The Student Room Group

Best A levels for Computer Science at uni?

I want to do a computer science degree as I love computer science but I'm so horrible at math it's actually sad. I was thinking of doing Comp Science, physics and maybe philosophy, but I heard a level physics involves a lot of math, which I'm horrible at? Is there anything else I can take or are there any alternative IT/Computer science courses I can take that dont involve so much maths? I want to work with the police in computer forensics in the future
computer science courses at less good universities generally require less mathematical knowledge - just look at some module lists
Computer science degrees are very Maths Based. Are you really looking at the right course. Lancaster and Nottingham accept a level computing instead of a level and I think Swansea, East Anglia and Sussex do as well. Check this information as it is from memory.
Original post by Anonymous
I want to do a computer science degree as I love computer science but I'm so horrible at math it's actually sad. I was thinking of doing Comp ,Science, physics and maybe philosophy, but I heard a level physics involves a lot of math, which I'm horrible at? Is there anything else I can take or are there any alternative IT/Computer science courses I can take that dont involve so much maths? I want to work with the police in computer forensics in the future
Reply 3
Original post by HoldThisL
computer science courses at less good universities generally require less mathematical knowledge - just look at some module lists

ok thanks I'll look at them
Reply 4
Original post by swanseajack1
Computer science degrees are very Maths Based. Are you really looking at the right course. Lancaster and Nottingham accept a level computing instead of a level and I think Swansea, East Anglia and Sussex do as well. Check this information as it is from memory.

that's the thing all of the computer science I've done at GCSE hasn't really involved much math. if it has it's been very simple math. I'm averaging 6/7 at GCSE but my math is a different story. are there any courses similar that don't include so much math?
that's the thing all of the computer science I've done at GCSE hasn't really involved much math. if it has it's been very simple math. I'm averaging 6/7 at GCSE but my math is a different story. are there any courses similar that don't include so much math?

I'm not really an expert but there are other computer courses worth looking into. Have a look at various computing options. How bad are you at Maths as the ones I have given sometimes teach the Maths side. I would suggest posting this on the computer science forums. There maybe people there who can help you more. Doones haS knowledge of computer science but doesnt seem to have been on here lately. Same with YL7777.
I'm not really an expert but there are other computer courses worth looking into. Have a look at various computing options. How bad are you at Maths as the ones I have given sometimes teach the Maths side. I would suggest posting this on the computer science forums. There maybe people there who can help you more. Doones haS knowledge of computer science but doesnt seem to have been on here lately. Same with YL7777.

thanks I'll look around. and I'm very bad at maths
I want to do a computer science degree as I love computer science but I'm so horrible at math it's actually sad. I was thinking of doing Comp Science, physics and maybe philosophy, but I heard a level physics involves a lot of math, which I'm horrible at? Is there anything else I can take or are there any alternative IT/Computer science courses I can take that dont involve so much maths? I want to work with the police in computer forensics in the future

Hate to be a downer but from what I've been told, jobs are very limited in the forensic/police area. I was told on a open day that you could expect 80 applications for one job opening, which is one of the reasons why i'm now going down the Computer Science route in September instead of a Foresnic/Security degree to keep my options open, one 3rd year told me he was going into Cyber security for example and he's doing cs. Speaking from experience I'd advise against Philosophy/ethics at A level lol, although eye opening it's a bit Mickey Mouse which is why I dropped it. Plus it's not the same as RE at GCSE.

@swanseajack1 is right - for 2020/1 entry to the BSc Computing Science course at UEA we accept BBB or ABC including one from Mathematics, Computing Science, Physics, Electronics, Economics or BBC including A in the Extended Project. Science A-levels must include a pass in the practical element.

You can find more information here as well as join us at our upcoming Open Days to ask our academics in person more about the course.

If you have any questions at all, please do let me know! :h:

Laura - Official UEA TSR Rep
Reply 9
Original post by University of East Anglia
@swanseajack1 is right - for 2020/1 entry to the BSc Computing Science course at UEA we accept BBB or ABC including one from Mathematics, Computing Science, Physics, Electronics, Economics or BBC including A in the Extended Project. Science A-levels must include a pass in the practical element.

You can find more information here as well as join us at our upcoming Open Days to ask our academics in person more about the course.

If you have any questions at all, please do let me know! :h:

Thanks. Could I take Computer Science, Electronics and Economics and still be accepted?
You will need to meet our entry requirements of BBB or ABC including one from Mathematics, Computing Science, Physics, Electronics, Economics or BBC including A in the Extended Project. Science A-levels must also include a pass in the practical element.

Key thing to note here is that we only need one of the A Level subjects above. If you want to do Computer Science, Electronics, and Economics, go for it - it'll give you a great understanding and foundation of knowledge for the course. Just remember you do have the option to take two different A Level subjects if you prefer :h:

Thanks. Could I take Computer Science, Electronics and Economics and still be accepted?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending