The Student Room Group

My uni won't give more than 80%

Hey everyone!
I'm just wondering if your universities have a similar policy to this? I've just finished second year of university, and in first year I received a few grades in the 80s, which was great - however this year a couple of lecturers have mentioned that they don't give anyone above 80% (which clearly wasn't true last year).
One lecturer even said that they don't give above 80% because the exam boards get on their case to justify it etc.

This is all fair enough, and I get that anything above 70% is a first and amazing and you should be happy or whatever, but recently I've had two assessments come back at 72% and 77% and in the feedback they've said "this is a model assessment" and "there's nothing you could have done differently to improve this assessment." So why on earth do my grades not reflect that?

It's quite frustrating. Of course I am over the moon to be given firsts for these assessments, but it's still a little annoying.

Is it just my university that has this weird policy? Have you experienced similar things where the feedback is "your work is great and cannot be improved" but for it to not be reflected? Share your thoughts.

Scroll to see replies

Hey,

I can totally understand your point. I found that there's still a difference between 70 and 80 despite the fact they are both firsts. Personally, the only time I had a 80 something was on a multiple choice exam. You mention that your marker said that your assessment was like a model answer. I've had a comment before saying that there's little I needed to improve (was an essay) yet I still only received a 72. Assuming you aren't attending my university, this must be quite a common theme.
It is fairly common across the board. As you’ve already said, a lot of institutions require special reports to be written by the examiner if they award higher than 80% or lower than 30%. The sad reality is that many university lecturers don’t really have time for this with the mountains of assessments to mark, the lectures to plan, the research to do etc etc. And given everything above 70 is a first anyway and you can’t get higher than that, it’s understandable to a degree why they do it.
Also while something you have might be a model answer for a first, that doesn’t mean it’s worth 100%. Many lecturers will require something scoring in the 80s to be beyond what is expected of an undergraduate. Basically, 80 is often reserved for the “truly exceptional” which holds a very different meaning at university than it did at school.
(edited 4 years ago)
I’m at Cardiff and they do exactly the same with all my coursework. They keep all my grades in 70’s even the bad ones too! Really frustrating when my coursework is above 70. My course mates will get the same grades as me even though they copied wiki an hour before it’s due 😡
My uni has often scored me in the 80s, especially this year (my final year) and in my first year one of my coursework assignments i got 100%. I didn't know that other unis would hardly give marks higher than 80%!
Maybe there's something wrong with the work you put in, get feedback from someone else other than your teacher
Reply 6
Thank you everyone for your replies - I'm glad it's not just my university. It just seemed odd that last year I was getting 88% for some assessments that HAD things to be improved in the feedback. It definitely is a situation of filling out forms etc, which is kind of annoying even more so as my course has been cancelled at the university so they have very few students left.

Original post by guccibananas
Maybe there's something wrong with the work you put in, get feedback from someone else other than your teacher

I'm not sure how your uni works, but at mine the teacher is the person who grades you, which then goes to an exam board where most of the time they agree with the grade, or change it by a couple of %. There is no one else :smile:
100% reserved for God, 90% for His angels, 80% for professors and 70% for students.

I think this is a vanity thread designed to tell us you're on 80s. If you genuinely want to know how to do better, ask to meet up and discuss it with the leading academics at your uni. Ask to get involved with your academics' research projects as well, so you get some higher-level insight.
Reply 8
80+ is touching publishable quality. I've given about 3 in 4 years.
Original post by gjd800

Depends on uni as well, surely?

Seen a lot of my mates at the local ex-poly getting 80s for essays. Highest essay I've seen at my place is a 75%.
Reply 10
Original post by Notoriety
Depends on uni as well, surely?

Seen a lot of my mates at the local ex-poly getting 80s for essays. Highest essay I've seen at my place is a 75%.

Aye, the same applies but it shifts -- just seen your comment above and reckon it is true. Publishable = unusual grades, 'model answers' can be cool and with little to change, but not of sufficient quality to publish. Very odd that staff would say 'nothing can be improved'. Never seen a paper that could not be improved, even if it was published in the JIP.
Reply 11
100% reserved for God, 90% for His angels, 80% for professors and 70% for students.

I think this is a vanity thread designed to tell us you're on 80s. If you genuinely want to know how to do better, ask to meet up and discuss it with the leading academics at your uni. Ask to get involved with your academics' research projects as well, so you get some higher-level insight.

Oh not at all, I'm genuinely curious if other universities have this policy or if it's something my university has cooked up this year (there's been a lot of criticism at the university's marking schemes recently). I'm not on 80s, I generally average at 65% :smile:, this was just two different assessments that appeal to my strengths :smile:
Original post by gjd800

I got 92 in an essay once at university and it was dog tier. :colonhash: honestly think it depends on the university. :biggrin: And how kind the lecturer feels and how scared they are of moderators.
Reply 13
Original post by gjd800

Original post by gjd800
Aye, the same applies but it shifts -- just seen your comment above and reckon it is true. Publishable = unusual grades, 'model answers' can be cool and with little to change, but not of sufficient quality to publish. Very odd that staff would say 'nothing can be improved'. Never seen a paper that could not be improved, even if it was published in the JIP.

Thank you - this makes a lot of sense? I have a theory that they're a little more liberal with marks for first years due to it not counting towards the final grade, and they wanna keep students sweet - is this the case?

The lecturer in question didn't right "nothing can be improved" but under the "points to bare in mind for the future" nothing was written, and so I took a tutorial to find out more and it was she said to me when I asked.
Original post by gjd800

Aye, difficult to have the perfect paper (unless it's a really weird assessment). I would imagine it must come from laziness in the marker?
Reply 15
Original post by Themysticalegg
I got 92 in an essay once at university and it was dog tier. :colonhash: honestly think it depends on the university. :biggrin: And how kind the lecturer feels and how scared they are of moderators.

STEM?
Reply 16
Aye, difficult to have the perfect paper (unless it's a really weird assessment). I would imagine it must come from laziness in the marker?

I reckon so. 'Can't be arsed looking like a pedant' or 'it's 2am, this is script #93 and I am going to bed' :laugh:
Original post by gjd800
I reckon so. 'Can't be arsed looking like a pedant' or 'it's 2am, this is script #93 and I am going to bed' :laugh:

And the dog is shagging me foot and the desk, and I don't want to find out what happens when's he's done.
At Edinburgh, I was told that 85+ would be considered publishable quality. The head of my department even said that it would take him the entire year of just solely doing the final year dissertation to score in the 90s.

That said, I know a handful of people who have received low and high 80s in their final year essays and dissertation. :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Whispers
Thank you - this makes a lot of sense? I have a theory that they're a little more liberal with marks for first years due to it not counting towards the final grade, and they wanna keep students sweet - is this the case?

The lecturer in question didn't right "nothing can be improved" but under the "points to bare in mind for the future" nothing was written, and so I took a tutorial to find out more and it was she said to me when I asked.

It could well be you were unlucky with the marking, but I think it is more likely that the staff member couldn't be bothered (or maybe they just don't know!). There is always a couple of things that can bump up the mark, even if it is gramnatical/stylistic.

You might be right re first years but it's not something I have ever seen personally. That's not to say it doesn't happen!

In any case, you are doing v well and should not get too hung up on this (I know it is easier said than done, I was the same!).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending