Reply 7
Sam Harris is such a tit.
Original post by gjd800
Sam Harris is such a tit.

his talks on mindfullness are nice though
Reply 9
Original post by angelike1
his talks on mindfullness are nice though

I dunno, I read the actual source material on that stuff, so his divorcing it from its original contexts winds me up.

With that said, if it helps you then fair is fair. My gripes with him are academic, I suppose.
Original post by gjd800
I dunno, I read the actual source material on that stuff, so his divorcing it from its original contexts winds me up.

With that said, if it helps you then fair is fair. My gripes with him are academic, I suppose.

Fair enough - ik a lot of people dislike his political stance and the like.
Reply 11
Fair enough - ik a lot of people dislike his political stance and the like.

I don't subscribe to his politics but I at least understand them and acknowledge the reasoning behind them. He isn't immune to the jumps of logic that he criticises, which is funny.

I feel like I should add that I think him promoting meditation etc is a good thing. I just think he is wrong on what it consists of and what its main uses are (i.e., 'insight into the workings of the mind').
Original post by gjd800
I don't subscribe to his politics but I at least understand them and acknowledge the reasoning behind them. He isn't immune to the jumps of logic that he criticises, which is funny.

I feel like I should add that I think him promoting meditation etc is a good thing. I just think he is wrong on what it consists of and what its main uses are (i.e., 'insight into the workings of the mind').

Can you expand? What does it consist of?
Reply 13
Can you expand? What does it consist of?

Well, I don't think vipassana really does what he wants it to, viz to 'to make fundamental discoveries in the laboratory of your own mind.' It is a concentration-builder, for sure. And it has other benefits. But fundamental insight into the nature of mind it is not.
I can remember when my ex husband left and he took everything ( the money, our decent possessions, even all the alcohol)! My mother turned to my elder son and said he thinks he can take everything, but he can’t take your mind”. His mind is the reason a is so successful today.

Quick Reply

Latest