The Student Room Group

The Year 12s into 13s Summer Study Support Group 2019

Scroll to see replies

1. english literature, maths, politics and geography
2. waiting for as results day. i screwed up math but the more i overthink the more that i feel that i'm probably going to get 4 Us which i know isn't the case but i am scared
3. a levels was like i imagined but i thought sixth form would be more fun. i thought there would be more events and more freedom but i was disappointed (with my school in particular)
4. gone way ahead with A2 content in some subjects already and i spent june-july leaening new material anyway. i have coursework and it is compulsory that i crack on with it. afterward it's lnat prep and personal statement draft i need to begin. i'll probably spend 4-5 hours everyday doing work and the rest of my time watching TV shows, reading classics and going places over summer. rn i'm on holiday and didn't expect to get WiFi until august but atm i'm just chilling and rereading my english literature texts
5. next year sounds like hell but since i'be nearly completed an A level course on my own already i'm not too fussed. combining AS material onto A2 is what stresses me out the most but i'm dropping a subject which should reduce the overwhelming feeling in my chest. i am excited to go out a lot though because since joining sixth form i have been more social and my health is improving and i hope i practice time management more next year (i am also really sad that it will be my final school year)
What's up :smile:

1. What subjects do you take? Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics.

2. How did your mock exams go? Are you happy with your results? If not, why? My mocks went very well - I got 98% in chemistry, 94% in physics and 96% in the pure maths paper. I got 84% in the statistics and mechanics paper, but my percentage was dragged down since the paper included topics we hadn't been taught so nobody could answer quite a few of the questions.

3. What surprised you the most about about A-levels? Did it meet your expectations? I thought there would be a ridiculous amount of work and that I would have to spend every evening working, but fortunately the workload wasn't as high as I expected. I have 8 frees a week so there's usually quite a lot of time to get work done in.

4. What are you going to do this summer? Focus on transition work, read ahead of class, relax, sleep? I'll need to prepare for maths admissions tests (MAT and STEP) and interview, as well as go over a few A level topics to make sure I don't forget anything over the summer. Besides that, I'll probably play some video games and relax/spend time with friends. I'm planning to build a gaming PC (cost permitting) and learn to drive.

5. How are you feeling about next year? Excited? Bricking it? Want it over and done with? To be honest I think some of it will turn out to be quite fun, but I'm really not looking forward to having to revise for January mocks in year 13 (I love all my subjects but revision for the A level course is rather tedious and boring). I'll have to try and make the most out of the year as it'll obviously be my last year before going to uni.
There should be a thread for rising 3rd Years at uni.

Year 12 studying... Must be nice though :smile: im only slightly envious.
hiya
1. What subjects do you take?
biology psychology english lit
2. How did your mock exams go? Are you happy with your results? If not, why?
good :smile: however didn't realize how strict they were about predicted grades (might just be my school idk)
3. What surprised you the most about A-levels? Did it meet your expectations?
lots of independent work but kinda expected that tbh
4. What are you going to do this summer? Focus on transition work, read ahead of class, relax, sleep?
gots lots of books to read for english coursework- doing The Ladies Paradise so if anyone has any recommendations what to do for a comparison coursework book pls help.
5. How are you feeling about next year? Excited? Bricking it? Want it over and done with?
stressed tbh not sure what im doing after sixth form yet
Reply 44

Bio, chemistry and maths (dropped further maths after mocks). The way we do MFM at our school is to teach all of the maths course in year 1 and all of FM in year 2. It was a bit of a strategic move tbh :blow: and I knew from the outset I'd drop FM at the end of the year, having learnt most of the maths course (time dependent).

ABB respectively. Happy with bio's A because the school are notorious for setting hard papers for mocks:biggrin:. Chem was disappointing, although I was higher up comparatively to the rest of this years batch. Took a full maths paper with sequences and integration yr2 qs taken out, and got a B so I'm fairly pleased with that. Room for improvement. Predicted A*A*A* - that I'm definitely happy about.

3. What surprised you the most about about A-levels? Did it meet your expectations?

Any teacher who said anything about year 12 to me earlier on would say - without fail - that there would be a jump and it would be big. Tbh I'm still waiting for it in bio and chem. For maths, it came at the end of year 2 differentiation when I thought "o crap, I'm going to actually have to remember all these differentials". And integration year 2 makes me want to exit the room.:backstab:(here, the red dude is year 2 integration and the blue dude is - you guessed it - julius caesar)

4. What are you going to do this summer? Focus on transition work, read ahead of class, relax, sleep?

I made a sweet lil checklist I'm going to enjoy ticking off this hot. Got a PHAT eight weeks to do so and I've just come back from holiday so that's.... just less than 6 good weeks left. Got the lovely UCAT to look forward to on the 21st of aug, and personal statement to write, as well as fitness + friends + rev for last year + reading + ..... + going on tsr more often.

5. How are you feeling about next year? Excited? Bricking it? Want it over and done with?

Sad that's it's our final year but happy that uni is just around the corner! Got a few months to really grind and then I can enjoy a long ass summer with all its perks. Can't wait for uni y'all. All I have to do now is get in!:bban:
Chemistry, biology, English and history.
My mocks were surprisingly good! I was pleasantly surprised with my grades A*A*AA and was predicted A*A*A*A (A in history) which I'm soooo pleased with!
3. What surprised you the most about about A-levels?
The workload!
Did it meet your expectations?
The year went much better than I expected. I made a lot of new friends. :smile:
UCAT practice, coursework, relax & hang out with friends, draft my personal statement, go over trickier topics from y12, more UCAT prep....
The only thing I'm excited about for next year is summer and (hopefully) starting uni! :biggrin:
Maths, History, German (+ EPQ, which I finished at the end of this year!)

We did AS past papers and I got AAA so I'm definitely happy with that! :smile: I was a little disappointed with a few of my history essays since they got me some of my lowest marks this year, but luckily the other parts of the exams managed to pull me up to an A. Maths and German went really well too - I was super consistent throughout all of my papers, which was reassuring.

3. What surprised you the most about about A-levels? Did it meet your expectations?
I definitely won't be the only one saying this but the workload for sure!! I also started off the year taking Further Maths as a 4th subject but dropped it at the end of January because results-wise it wasn't up to the same level that I was at with my other subjects, even when I had put in much more time and effort for it - I was worried that dropping the subject would give me 'too much' free time (I love to be busy aha) but, actually, I continued to always have something to do so I didn't end up bored.

Sleep :h: Also a mix of working, extra reading/supercurricular stuff for my PS, homework (which I haven't even batted an eyelid at yet lol), continuing driving lessons (hopefully will also take (and pass!) my theory too), travelling (I'm going to Berlin with my family), finalise uni decisions, look over/prep for /book/take(?) the LNAT, go to the gym (purely to make sure I'm not sat down or napping 24/7, as tempting as it is), and binge a bunch of TV shows and films that I haven't had time to watch yet :smile:

I haven't really thought about it until coming across this thread, so I was all good until a few minutes ago lol. But in all honesty I'm feeling okay about it, I am glad that both Maths and German are subjects that you can't really cram in the night before, so I won't be tempted to leave revision to the last minute like I feel like I did for some of my GCSEs. I'm a very motivated person when I'm at school (though I can't say the same for being at home haha) and so I already feel in a good position for starting next year, with all the time I spent doing work in Year 12.
. What subjects do you take?
I take psychology, health and social care and sociology

I did well but not happy with my result tbh

It met my expectations, just realised how horrible teens are lmao

4. What are you going to do this summer? Focus on transition work, read ahead of class, relax, sleep
Prepare for uni and revision

So excited
Reply 48
hey friends!!

I took biology, chemistry, psychology and drama (I know) in y12, and I’ve dropped chem for y13 :smile:

My psych was great, which I’m happy about. My AS sciences are a mystery, I have no idea how they went and I’m kinda nervous because I need some good predicted grades!!

Its kinda what I was expecting but I didn’t want it to be how I expected, if that makes sense? Some of the stuff on my courses (especially in drama) has been more.. boring? than I had hoped, but it’s been pretty ok. I’ve made more friends than I was expecting to!

I’m working a part time job a lot which I’m kinda sad about (I do not make a lot of money and it’s not the most interesting thing in the world) and I’m currently working 65 hours over July-August, which feels like a lot to me BUT it’ll give me something to do I guess? I’m also doing some around-the-subject reading and reading a bit into the uni courses I’m interested in, as well as doing some notes I missed from year 12 and the summer tasks I’ve been set too. I’ll also try to find some time to sleep and eat and binge Netflix. Oh and driving lessons, hopefully taking my theory test soon and my practical in September!! Busy times!!

I really just want it over - I’m excited to get to uni and I’m really nervous about offers and getting into the places I want to go to and then, if I get those offers, being able to get those grades.. very stressed lol. I’m definitely going to need support!!!

Hope everyone’s having a wonderful summer :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 49
Hey everyone! Hope everyone's summer is going well so far <3

History, Spanish, and English Literature (I ended up dropping Biology...)

I got an A in English Lit, and Bs in Spanish and History, which I'm pretty happy with; not quite up to where I needed to be, but I had a rough time mentally around the end of the year so I think that reflected in my results. English is one I'm especially happy with, since I was struggling to scrape a C earlier in the year!

The amount of freedom you get to study things you're interested in, even though I'd known there was more than GCSE. Being able to pick my own books to study for my English NEA as well as the question was really surprising.

It's going to be a balance of reading ahead of my classes (since I've got some books to read for English and Spanish), doing some actual work (I'm self-employed so I've got to work on my time management a lot this summer), and normalising my sleep schedule, LOL.

I'm hyped for the new content but not at all hyped to be sitting actual exams... It's gotta be done, though.
1, I take A-levels in Geography, Psychology and Philosophy (also EPQ)

2, Neither awful or amazing- just how i expected (which isn't bad)

3, I don't think there was really any surprises as i had read up on what to expect quite a lot before starting (boring i know)

4, The usual- maybe some reading, studying, relaxing and most definitely shopping and enjoying the outdoors

5, Nervous of course! It has come around so fast, i can't quite believe i am taking my A-levels so soon (ish). But of course excited too!

Original post by GreenCub
What's up :smile:

1. What subjects do you take? Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics.

2. How did your mock exams go? Are you happy with your results? If not, why? My mocks went very well - I got 98% in chemistry, 94% in physics and 96% in the pure maths paper. I got 84% in the statistics and mechanics paper, but my percentage was dragged down since the paper included topics we hadn't been taught so nobody could answer quite a few of the questions.

3. What surprised you the most about about A-levels? Did it meet your expectations? I thought there would be a ridiculous amount of work and that I would have to spend every evening working, but fortunately the workload wasn't as high as I expected. I have 8 frees a week so there's usually quite a lot of time to get work done in.

4. What are you going to do this summer? Focus on transition work, read ahead of class, relax, sleep? I'll need to prepare for maths admissions tests (MAT and STEP) and interview, as well as go over a few A level topics to make sure I don't forget anything over the summer. Besides that, I'll probably play some video games and relax/spend time with friends. I'm planning to build a gaming PC (cost permitting) and learn to drive.

5. How are you feeling about next year? Excited? Bricking it? Want it over and done with? To be honest I think some of it will turn out to be quite fun, but I'm really not looking forward to having to revise for January mocks in year 13 (I love all my subjects but revision for the A level course is rather tedious and boring). I'll have to try and make the most out of the year as it'll obviously be my last year before going to uni.
Haha yes, UCAT prep is killing me!
Original post by syrup!
bio chem maths
amazing and yeppp
nothing really
ucat and bmat prep :frown:
excited tbh (lmao im so sad)

Spoiler

Reply 52
i did mine yesterday :s-smilie:
Original post by whizzer_wins
Haha yes, UCAT prep is killing me!

Maths, Physics, Economics and Further Maths

Maths didn't go as expected as the stress of the exam period completely messed up my ability to conduct the lateral thinking (which i'm usually fairly good with due to STEP) needed to answer rhe hardest questions, so I only got an A.

Physics went much better than expected and I scraped an A (was aiming for a B and had gotten C's and D's in all the mock practices).

Economics was a mess with my essay structure, but I still got a solid B (overall AAB).

To be honest, in my case, it was that it wasn't as crazily hard as people had said it would be. AS Physics and Economics were a big challenge which I got used to, but Maths was nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be (I struggled initially with most topics, but as the year progressed, I got much stronger on the earlier ones.

4. What are you going to do this summer?

Prepare for Oxford Maths interview, the MAT and do lots of maths practice to hopefully raise my further maths predicted grade (currently a B, I need an A*)

Somewhat excited but also worried. I found AS Physics quite challenging, so I am quite worried about A2, which has some rather baffling and esoteric material (notably, binding energy, medical imaging and magnetism). Looking forward to A2 economics since i've found a lot of A2 material much more interesting compared to the AS stuff, which I still need to master 😑

Further Maths A2 looks scary but i'm looking forward to the challenge after having enjoyed the challenge of A2 Maths this year. I am hoping to get through Further with a similar strategy to how I got through normal (10-12 hours a week of practice and reading of related ideas to keep up my motivation). I am most scared about university admissions currently, since my predicted grades are far below where I need them to be.
Hiya, I'm Charlotte :smile:

Maths, French, German, Philosophy (dropped at the end of the year)
Ours have to be moderated so they aren't certain 'til September, but currently AAAB. I was disappointed with my maths mark, particularly pure, but I wasn't in the best frame of mind when I did it hehe! I was happy enough with French and German. Honestly, these weren't my best set of results but I think that's the whole "jump" to A-Level and something to work on over the summer. Philosophy was a 3 hour 45 minute exam and at one stage I thought I couldn't do either of the essays and would have to sit there for an hour and a half but I waffled my way through!
I stayed at the same school but was still quite nervous about the transition into the Sixth Form. Honestly, Sixth Form is great, I love the people and all the extra-curricular aspects of it. Work-wise, I think it met my expectations, it got harder, which certainly showed in some of my grades, but y teachers are great and I really enjoy my courses.
My summer is quite busy: I'm just about to reach the halfway mark and I've not had tons of time to do much work. I'm mainly focussing on revising maths, trying to finish my IRPs for French and German and wrestling with my personal statement. I probably won't read ahead, if I have time I will try and consolidate last year's work. Oh and sleep, because I after October half term I won't get any lie-ins if GCSEs are anything to go by.
Mixed emotions really. I'm happy at and enjoy school so it will be nice to go back, and I'm excited to apply to University etc. Honestly, the idea of taking A-Levels doesn't bother me too much, I think I've resigned myself to the fact I've got to do them so will just get on with it (come back to me in 9 months when I've been getting by 8 every morning hehe!).
Reply 55
Original post by Toastiekid

English Literature, Computer Science and Graphics Design
It went pretty decent! I am a bit disappointed on one but I know my flaws and what to work on now to improve my grades. Heck, there'll be more resources given in year 13 so that'll be great!
With subjects like Graphics and English Lit, I was worried I wouldn't be able to handle the workload, but surprisingly, I've been doing well. And applying to become a student ambassador was better than expected! Meeting and making friends with students from Shanghai was awesome.
Review topics for CS, carry on my with my Graphics project and make high quality notes for Eng Lit! I'll also be travelling places to start my portfolio and hopefully do some work experience!
Feeling a bit nervous considering how short year 13 is, but I'm also excited on getting my timetable!
Original post by Toastiekid
:woo: Welcome to 2019's Year 12s into 13s Summer Study Support Group :woo:

Year 12 is over:party: but is all the work over too? For most people, yes, it's time to party and binge netflix. If you're here though you're probably planning on using the summer to get ready for next year, whether that may be by tidying up notes, learning next year's course, doing coursework, you name it. (Please don't work 24/7 though, summer is still a time for a deserved break:hugs:, look after yourselves:heart:)

This thread is for any Year 12's moving into Year 13 who want a space to destress, rant, swap share study techniques, document their study goals/progress, discuss ideas and find like-minded people who may be taking the same courses as them!

Feel free to come and go as you please, whether you want to regularly chat on here or just lurk around to steal a few study ideas, all are welcome!

Here are a few questions to introduce yourself and get the conversation started:

Here are some subject specific tips from last year's summer study support group (big thanks to @CinnamonSmol:smile:):

Spoiler

Feel free to share your own advice, useful threads and website:thumbsup:

Hi everyone,
I too am entering Year 13 in September and feel mildly crushed by the workload I have to do:frown:

1. What subjects do you take- English lit, philosophy, politics- (why I chose to abuse myself by taking politics, I will never know.)
2. How did your mock exams go? Are you happy with your results? If not, why? - pretty good actually- I got predicted A* A A which was always my goal.
3. What surprised you the most about about A-levels? Did it meet your expectations? - it's definitely more independent and requires you to go beyond the course- and its imperative from day 1 to stay on top of your workload. Also, subjects like English lit, despite being done at GCSE, are taught surprisingly different at A level.
4. What are you going to do this summer? Focus on transition work, read ahead of class, relax, sleep? - So. Much. Work. I'm making notes on content, making notes for next year, doing past papers, writing my ps and preparing for the ELAT and Oxford process (yes, I have also chosen to subject myself to Oxford-wahey.)
5. How are you feeling about next year? Excited? Bricking it? Want it over and done with? Excited, but sort of worried about falling behind considering we won't have a summer to catch up like now; as well as the fear that the university process might distract me from A levels and other things.
1. I take Psychology Biology and English Language
2. They went well, however I neglected my revision for psychology so I obviously didn't do as well in that but nonetheless I'm happy with my results
3. I go to a college instead of a secondary school sixth form and the freedom and adult environment did initially surprise me.. Especially just calling my teachers by their first name
4. Organising my notes and doing exam questions, but mainly chilling
5. Slightly nervous cause I'm also picking up an EPQ, gotta make sure I'm organised aha
I take:
Maths
Further maths
Computer science
The mocks went pretty well for maths and further maths. I was quite worried I’d messed up the further maths exams but they turned out quite well. I’ve been predicted As in both of them which I’m very happy with. As for computer science my school made me take the AS, so I’ll get my predicted grades in about 2 weeks, but for now my predicted grades are AAA
What surprised me about A levels or generally just sixth form was how useful frees are, they really allowed you to be independent and make the best use of your time. Also because they were in school I could work a lot better with no distractions and not on my messy desk. But the amount of homework I got was ridiculous, there wasn’t a single point where I had no work to do
This summer I’m mainly catching up on all the work I haven’t done, like maths exercises, and I’m learning a bit more python to help with my computer science coursework. So mainly just preparing for a productive year 13
I’m very much bricking it for next year, I’ve got high aspirations with some of my uni choices and I really need to make sure I don’t stop working next year
Reply 59
Original post by LottieLouLou
Hiya, I'm Charlotte :smile:

Maths, French, German, Philosophy (dropped at the end of the year)
Ours have to be moderated so they aren't certain 'til September, but currently AAAB. I was disappointed with my maths mark, particularly pure, but I wasn't in the best frame of mind when I did it hehe! I was happy enough with French and German. Honestly, these weren't my best set of results but I think that's the whole "jump" to A-Level and something to work on over the summer. Philosophy was a 3 hour 45 minute exam and at one stage I thought I couldn't do either of the essays and would have to sit there for an hour and a half but I waffled my way through!
I stayed at the same school but was still quite nervous about the transition into the Sixth Form. Honestly, Sixth Form is great, I love the people and all the extra-curricular aspects of it. Work-wise, I think it met my expectations, it got harder, which certainly showed in some of my grades, but y teachers are great and I really enjoy my courses.
My summer is quite busy: I'm just about to reach the halfway mark and I've not had tons of time to do much work. I'm mainly focussing on revising maths, trying to finish my IRPs for French and German and wrestling with my personal statement. I probably won't read ahead, if I have time I will try and consolidate last year's work. Oh and sleep, because I after October half term I won't get any lie-ins if GCSEs are anything to go by.
Mixed emotions really. I'm happy at and enjoy school so it will be nice to go back, and I'm excited to apply to University etc. Honestly, the idea of taking A-Levels doesn't bother me too much, I think I've resigned myself to the fact I've got to do them so will just get on with it (come back to me in 9 months when I've been getting by 8 every morning hehe!).

Oh my goodness you’ve nearly finished your IRP? My school hasn’t even started them yet and I’m quite worried about them :frown:. Is yours just a big word document with loads of research? Any advice would be appreciated :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest