The Student Room Group

Universities for drug development

Which universities allow courses for drug development/ drug discovery?
And are these two degrees the same?
Hi, I've moved your thread from the Pharmacy forum; that is for courses leading to qualification as a dispensing pharmacist (which those degrees are not).

They are largely interchangeable terms, although drug development could be considered a slightly broader term than drug discovery, involved in more stages of the development cycle (rather than just discovery).

I would suggest you search on UCAS for those terms, as well as "pharmaceutical science", "pharmaceutical chemistry", and "medicinal chemistry", as they're all largely focusing on the same area.

Pharmacology courses may also be of interest, although they are somewhat different in that they focus on the biological side of drug mechanisms and action, understanding how drugs affect the body, rather than developing new drugs.
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Hi, I've moved your thread from the Pharmacy forum; that is for courses leading to qualification as a dispensing pharmacist (which those degrees are not).

They are largely interchangeable terms, although drug development could be considered a slightly broader term than drug discovery, involved in more stages of the development cycle (rather than just discovery).

I would suggest you search on UCAS for those terms, as well as "pharmaceutical science", "pharmaceutical chemistry", and "medicinal chemistry", as they're all largely focusing on the same area.

Pharmacology courses may also be of interest, although they are somewhat different in that they focus on the biological side of drug mechanisms and action, understanding how drugs affect the body, rather than developing new drugs.

Thanks, I want to go into developing new drugs so would biochemistry be an acceptable degree i.e. the process of testing on cells and checking dosage needed of drug
Original post by fdsfsrgwghb
Thanks, I want to go into developing new drugs so would biochemistry be an acceptable degree i.e. the process of testing on cells and checking dosage needed of drug

As I said in your other thread, probably not. Chemistry would probably be better; what you're discussing is not actually drug development and is much more pharmacology. Drug discovery (and more broadly, development) is mainly in designing chemical synthesis methods to create new drugs, the testing of them comes after.
Reply 4
As I said in your other thread, probably not. Chemistry would probably be better; what you're discussing is not actually drug development and is much more pharmacology. Drug discovery (and more broadly, development) is mainly in designing chemical synthesis methods to create new drugs, the testing of them comes after.

What I am looking to do is not the chemical synthesis to create the drug I want to do the testing. So are you saying pharmacology is the route which will take me into the testing, in terms of once the drug has been formulated the process of testing it on cells etc. I wouldn't want to do the formulation of the drug as that's the more molecular chemistry side I don't like. Also apologies for me repeating myself I am struggling to properly communicate exactly what I want to do :s-smilie:
What I am looking to do is not the chemical synthesis to create the drug I want to do the testing. So are you saying pharmacology is the route which will take me into the testing, in terms of once the drug has been formulated the process of testing it on cells etc. I wouldn't want to do the formulation of the drug as that's the more molecular chemistry side I don't like. Also apologies for me repeating myself I am struggling to properly communicate exactly what I want to do :s-smilie:

I think pharmacology is more the kind of course you want to be going into. However for pharmacological research, a biochemistry background can be quite appropriate as well, as could a course in e.g. biomedical sciences, neuroscience/neurobiology or physiology (or even more physiology oriented zoology courses). Any of those courses would/could consider, in various frames, how drugs affect the body and/or how the body responds to external chemical stimuli (such as medicinal drugs).

Have a look into those courses, and in particular at what kind of modules those courses take, and the content of them, and note the similarities and differences, and consider which seems most appropriate to your interests. Any of them could be a platform to go onto research in that area, so the main thing is finding the one which is the best fit for your interests and aptitudes.
Reply 6
I think pharmacology is more the kind of course you want to be going into. However for pharmacological research, a biochemistry background can be quite appropriate as well, as could a course in e.g. biomedical sciences, neuroscience/neurobiology or physiology (or even more physiology oriented zoology courses). Any of those courses would/could consider, in various frames, how drugs affect the body and/or how the body responds to external chemical stimuli (such as medicinal drugs).

Have a look into those courses, and in particular at what kind of modules those courses take, and the content of them, and note the similarities and differences, and consider which seems most appropriate to your interests. Any of them could be a platform to go onto research in that area, so the main thing is finding the one which is the best fit for your interests and aptitudes.

Where can I check this? Do you have any links to websites? I have been checking but can't seem to find any
Which universities allow courses for drug development/ drug discovery?
And are these two degrees the same?

Hi,

We offer a MSc Drug Discovery and Development to go into after your undergraduate degree. Take a look here https://www.sunderland.ac.uk/study/pharmacy-pharmaceutical-and-cosmetic-sciences/msc-drug-discovery-development/

Undergraduate courses in relation to this course you could look into studying are pharmacy, biomedical science, pharmacy or biopharmaceutical science. We offer all those courses here at Sunderland you can take a look on our website here https://www.sunderland.ac.uk/clearing/

You can ring up on 0191 515 3000 to discuss with one of our academic your options and they can offer you advice. Let me know if you have any questions, I'm here to help :smile:

- Natalie
Hello!

Please visit this link to view courses available in our Life and Physical Sciences department and have a look around to find the course you would like! Alternatively, you can call us on 0800 952 0226, we are open till 7pm today!

Good luck!

Godly
Aerospace Engineering student at Teesside University
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending