The Student Room Group

Conservative leadership thread: Boris Johnson chosen as next UK Prime Minister

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Napp
This seems to sum up what his regime will be like;

I suspect he knows full well that an election is coming really soon.

My suspicion is that he wants it to be triggered because of his failed attempt to push through a hard Brexit, as that sets up the best platform to fend off the brexit party. I don't think anyone can look at the impossible mess that we have now, and not think an election is coming, I just think he wants it to be called because of brexit, rather than because of in-fighting within the tory party.

e.g.

"I am calling an election because the will of the people is being frustraited by parliment, and I need your support to get brexit through"

Is a much better call then

"I am calling an election because half of my party don't support me, and I have no majority to get any of my policies through, no mandate, and no ability to negotiate with europe"

We will have an election before next spring, and it will come down to who can unite their bases better. Boris will need the brexiteers, The never-corbyn remainers, and the brexit-supporting labour voters, if he has any chance at beating a remain-coalition between the lib dems and labour.
what a surprise

said no one ever...
Original post by Fullofsurprises
JR-M won't be Chancellor, it would be too controversial. Boris is already signalling a centrist mainstream kind of cabinet.

I think he might make Gove Foreign Secretary.

You're probably right about some of the others - it will be interesting to see who becomes Brexi-Sec, under Theresa that was largely a meaningless role since she ran it from No 10.

I do think JRM will get a great office of state, but I doubt Boris will be that centrist.
It's aggravating the extent to which people fawn over and capitulate to the ancien regime of Britain's extreme class system - here we have the full Etonian arrogance and entitlement coupled to the obsequious compliance of the Tory voters and many of his fellow MPs.

Even worse has been listening to the miserable toadying today from journalists across the Right who clearly have little in the way of critical faculties when confronted with so noble a presence. Or are they just too dazzled by the prospect of someone who can apparently easily beat Corbyn to worry about what a Boris government will actually be like?

*sigh* What does Boris going to Eton have to do with anything?
Original post by LiberOfLondon
I do think JRM will get a great office of state, but I doubt Boris will be that centrist.

Most unlikely. One of Boris' problems, part of the Cameron/May legacy, is that far too many politicians are only willing to accept one of the top jobs and not an ordinary cabinet position. Boris is not only going to be left with a hostile Remainer faction but also with a lot of disgruntled office-seeking Brexiteers who are going to be disappointed and angry.
Well, at least we're not like the poor Americans who have to put up with a clownish and over-privileged buffoon of an overweight old white man with no knowledge of ordinary people as their leader.

Wtf does does his race have to do with anything? Jeremy Corbyn is an old white man and is the polar opposite of Trump. GTFO with your race hatred liberal.

Because it’s a class issue. We are being saddled with yet another member of the old boys plutocracy they has lead Britain into the dirt because among other things they have no experience or connection with working people.

Cameron, Boris and Osborne have never had to struggle to pay rent or anything- they’ve been extraordinary privileged- that’s why they champion the status quo it’s worked out very nicely for them.
Original post by NJA
To all the critics of Boris: who is the best national leader in the World right now?

Putin... Xi Jinping....
Original post by Alt Tankie
Because it’s a class issue. We are being saddled with yet another member of the old boys plutocracy they has lead Britain into the dirt because among other things they have no experience or connection with working people.

Cameron, Boris and Osborne have never had to struggle to pay rent or anything- they’ve been extraordinary privileged- that’s why they champion the status quo it’s worked out very nicely for them.

You could say exactly the same thing about Corbyn. The man has never worked a proper job in his life, how can he possibly claim to represent working people when he himself is a career politician?
Original post by Mike172
You could say exactly the same thing about Corbyn. The man has never worked a proper job in his life, how can he possibly claim to represent working people when he himself is a career politician?

You’re right to a small degree, though Corbyn does not champion the status quo and has dedicated his life to helping others esp the less fortunate whereas Cameron et al have primarily helped themselves

It actually has a lot. Well, not Eton per se, but his general privilege.

Johnson isn't just man of startlingly limited ability, he has been sacked twice for dishonesty. He is someone who fails upwards and that is a consequence of his background.

Johnson is a fine example of why those of us who do not believe in rewarding failure, and believes that success should be based on ability, drive, initiative, etc. rather than entrenched privilege could never vote Conservative.
Reply 90
Putin... Xi Jinping....

Yeah the Russian economy is and has always been poor (except for the oligarchs), civil rights in China are terrible.
Original post by nulli tertius
Most unlikely. One of Boris' problems, part of the Cameron/May legacy, is that far too many politicians are only willing to accept one of the top jobs and not an ordinary cabinet position. Boris is not only going to be left with a hostile Remainer faction but also with a lot of disgruntled office-seeking Brexiteers who are going to be disappointed and angry.

It's a bit barking the way Boris is going on about (or at least, the media say he is going on about) having a 'Brexit majority' cabinet. As if that will help. At present, MPs are determined to thwart a no-deal Brexit, so unless Boris is planning some sort of military coup, it's implausible that he can renegotiate the Withdrawal Agreement and it remains implausible that he can satisfy the ERG and the DUP.

We are definitely heading for an Autumn general election as his only way forward is to try to get a working majority.
Original post by Mike172

Not true. He worked for a few months as a junior reporter for the Newport and Market Drayton Advertiser after leaving school. Your argument falls to dust. :teehee:

Oh please. The modern Tory party is supposed to believe in a meritocracy. Eton is a bastion of old English upper class privilege and Right to Rule. The fact that not one but two of their recent Prime Ministers went there speaks volumes for the myth of modern meritocracy.

Play the ball, not the man.
Putin... Xi Jinping....

Both Islamophobic bigots. Is this a troll?
Original post by Trotsky's Iceaxe
It actually has a lot. Well, not Eton per se, but his general privilege.

Johnson isn't just man of startlingly limited ability, he has been sacked twice for dishonesty. He is someone who fails upwards and that is a consequence of his background.

Johnson is a fine example of why those of us who do not believe in rewarding failure, and believes that success should be based on ability, drive, initiative, etc. rather than entrenched privilege could never vote Conservative.

Read Brittania Unchained before you say Toryism isn't meritocratic.
Play the ball, not the man.

Both Islamophobic bigots. Is this a troll?

Read Brittania Unchained before you say Toryism isn't meritocratic.

I am, Boris and Cameron et al are a product of a certain way of doing things.

How are they islamophobic? Evidence please?

I’ve skimmed it. Typical assault on the poor from the have-everything’s, and is simply not based in reality.

Capitalism is based on ‘merit’ but unfortunately the merits are the worst impulses of humanity and the lowest common denominator.
Original post by NJA
Yeah the Russian economy is and has always been poor (except for the oligarchs), civil rights in China are terrible.

How was the USSR a superpower for so long then?

Also it depends on what you value as a society. The only thing we value in the West is consumerism and money (branded as freedom)
Reply 97
Because they put their considerable natural resources into nuclear and other military power.

That doesn't make them good, it just protects the people at the top and makes the lives of the prolitariat poor and suppressed. the Berlin wall wasn't to stop people like you rushing East for a better life!

"the only thing we value in the West is consumerism and money (branded as freedom)"

You have really swallowed Marx's opiate!

Many of us enjoy freedom of expression, movement, cultural diversity and an education system that enables greater choice.

How was the USSR a superpower for so long then?

Also it depends on what you value as a society.
(edited 4 years ago)
I am, Boris and Cameron et al are a product of a certain way of doing things.

I wouldn't call attacking people's schooling (something they had no choice over) playing the man.

How are they islamophobic? Evidence please?

Look at Jingping's persecutions of Muslims in East Turkestan.

I’ve skimmed it. Typical assault on the poor from the have-everything’s, and is simply not based in reality.

Do explain how talking about a hard-working student (as shown in the below quote) who represents the good things about Britain is an ”assault on the poor”?

Spoiler

Capitalism is based on ‘merit’ but unfortunately the merits are the worst impulses of humanity and the lowest common denominator.

Says the self professed tankie with a North Korean flag as his avatae

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending