

the maximum is 8k and they've only given me 3.9k
£3,928 is the maximum maintenance loan, it's then what they call A higher amount of Maintenance Loan that gets you the additional £4,502. I found the application a little confusing at first as it did look like there was only going to be £3,928 but you also need to make sure in the application you also apply for the higher amount as well.

Your summary then lists them separately:

Untitled.png
Either they a) Haven't assessed you yet or B) you didn't tick the box to be means assessed
Reply 5
Original post by proprofootball
the maximum is 8k and they've only given me 3.9k

3.9 is the minimum that everyone gets. The rest of it is based on your household income.

If you asked to be income-assessed, then SF will contact your parents and ask them to send details of their income. The extra amount will then be given to you. If you didn't ask to be income-assessed, then you will only get the 3.9 until you change your application.

If you ask to be income-assessed, your parents can't send in their income details until SF contact them. Has that happened yet? If it has and your parents have responded, then it takes a while to assess the application with that income to get the extra. Have your parents sent in their income information yet?
Hi I'm having the same problem. It shows I'm getting £3,928 as the maintenance loan, so i guess thats the basic minimum id be getting and i have asked for the additional load. It shows up with 'Up to £4,502' so does this mean i will be getting both amounts together making it £8,430? Im just struggling to understand it as in my first year it just came up as one whole figure at £9000 roughly.
Reply 7
Original post by thebluebox4898
Hi I'm having the same problem. It shows I'm getting £3,928 as the maintenance loan, so i guess thats the basic minimum id be getting and i have asked for the additional load. It shows up with 'Up to £4,502' so does this mean i will be getting both amounts together making it £8,430? Im just struggling to understand it as in my first year it just came up as one whole figure at £9000 roughly.

Yes, you add the two figures together to get the maximum available. Whether you qualify for the full £4502 additional amount will depend on your household income.
Me too! It says I will only get £4168 but I am supposed to get the maximum. Slightly worried I've done something wrong
Reply 9
i have the same problem
Original post by Psychabix
Me too! It says I will only get £4168 but I am supposed to get the maximum. Slightly worried I've done something wrong
Have you got this sorted ? I'm having the same problem
Original post by User238
i have the same problem
I've also only been granted £4168 which is more than 2 grand under what I need/usually get, has anyone managed to find out how to sort this problem
Reply 12
no i have tried to contact them but on the phone they don’t really seem to know why, they said it should get updated though in the next 2 weeks. Getting slightly worried now
I called a month ago was told I was due for update on the 2nd July. Nothing changed ! So I called again, was told it would be rushed through within 48 hours, still not done, so called again. Was promised it would be sorted that day monday just gone by 8pm and it was, thankfully. My issue was the original maintenance loan was authorized before they received and reviewed my evidence. When they recieved my evidence it just sat there. Sometimes they need a reminder I think as there are lots of applications. I know some people didnt ask to be means tested either which has caused a problem with their loan only being the minimum.
Reply 14
i did ask for means tested, i feel like might need to remind them as i’ve sent evidence twice now with no response
Original post by Sam.swaby23
I called a month ago was told I was due for update on the 2nd July. Nothing changed ! So I called again, was told it would be rushed through within 48 hours, still not done, so called again. Was promised it would be sorted that day monday just gone by 8pm and it was, thankfully. My issue was the original maintenance loan was authorized before they received and reviewed my evidence. When they recieved my evidence it just sat there. Sometimes they need a reminder I think as there are lots of applications. I know some people didnt ask to be means tested either which has caused a problem with their loan only being the minimum.
Phone student finance and try to explain the situation to them, they'll get it sorted.
Reply 16
i have twice and problem has still not been resolved x
Original post by Glimmerz
Phone student finance and try to explain the situation to them, they'll get it sorted.
A call sounds like what's needed, just be persistent
Original post by User238
i did ask for means tested, i feel like might need to remind them as i’ve sent evidence twice now with no response
Has anyone managed to get this sorted? I'm in the same situation, I should be getting more than £4168 and not sure why they haven't taken my evidence into account.
has this been sorted out at all for you? and what did you do if it did get sorted out?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending