The Student Room Group
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website

The Official BCU Clearing Thread 2019

Hi guys!

This thread is your one-stop-shop to everything you need to know about Clearing.

Hopefully you’ll find the below tips useful but please feel free to ask any questions you might still have about the process. Or maybe you just want to let us know that you’re thinking of applying through Clearing, we’d love to hear from you!

Clearing gives you the chance to find a full time undergraduate course to start this September, and did you know almost 60,000 students found a place through Clearing in 2018? So you definitely won’t be alone.

Check out our quick video explaining Clearing: https://www.bcu.ac.uk/clearing/what-is-clearing

The FAQS

Who can apply through Clearing?

You might apply though clearing if…

You’ve decided to apply last minute

Your exam results aren’t as you expected

You’ve change your mind about the course you’ve applied for

Your exam results are better than you expected this is known as Adjustment

How do I find courses available in Clearing?

You can start searching now for what courses are available to apply for in Clearing and check their entry requirements. Most universities should have a list of courses available already.

You can find a full list of our courses in Clearing here: https://www.bcu.ac.uk/clearing/courses

If you already have your results and find a course you like, there’s no need to wait, you can apply online now.

How do I apply?

If you still need to wait until results day, check our website nearer the time for the number of our Clearing hotline which will be open from 6am on results day Thursday 15 August. All you have to do is give us a call, tell us what course you’d like to apply for and have 1) your UCAS ID number and 2) UCAS tariff points to hand. The important thing is to stay calm, lines might be busy but keep calling, and don’t worry, it’s not an interview or anything we just ask for a few details. If you struggle to get through on the phone, you can also get in touch with us via twitter or instagram @mybcu, or Facebook /birminghamcityuniversity

What happens after you get an offer?

If you get an offer you’ll then get an email telling you what to do next to accept it. You’ll get more information later about what you need to do before starting in September, such as enrolment and student finance.

If you already have an offer from elsewhere, you’ll have to release yourself from this offer before you can accept your new one.

If you’re still not sure if Clearing could be an option for you, check out some of our student stories and different scenarios of how they came through Clearing, and why not take our quiz? We all love a quiz www.bcu.ac.uk/is-clearing-for-me

Still got questions? Drop a comment below!
(edited 4 years ago)
Do you still keep your original offer until you get a clearing offer?
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website
Original post by alyssias7
Do you still keep your original offer until you get a clearing offer?

Hi alyssias7,

You might want to keep it until you do definitely get a new offer through Clearing, but then you'll need to release yourself from that offer so that you can accept your new Clearing offer. You can do this on your UCAS track by selecting 'Decline my offer'.

Hope that helps!

Lydia
Original post by Birmingham City University
Hi alyssias7,

You might want to keep it until you do definitely get a new offer through Clearing, but then you'll need to release yourself from that offer so that you can accept your new Clearing offer. You can do this on your UCAS track by selecting 'Decline my offer'.

Hope that helps!

Lydia

Thankyou! I’m looking to go to graphic communication through clearing, will I need some kind of digital portfolio or new personal statement (I applied to media courses originally)? A lot of my work has been submitted to my exam board so I don’t have a lot to create a portfolio with :/
Original post by alyssias7
Thankyou! I’m looking to go to graphic communication through clearing, will I need some kind of digital portfolio or new personal statement (I applied to media courses originally)? A lot of my work has been submitted to my exam board so I don’t have a lot to create a portfolio with :/

Great, have you read all about the course on our website here? If you already have your results you can apply online via the course page, otherwise you'll need to wait until Results Day and get in touch with us then :h:
You might need a portfolio for this course yes. Do you have digital copies of your work? If not, I'm sure if you just explain this when you come to applying they can sort soemthing out.

Lydia
Hi I have previously studied with the open university however I am now wanting to study within a brick uni. Will I be able to transfer my credits from the open university?
Original post by Sweety_512
Hi I have previously studied with the open university however I am now wanting to study within a brick uni. Will I be able to transfer my credits from the open university?

Hi Sweety_512,

Have you completed a degree already or are you looking to transfer midway through a course?

If you want advanced entry i.e straight into second year, you can't do this through Clearing but you can speak to our admissions team. You can call them 0121 331 6295, or email [email protected]

Lydia
(edited 4 years ago)
Hi Sweety_512,

Have you completed a degree already or are you looking to transfer midway through a course?

If you want advanced entry i.e straight into second year, you can't do this through Clearing but you can speak to our admissions team. You can call them 0121 331 6295, or email [email protected]

Lydia

Hi, I haven't completed my degree. Could I use the credits I have already gained with the open university, to start a degree from year 1.
Original post by Sweety_512
Hi, I haven't completed my degree. Could I use the credits I have already gained with the open university, to start a degree from year 1.

Okay, possibly! You'd have to speak to our admissons team about advanced entry on 0121 331 6295, or email [email protected] :h:
Okay, possibly! You'd have to speak to our admissons team about advanced entry on 0121 331 6295, or email [email protected] :h:

Okay, thank you for your help
Hi,

I received an unconditional Offer yesterday (BSc Computer and Data Science). I needed to ask if there is any senior student who can guide regarding "number of hours per day", I need to spend on campus for lectures etc?

It is stated on BCU's website as follows;

"A typical week on this course will include 12 hours of contact time over three or four days".

It says 3 or 4 days and 12 hours contact time....do we have the option to chose to go to university for 3 days only?

Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

I received an unconditional Offer yesterday (BSc Computer and Data Science). I needed to ask if there is any senior student who can guide regarding "number of hours per day", I need to spend on campus for lectures etc?

It is stated on BCU's website as follows;

"A typical week on this course will include 12 hours of contact time over three or four days".

It says 3 or 4 days and 12 hours contact time....do we have the option to chose to go to university for 3 days only?

Hi,

Congrats on your offer! It doesn't necessarily mean that you get to choose between coming in 3 days or 4 days a week, that's just a guide meaning it will either be 3 or 4 days, or might even differ week to week. It could just depend on what your tutor schedules in.

I hope that helps!

Thanks,

Lydia
Hi,

Congrats on your offer! It doesn't necessarily mean that you get to choose between coming in 3 days or 4 days a week, that's just a guide meaning it will either be 3 or 4 days, or might even differ week to week. It could just depend on what your tutor schedules in.

I hope that helps!

Thanks,

Lydia

Hi Lydia,

Thanks for your email.

I received a phone call last week and I was told I will receive my offer letter the latest of Friday but I did not.

Can you please check and send me my offer letter. I applied directly through BCU's website and not through UCAS.

Below is my reference;
Applicant Clearing ID Number: CLR000047645

Regards,
Hey guys! Anyone studying Art & Design this month? If so it would be cool to make friends before starting. Won't be as akward on the day I guess. 😂
Original post by Anonymous
Hi Lydia,

Thanks for your email.

I received a phone call last week and I was told I will receive my offer letter the latest of Friday but I did not.

Can you please check and send me my offer letter. I applied directly through BCU's website and not through UCAS.

Below is my reference;
Applicant Clearing ID Number: CLR000047645

Regards,

Hi,

I'll look into this for you and contact our admissions team, can you private message us your full name please?

Thanks,

Lydia
Hi Lydia,

Thanks for your reply.

I have just sent you a private message containing my full name and the email I received regarding my Unconditional Offer Letter.

regards,
Am I likely to get an offer for midwifery through clearing?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending