The Student Room Group

What to bring when you open a student bank account

So when I go to the bank to open up a student bank account:

*what do I bring
*what do I say

Thanks for the help
"Hi I'd like to open a student account".

Bring a passport/driving licence as proof of identity, any form of proof of address (bill, NI letter, driving licence) and a letter from UCAS to confirm your student status.
Bring your passport, student finance and any ucas letters.
If you don't have your student finance letter- drivers licence or bank statement/bill with your name on it.

Research the student account option that best suits your circumstances.
So you have decided which option you want, before you come to the bank and ask to open a student account.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Liv.123.x
So when I go to the bank to open up a student bank account:

*what do I bring
*what do I say

Thanks for the help

Others have addressed the proof of identity/proof of address/proof of current or imminent student status issue. You might want to check the bank's website to see what they'll accept.

Bear in mind that if you turn up unannounced at a bank asking to open an account they might not be able to deal with you immediately; it will depend on what staff they have available. It would be better to pop in or phone up to make an appointment. That's as simple as "Hi, I'd like to open a student account; can I make an appointment for that?"
You normally need three pieces of identification (I did- one needs to be photo ID and one proof of address)
Also it may be easier if you make an appointment in advance for the branch.
Reply 5
Original post by AzureCeleste
You normally need three pieces of identification (I did- one needs to be photo ID and one proof of address)
Also it may be easier if you make an appointment in advance for the branch.

How quick does it take to open it up, when you go to the bank
Reply 6
Original post by londonmyst
Bring your passport, student finance and any ucas letters.
If you don't have your student finance letter- drivers licence or bank statement/bill with your name on it.

Research the student account option that best suits your circumstances.
So you have decided which option you want, before you come to the bank and ask to open a student account.

How quick does it take to set up in store
Original post by Liv.123.x
How quick does it take to set up in store

It depends on what bank you go to, how much credit history you have and whether you are applying for the overdraft.
My first student account without an overdraft was opened in half an hour, with the account number setup and the debit card arriving three days later.
The second student account opened with a £2500 interest free overdraft took 14 days to get the account setup and card arrived five days later.

RBS, Natwest and Metro tend to be very fast for no overdraft accounts.
Santander and Nationwide get accounts with overdrafts setup in less than four days.
HSBC, Halifax and Lloyds are very slow, some of my friends had to wait for longer than 32 days to get their new account numbers and debit cards.
Lloyds delays are appalling, and their "customer service" is even worse- telephone or at the branch.
Original post by londonmyst
It depends on what bank you go to, how much credit history you have and whether you are applying for the overdraft.
My first student account without an overdraft was opened in half an hour, with the account number setup and the debit card arriving three days later.
The second student account opened with a £2500 interest free overdraft took 14 days to get the account setup and card arrived five days later.

RBS, Natwest and Metro tend to be very fast for no overdraft accounts.
Santander and Nationwide get accounts with overdrafts setup in less than four days.
HSBC, Halifax and Lloyds are very slow, some of my friends had to wait for longer than 32 days to get their new account numbers and debit cards.
Lloyds delays are appalling, and their "customer service" is even worse- telephone or at the branch.

Think some of these are person dependent
I'm with HSBC and opened it within 30mins/an hour on the day. Debit card was with me within a couple of days, I wouldn't say they are slow at all (mine was with 1000 overdraft as well)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending