The Student Room Group

Help - I have just received a letter to attend a plagiarism committee meeting

Scroll to see replies

I just saw your note written four days ago. Did the meeting occur, or is it still pending? Your situation is bemusing to contemplate, and I have a couple of thoughts about this situation. Try to relax knowing that, until you are further informed, any worry on your part is futile. Relax knowing there is nothing for you to do until you are more informed. Modules, papers, and dissertations that become part of an institution's database are a gift to faculty and students and researchers. Topics become cross-referenced according to subjects, authors, and sources. We all benefit from access to a wealth of resources; new as well as time-honored knowledge. This database can also reveal plagiarisms-- intentionally or accidentally exposed. Is your work part of this database? That would explain much. (Point 1) It does not seem that you are suspect here. However, on the off chance that your work is questioned, my advice is to relax within this possibility. Wait to hear what is said first. Armed with the information you need, you will be able to defend your work and its validity with assurance and wise detachment. Until you know the nature of this meeting, you can't possibly prepare. For now, just relax, and breathe. (Point 2) If the latter is the case and your friend did borrow a bit too heavily from your work, we can all understand the painful need for them to address this issue now rather than later in life-- for your friend's sake as well as those they will potentially serve. This kind of crisis, though painful, is character-building. And dealing with consequences now will instruct your friend in the ways of authenticity-- this is the bottom line of anyone's offering to society. And, out of this crisis, your friend will be given a great gift: the necessity to dig deeper and rely on their own being as the source of original insights--Integrity and competency in one's chosen field or expression will follow. We all know the tension leading up to a hallmark project, or module. For some of us, this is a profound stressor causing anxiety. However, to be creative, we are often called upon to 'hold the tension' while producing the profound and the meaningful. Out of creative tension comes authentic expression that both informs and fulfills us, as well as others. Such fulfilling instances draw us onward to similar fulfilling expressions and all benefit. Given this line of thought, you may be asked whether your friend had access to your work prior to creating their own. If this is the case, be as understandingly philosophical and helpful as I know you will be. Again, relax and breathe. Viardi
Update . Meeting attended, bit scary to sit in front of the panel. Had to explain the whys and how’s and have had a caution not to share work ever again. My degree is safe, the person who copied my work has been kicked out of uni . Thanks everyone for your advice :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Update . Meeting attended, bit scary to sit in front of the panel. Had to explain the whys and how’s and have had a caution not to share work ever again. My degree is safe, the person who copied my work has been kicked out of uni . Thanks everyone for your advice :smile:

Thank you for updating and glad it all turned out ok for you.
Original post by Anonymous

Glad that you didn't get any repercussions, and it just goes to show that universities aren't afraid to kick people out for plagiarism. Have you spoken to the person since, or have you steered clear?
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Glad that you didn't get any repercussions, and it just goes to show that universities aren't afraid to kick people out for plagiarism. Have you spoken to the person since, or have you steered clear?

Most definitely avoided her, and removed from Christmas card list, friends don’t do that . :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending