The Student Room Group

Is solo travelling as a female haram?

I want to visit a few countries in Asia including South Korea and Japan on my own but my parents will never allow me. They think it is haram for a female to solo travel. Its so unfair because if my brother (who is younger than me) wanted to travel on his own they wouldn't care.

What should I do? If I do ignore them and go they would probably not speak to me at all and most likely ship me back to an Islamic country.

Scroll to see replies

No it is not haram. They are saying no because they are afraid of what guys would do to a girl travelling alone over there...
back in the day it was dangerous for women to travel alone, it still isnt 100% safe but it's still much safer tbh

just let them know exactly where you'll be and have a rigid plan of what you'll be doing everyday when you ask them if you can go. dont let them doubt you

gl xx
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
back in the day it was [...] but [now]

A good response for virtually all religious rulings.
Reply 4
I don't think they were referring to religious rulings there, rather the matter of safety.
Original post by Ascend
A good response for virtually all religious rulings.
Reply 5
It is still very much unsafe.
Original post by Anonymous
back in the day it was dangerous for women to travel alone, it still isnt 100% safe but it's still much safer tbh

just let them know exactly where you'll be and have a rigid plan of what you'll be doing everyday when you ask them if you can go. dont let them doubt you

gl xx
Yep but the human male is the human male, wherever you are in this world. So the fear is always there for a girl roaming the streets alone, especially at night. It doesn't matter where you are, there are always sadistic people wanting to take advantage...
Reply 9
Original post by -Quava-
I don't think they were referring to religious rulings there, rather the matter of safety.

'safety' isn't an excuse. If it was, the parents would have the same issue if the man was travelling alone. it's downright sexist. why should a woman be deprived of the same opportunities as a man?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 10
I'd hate to be a woman in islam
https://twitter.com/vocativ/status/1136279255900274688?s=20
Don't be too disgusted because it's Japan right?
Get together a very tight travel plan and try again. Likely they're concerned about your safety as travelling alone sounds a bit dicey (esp when you're a woman and potentially have to deal with the weird/creepy foreign blokes), but travelling alone in places that aren't third world half-warzones is a pretty safe endeavour as long as you meet a few conditions:

-plan exactly what the hell you're doing and where you're gonna be
-make sure somebody out in the world somewhere knows where you are and what you're doing
-learn the basic customs and manners of wherever you're going so you don't accidentally commit repeated faux pas (ideally you'll want a few words of the language as well but you can oftentimes go without as long as you're visiting well developed places)
-don't go into strange areas of town alone at night
-use the general common sense you'd use whilst navigating new places in your home country

So get a bit more of a full proposal together and give it another whirl. For Islam specifically the haramness will likely depend who you ask, I don't know of any mad specific rules in the Quran on the matter myself, but I'm not a Muslim so not the most reliable encyclopedia of Quranic knowledge.

If that fails, find a friend (or several) who wants to go on this adventure with you! Groups are always safer and you'll be able to sidestep the whole haram sticking point. Might not give you the same cool vibes or general freedom as solo travel, but will let you actually visit the places as opposed to... not doing that.
Original post by Secretariat123
Yep but the human male is the human male, wherever you are in this world. So the fear is always there for a girl roaming the streets alone, especially at night. It doesn't matter where you are, there are always sadistic people wanting to take advantage...

Then learn where the more dangerous areas are, don't go outside alone late at night and instead try and stick to more crowded public places if you're out at silly times and learn how to get a taxi? Not rocket science.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 13
It's not haram, it's just not safe to travel alone especially for a female.

yeah it's haram but why would you go alone instead of with a group of friends. I mean it's still haram but more fun yknow
According to Islamic rules, traveling as a woman on your own without a mahram (which briefly translates to: a close relative such as brother, father, uncle) is impermissible for females
Reply 16
I'm planning to go South Korea as well in the near future, we're only young once you know and IMO should travel as much as we can, while we can. Don't disregard everything they say, but if you really want to go, try to convince them somehow e.g. if it's because of safety then let them know you'll be safe at all times, constant communication with them and so forth. Else, if it's about religion then....yeah.
Reply 17
Original post by angelike1

yeah it's haram but why would you go alone instead of with a group of friends. I mean it's still haram but more fun yknow

solo travel is just as fun as travelling with a group of friends
Sounds sexist to me. You should do whatever you want, regardless of religious, cultural or social expectation.
Reply 19
Original post by verycoolperson
According to Islamic rules, traveling as a woman on your own without a mahram (which briefly translates to: a close relative such as brother, father, uncle) is impermissible for females

I'm sorry but this makes islam a sexist religion. Imagine your daughter wanted to go travelling on her own or with a group of other girls but she wouldn't be allowed 'cuz of religion'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending