The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Clearing Accomodation

Okay so, yesterday I received a place at Kent through clearing which I am over the moon with!! Kent was one of my original options and while I'm disappointed I didn't get into Sussex (missed it by 5 marks :ashamed:), Kent is such a good uni as well and I'm sure I'll love it.

However, a big reason I chose to decline my place at my insurance (Portsmouth) and enter clearing was that I rang up and they told me there were no halls left. Being able to live in halls is important to me as I really want to throw myself into the student experience and make friends, which I've heard comes easier when you live in student accommodation. I've grown so much in confidence and maturity over the last few years, but I still struggle with GAD and ASD and I don't want to make anything harder on myself. I also think that the alternatives to living in halls - renting a house with strangers or commuting 6 hours every day - would have been too overwhelming in my first year. There were other reasons I decided to decline Portsmouth, but that was a big factor.

My questions are: how realistic is it that I will be able to get into halls at Kent? When will I know I have/haven't gotten into halls? Is there anything I need to do I haven't done already? And is it worth contacting student support (already registered) or housing to let them know what this means to me, or would they just think I'm being a whine?

Anyway, hope everyone's doing well post-results, and I can't wait to see some of you at Kent in September! :tongue:

PS. I will be doing Media Studies, although I'm considering changing to Cultural Studies and Media. Any advice on that would be appreciated as well!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by justzoe
Okay so, yesterday I received a place at Kent through clearing which I am over the moon with!! Kent was one of my original options and while I'm disappointed I didn't get into Sussex (missed it by 5 marks :ashamed:), Kent is such a good uni as well and I'm sure I'll love it.

However, a big reason I chose to decline my place at my insurance (Portsmouth) and enter clearing was that I rang up and they told me there were no halls left. Being able to live in halls is important to me as I really want to throw myself into the student experience and make friends, which I've heard comes easier when you live in student accommodation. I've grown so much in confidence and maturity over the last few years, but I still struggle with GAD and ASD and I don't want to make anything harder on myself. I also think that the alternatives to living in halls - renting a house with strangers or commuting 6 hours every day - would have been too overwhelming in my first year. There were other reasons I decided to decline Portsmouth, but that was a big factor.

My questions are: how realistic is it that I will be able to get into halls at Kent? When will I know I have/haven't gotten into halls? Is there anything I need to do I haven't done already? And is it worth contacting student support (already registered) or housing to let them know what this means to me, or would they just think I'm being a whine?

Anyway, hope everyone's doing well post-results, and I can't wait to see some of you at Kent in September! :tongue:

PS. I will be doing Media Studies, although I'm considering changing to Cultural Studies and Media. Any advice on that would be appreciated as well!!

I'm pretty sure online Kent says clearing places have guaranteed accomodation, might be the runt of the litter but accomodation nonetheless.
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Original post by spiltmilkISspilt
I'm pretty sure online Kent says clearing places have guaranteed accomodation, might be the runt of the litter but accomodation nonetheless.

That's assuring if true
yeah im in the same position, gassed about getting into kent through clearing but have no idea how accomodation works there, just got told over the phone that accomodation information is provided in the starter page
Reply 4
Original post by blikmamba
yeah im in the same position, gassed about getting into kent through clearing but have no idea how accomodation works there, just got told over the phone that accomodation information is provided in the starter page

Yeah same. They haven't approved my application on UCAS yet but I called the accommodation helpline and they said they'll email at some point within the next few weeks about which room they've allocated for me
oh swear? does it not say accepted on ucas yet?
Original post by sugs_15
Yeah same. They haven't approved my application on UCAS yet but I called the accommodation helpline and they said they'll email at some point within the next few weeks about which room they've allocated for me

oh swear? does it say not accepted on ucas yet? and did they say they pick accomodation for us rather than us choosing?
Reply 7
oh swear? does it say not accepted on ucas yet? and did they say they pick accomodation for us rather than us choosing?

No it doesn't say accepted yet even though I've accepted it on Kent Vision. Yh they'll email us with a room, we can't choose :frown: They said they'll give us a room and if we have a legit problem with it we can call them up and see if there are better options left.
Original post by sugs_15
No it doesn't say accepted yet even though I've accepted it on Kent Vision. Yh they'll email us with a room, we can't choose :frown: They said they'll give us a room and if we have a legit problem with it we can call them up and see if there are better options left.

oh thats sick idm which room i get as long as its on campus. That sucks, did you apply straight away after results?
Reply 9
yh idm either. Long story lol. Basically I accepted an offer for a different course at a diff uni before and put that into track before Kent had confirmed I had a place there. So then I had to ask the other uni to release me back into clearing. By the time I went onto Track to put Kent in, Law LLB was gone from the options cos there were no more places left (even though I had a place already). Then ucas had to add Law in on Track for me and now I'm just waiting I guess. The stresss

oh thats sick idm which room i get as long as its on campus. That sucks, did you apply straight away after result
Original post by sugs_15
yh idm either. Long story lol. Basically I accepted an offer for a different course at a diff uni before and put that into track before Kent had confirmed I had a place there. So then I had to ask the other uni to release me back into clearing. By the time I went onto Track to put Kent in, Law LLB was gone from the options cos there were no more places left (even though I had a place already). Then ucas had to add Law in on Track for me and now I'm just waiting I guess. The stresss

oh damn that sucks to have that on top of clearing stress, good luck with it g and hope to see u around at kent
Original post by sugs_15

Don't worry, it took two days for mine to show accepted on UCAS! Sucks about the room, but thanks for the info. Is there anything we can do in regards to putting in requests ie en suite?

What course have you gotten into?
Another question, has anyone been able to enrol yet? Haven't seen any emails about that, either.
Original post by justzoe
What course have you gotten into?

Doing psychology, wby?
Original post by justzoe
Another question, has anyone been able to enrol yet? Haven't seen any emails about that, either.

managed to do the first one where you upload a picture but that’s all, gotta wait 2 days for uni email i think
Doing psychology, wby?

Ahh, Media Studies.
Reply 16
oh damn that sucks to have that on top of clearing stress, good luck with it g and hope to see u around at kent

Thanks man good luck to you too, see you round
Original post by justzoe

Hi there!
So pleased to hear you're coming to Kent in September, I'm sure you're going to have such a great time :biggrin: I have heard a lot of people having similar accommodation questions. The accommodation office are pretty busy this time of year with everything, but in the next week or so you should be getting accommodation offers from them, be sure to check your emails regularly as that's how they'll contact you :smile:
In response to your questions;
You will almost definitely get a place on campus accommodation at Kent, it is incredibly rare that new students don't get accommodation on campus as there are so many rooms. It is relatively likely that you could end up in Parkwood houses as they have the most rooms, but obviously I can't say for sure, that's just from my friends' experiences :smile:
You'll hear from the accommodation office in the next week or so, they'll send you a room offer I believe and if you have a problem with it you can phone them up and see what else they can do for you. Although, through there tends to be less choice unfortunately!
Nothing left for you to do now so don't worry at all, just got to wait for the accommodation office to send you an email :smile:
And also definitely worth contacting student support and explaining everything to them :smile: The student support at Kent is really good so it's definitely worth letting them know your situation so they can help you however they can. Also can be really reassuring to know that someone at the university also knows your situation too.

I hope that answers everything! If you have any other questions at all then please feel free to ask. I've just finished my third year at Kent so if you want a student's opinion on anything, I'm here to help :biggrin:
Original post by StudentRep Annabel
Hi there!
So pleased to hear you're coming to Kent in September, I'm sure you're going to have such a great time :biggrin: I have heard a lot of people having similar accommodation questions. The accommodation office are pretty busy this time of year with everything, but in the next week or so you should be getting accommodation offers from them, be sure to check your emails regularly as that's how they'll contact you :smile:
In response to your questions;
You will almost definitely get a place on campus accommodation at Kent, it is incredibly rare that new students don't get accommodation on campus as there are so many rooms. It is relatively likely that you could end up in Parkwood houses as they have the most rooms, but obviously I can't say for sure, that's just from my friends' experiences :smile:
You'll hear from the accommodation office in the next week or so, they'll send you a room offer I believe and if you have a problem with it you can phone them up and see what else they can do for you. Although, through there tends to be less choice unfortunately!
Nothing left for you to do now so don't worry at all, just got to wait for the accommodation office to send you an email :smile:
And also definitely worth contacting student support and explaining everything to them :smile: The student support at Kent is really good so it's definitely worth letting them know your situation so they can help you however they can. Also can be really reassuring to know that someone at the university also knows your situation too.

I hope that answers everything! If you have any other questions at all then please feel free to ask. I've just finished my third year at Kent so if you want a student's opinion on anything, I'm here to help :biggrin:

Hi, just wondering about accomodation payment, is there not an option to pay a set amount weekly?
Hi, just wondering about accomodation payment, is there not an option to pay a set amount weekly?

Hi Blikmamba,
I don't believe there is an option to pay weekly. Accommodation is usually paid in termly instalments (start of each academic term) or for the whole year in full.

For more info, take a look here: https://www.kent.ac.uk/finance-student/student-finance-guide/accommodation_fees.html

Hope this helps!
Phil

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending