The Student Room Group

[Poll] Edexcel Further Maths Overall Grade Boundaries 2019 A-level

Scroll to see replies

Emailed my teacher asking for direct grade boundary predictions. His response-

That's a good question, and not one I can easily answer at all!

I have only looked in detail at the Pure papers, and thought they were reasonable, in terms of level of difficulty, but time-consuming (I spoke to one of your classmates on Friday, who I'd expect to get an A*, but they didn't finish).

I am used to (roughly) 90% for an A*, and 80% for an A (those are the only boundaries you need to be concerned with) - I cannot believe they'll be that high this summer, but can't predict with confidence what they'll be.

How do you think you got on? Please try not to worry over the summer."

Make of that what you will, though all I make of it is A* < 270 and A < 240
(edited 4 years ago)
There's no way 30% of the cohort scored anywhere near 270.
Original post by MagnumKoishi
Emailed my teacher asking for direct grade boundary predictions. His response-

That's a good question, and not one I can easily answer at all!

I have only looked in detail at the Pure papers, and thought they were reasonable, in terms of level of difficulty, but time-consuming (I spoke to one of your classmates on Friday, who I'd expect to get an A*, but they didn't finish).

I am used to (roughly) 90% for an A*, and 80% for an A (those are the only boundaries you need to be concerned with) - I cannot believe they'll be that high this summer, but can't predict with confidence what they'll be.

How do you think you got on? Please try not to worry over the summer."

Make of that what you will, though all I make of it is A* < 270 and A < 240
Original post by Statistician384
There's no way 30% of the cohort scored anywhere near 270.

Yeah, I'd find it very surprising. My maths teacher seems to be giving the old spec average boundaries as the upper limit there, though I wouldnt expect them to be anywhere close
I'm still maintaining that an A* will be 242 though.
Well, I think I got 228 with no method marks and 232 if they would give me some. Effed up FM1 losing 25 marks in one go! I reduced myself 20 marks more, for things that I don’t know I did wrong, on a scale of 5 marks for each component, I got 208. I know I’ll surely get a B but could that be an A?
*I did CIE for other subjects and it’s like 230 out of 250 for A* in Single Maths and 195 out of 200 in FM, so I’m not quite used to Edexcel.
Most likely yes.
Original post by jeremykhant
Well, I think I got 228 with no method marks and 232 if they would give me some. Effed up FM1 losing 25 marks in one go! I reduced myself 20 marks more, for things that I don’t know I did wrong, on a scale of 5 marks for each component, I got 208. I know I’ll surely get a B but could that be an A?
*I did CIE for other subjects and it’s like 230 out of 250 for A* in Single Maths and 195 out of 200 in FM, so I’m not quite used to Edexcel.
Reply 86
228 will be an A as 205 will be the boundary in my opinion. You should be fine. Might not be an A*, but an A.
What do you think the A* boundary will be?
Original post by Puzzlin
228 will be an A as 205 will be the boundary in my opinion. You should be fine. Might not be an A*, but an A.
Reply 88
What do you think the A* boundary will be?

I did something really bad in cp1 losing 8 marks in one go, and something similar again in fm1 losing 15 marks lol (in addition to other mistakes). I'm sure enough people make annoying silly mistakes for you to get away with it. I'm on exactly the same mark as you and I'm hoping for an A

Edit: in terms of the other exam board's boundaries, Edexcel old spec used to be similarly high. The new spec is intended to reduce the boundaries significantly though, punishing people less for accidental mistakes
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 90
What did you do in cp1? You could be credited for any incorrect working through method and ECF marks so I would say you won’t have lost all 8 marks if you were on the right lines.

I did something really bad in cp1 losing 8 marks in one go, and something similar again in fm1 losing 15 marks lol (in addition to other mistakes). I'm sure enough people make annoying silly mistakes for you to get away with it. I'm on exactly the same mark as you and I'm hoping for an A
Original post by Puzzlin

Which modules?
Original post by Puzzlin
What did you do in cp1? You could be credited for any incorrect working through method and ECF marks so I would say you won’t have lost all 8 marks if you were on the right lines.

No, I didn't see the initial conditions in the question (although they were there, I was being blind) so couldn't even attempt the last two parts. I'm miffed because that's a really easy 8 marks I lost there. No chance of picking up any working marks
Reply 93
D1 + FM1. The other class in my college did FS1 + D1. My college thinks the boundaries for these options two will be almost identical
Which modules?
I did FP1 + FS1.
Original post by Puzzlin
D1 + FM1. The other class in my college did FS1 + D1. My college thinks the boundaries for these options two will be almost identical
Are you sure? Many people have said they were caught out in FS1.

Original post by Puzzlin
Are you sure? Many people have said they were caught out in FS1.

FM1 had a somewhat unpleasant 9 mark question in the middle that I'm sure threw a lot off too, and that's a lot of marks to lose if you don't at least use the right method
FS1 had four potential "catch-outs". 2-3/4 definitely caught me out.
FM1 had a somewhat unpleasant 9 mark question in the middle that I'm sure threw a lot off too, and that's a lot of marks to lose if you don't at least use the right method
FS1 had four potential "catch-outs". 2-3/4 definitely caught me out.

Fair enough, fm1 was decent other than that one question. Idk how many marks I lost in it tbh. I didn't get the answer although my method was valid, I just couldn't get through the algebra.
Could be anything from 0/9 if they don't like my method (defo wasn't the method they intended us to use, but I've confirmed it was a valid method. Idk how they treat valid methods that aren't on the mark scheme)
To perhaps 4/9 if they're OK with my method as I did get decently far through the Q
Fair enough, fm1 was decent other than that one question. Idk how many marks I lost in it tbh. I didn't get the answer although my method was valid, I just couldn't get through the algebra.
Could be anything from 0/9 if they don't like my method (defo wasn't the method they intended us to use, but I've confirmed it was a valid method. Idk how they treat valid methods that aren't on the mark scheme)
To perhaps 4/9 if they're OK with my method as I did get decently far through the Q

They give full marks for any valid method provided you follow instructions. (ie. if they tell you to use one method and you use another it may not be creditable) Chances are you won't have been the only one to think of that method (unless it's quite far out) so it'll probably be covered by an alternative in the MS anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest