The Student Room Group

Are these A levels fine for a psychology degree

A level: History, Philosophy, and English literature.
Although I might do a joint degree with Psychology and Law or something similar.
Best to have a science in there for psychology. For example instead of philosophy do psychology or biology.
Reply 2
I'm not typically good with sciences so I think I might do Psychology instead! But honestly Idk at this point.
Original post by MariannaL
Best to have a science in there for psychology. For example instead of philosophy do psychology or biology.
Original post by Manip01
I'm not typically good with sciences so I think I might do Psychology instead! But honestly Idk at this point.

Just pick what you enjoy, psychology degrees don't always need sciences or psychology at A-level.
You won’t need psychology at a level x however psychology is a science so make sure it’s what you want to do.
Original post by Manip01
Although I might do a joint degree with Psychology and Law or something similar.

Pick subjects you would like! 2 years is a long time, you want to enjoy learning and be engaged. A levels are tough, so make you’re interested in the subjects.

Psychology as an A Level was great, both in terms of content and exam. There was lots of little mark questions, so if one question goes wrong - it ain’t the end of the world. The content was very interesting as well. Was my fav subject at A Level!

But pick the subjects you like! A levels are Very difficult and content heavy! You need to have the energy and passion to revise consistently.

Good luck :smile:
Most unis I know of prefer two sciences for a psych degree but just talking one should be fine. The content of psych a level now is very similar to the uni content so taking it would give you a real advantage
Reply 7
Thank you so much on the feedback and the luck HAHAHA! But I will keep what you've said in mind.
Original post by ForeverYoungx
Pick subjects you would like! 2 years is a long time, you want to enjoy learning and be engaged. A levels are tough, so make you’re interested in the subjects.

Psychology as an A Level was great, both in terms of content and exam. There was lots of little mark questions, so if one question goes wrong - it ain’t the end of the world. The content was very interesting as well. Was my fav subject at A Level!

But pick the subjects you like! A levels are Very difficult and content heavy! You need to have the energy and passion to revise consistently.

Good luck :smile:
Original post by Manip01

Most Psychology degrees like you to have at least one science (or maths), but Psychology counts as a science.

If you're not good at Biology don't take it and just make sure that you only pick unis only asking for one science, there are lots of good options
Reply 9
Okay thank you, also on the top of your head do you think there are any uni's that don't require A level psychology to do it at uni.
Original post by harrysbar
Most Psychology degrees like you to have at least one science (or maths), but Psychology counts as a science.

If you're not good at Biology don't take it and just make sure that you only pick unis only asking for one science, there are lots of good options
Reply 10
If those are the subjects you’re doing and you’re planning on doing psychology as a degree then it does suggest that you don’t yet quite understand what the subject entails.

Psychology is essentially applied maths and biology. It’s not philosophising about human nature. Those days are done.

By all means do those subjects if you’re interested in them. I did English lit and history alongside psychology. At the time the bit of psychology I did was just enough to put me off, although I came back around to it eventually. But I wouldn’t have been prepared to do the degree with just the English and history side of things. I started philosophy and dropped it but I doubt very much that would have helped me either.

Get maths or biology into the mix or at the very least psychology. If you don’t like maths or biology then you’re not likely to like psychology. Just something to know.
Reply 11
Okay thanks, It's fine because I don't mind Maths or Biology it's just I'd rather study Psychology.
Original post by giella
If those are the subjects you’re doing and you’re planning on doing psychology as a degree then it does suggest that you don’t yet quite understand what the subject entails.

Psychology is essentially applied maths and biology. It’s not philosophising about human nature. Those days are done.

By all means do those subjects if you’re interested in them. I did English lit and history alongside psychology. At the time the bit of psychology I did was just enough to put me off, although I came back around to it eventually. But I wouldn’t have been prepared to do the degree with just the English and history side of things. I started philosophy and dropped it but I doubt very much that would have helped me either.

Get maths or biology into the mix or at the very least psychology. If you don’t like maths or biology then you’re not likely to like psychology. Just something to know.
Original post by Manip01
Okay thank you, also on the top of your head do you think there are any uni's that don't require A level psychology to do it at uni.

All the unis I know ask for at least one science, so if people don't have Psychology they would expect them to have something like Bio or Chem instead.

My daughter did English Lit, History and Psychology A levels and she got offers from all 5 unis she applied to. She was never brilliant at maths or science (she got Bs in the old gradings of GCSE) but coped fine with the maths part of the course, it was mainly stats and not too hard she said.
Reply 13
Okay thank you once again! Ironically I think I'm going to do those exact A level combo too!
Original post by harrysbar
All the unis I know ask for at least one science, so if people don't have Psychology they would expect them to have something like Bio or Chem instead.

My daughter did English Lit, History and Psychology A levels and she got offers from all 5 unis she applied to. She was never brilliant at maths or science (she got Bs in the old gradings of GCSE) but coped fine with the maths part of the course, it was mainly stats and not too hard she said.
Reply 14
Original post by Manip01
Okay thanks, It's fine because I don't mind Maths or Biology it's just I'd rather study Psychology.

If you like those subjects that's great. If you do one or the other of those, or at the very least Psychology, then you'll be better prepared for the psychology degree itself. English and History won't help you that much.
My advice to you would be

Choose a different degree

Unless you know what you are getting yourself into and know exactly what it will take to get to where you want to be
You need to check entry requirements at several different Unis.

As has been mentioned, Psychology is a science based degree, and most Unis will require either Psychology or a science at A level. And often GCSE Maths at B or above.

Go to some Open Days and listen to the subject talks - make sure this subject is actually what you think it is.

Also - check that the degree is BPS accredited - this will decide where/what career you can have. See : https://www.bps.org.uk/psychologists/accreditation

Remember that you can also do Psychology as a joint subject - 'and Education', 'and Neuroscience', and lots of other subjects. Many of these joint degrees are also accredited.

Quick Reply

Latest