The Student Room Group

help?!? in need of some clearing; hotlines haven't been able to clear up for me ....

Hi anyone who is kind enough to respond to my query

I've spoken to various people from both universities and the official UCAS helpline about this, and they've given me such different responses about a subject that could go very wrong if I do the wrong thing...
The situation is, I am currently waiting to see if my firm has accepted me, but I am also interested in some courses at different universities via clearing, as my cousin went through clearing last year and ended up at a uni doing a course that was much better than his initial firm choice, but he took quite a big risk as he declined his firm and solely relied on finding somewhere good via clearing. What I wanted to know is, how does the process work if you are (God willing, knock wood) accepted into your firm but you also want to see if any clearing choices appeal to you, without having to do something as consequential as rejecting all your current choices. I've been given varying advice, as UCAS told me that you should obtain a verbal offer before choosing to reject your course and request to be put into clearing, but universities have said verbal offers do not hold as much weight as a conditional, and different universities have their own approach and what they mean by verbal offers, so you shouldn't reject your firm on the basis of what a university has promised you over the phone.

Thanks for any input, as it's too late now to speak to officials, but the wonderful TSR community might be able to help.

Mina xx
Original post by minaa77

I've spoken to various people from both universities and the official UCAS helpline about this, and they've given me such different responses about a subject that could go very wrong if I do the wrong thing...
The situation is, I am currently waiting to see if my firm has accepted me, but I am also interested in some courses at different universities via clearing, as my cousin went through clearing last year and ended up at a uni doing a course that was much better than his initial firm choice, but he took quite a big risk as he declined his firm and solely relied on finding somewhere good via clearing. What I wanted to know is, how does the process work if you are (God willing, knock wood) accepted into your firm but you also want to see if any clearing choices appeal to you, without having to do something as consequential as rejecting all your current choices. I've been given varying advice, as UCAS told me that you should obtain a verbal offer before choosing to reject your course and request to be put into clearing, but universities have said verbal offers do not hold as much weight as a conditional, and different universities have their own approach and what they mean by verbal offers, so you shouldn't reject your firm on the basis of what a university has promised you over the phone.

Thanks for any input, as it's too late now to speak to officials, but the wonderful TSR community might be able to help.

Mina xx

You are still able to call other universities and ask about clearing vacancies over the phone, but I believe they would need your clearing number to actually view your application to decide whether they would give you an offer. To get a clearing number, you obviously have to be in clearing. However, a university may still give you an offer without a clearing number if your grades are good enough. Also, any offers you should get you should ask to be sent to you via email so you have it in writing, they would usually state the course code and a deadline for when the offer is valid until. I'm not sure how different unis approach these verbal offers but from what I have seen once you have written confirmation and apply within the time frame they want, you should be accepted. But, there have been the odd cases I have seen online where unis don't hold true to their verbal offers as some may have misunderstood what the student said when telling them which grades they have which led to rejection. If you are interested in a uni that was one of your original 5 choices when you applied, I believe they still can access your application and you can try and get a verbal offer without releasing your firm.
Strictly you need to decline your current offer and go into clearing as your cousin did and universities would only make offers when you are in clearing. However many universities will say to you if you ring them yes we will make you an offer if you decline your current offer. You would then have to decline your offer and go through clearing to the new university. Some universities might follow the official method though. Basically it is risky to decline the offer you hold but that is something you may need to do if you wish to go to the higher graded university. Alternatively if your grades are better than your offer you could use adjustment.
Different Unis have different policies for Clearing. Some can give you verbal/email offers and you can then apply and some may require you to be in Clearing on UCAS before phoning. I would suggest listening to what each Uni says in regards to how their Clearing works.
Original post by minaa77

Mina xx

Basically, the reason you're being conflicting advice is because there are "official" policies and what actually happens in practice.

Not every uni will speak to you without a clearing number, as they won't be able to view your UCAS application. Certainly not every uni will make you an offer in this situation.

However, declining your place is a big risk, so it's worth at least calling and speaking to unis first.

If a uni makes you an offer, they are usually keen to have you, so it's worth asking if they will confirm your offer in writing. If they will only give a verbal offer, make a note of the time and who you spoke to, but verbal offer should be honoured.

I hope this helps a bit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending