The Student Room Group

Durham VS Ubc

Guys should I go to Durham or UBC for psych??? Only thing that appeals me about Canada is the flexibility of changing courses and being able to explore different subjects whereas In uk it’s all very focused on one subj and I’m not even 100% sure I wanna do psych. ALSO my parents are going for the immigration thing so me going to canada would make the whole process much quicker n easier. BUT Durham is one of top unis and it’s close to home. ALSO with Canada, I applied for my visa quite late so Im gonna have to defer to January and even that idk if I’ll get the visa for sure- they might just reject it because my parents applied for immigration
Original post by Barakaahmed
Guys should I go to Durham or UBC for psych??? Only thing that appeals me about Canada is the flexibility of changing courses and being able to explore different subjects whereas In uk it’s all very focused on one subj and I’m not even 100% sure I wanna do psych. ALSO my parents are going for the immigration thing so me going to canada would make the whole process much quicker n easier. BUT Durham is one of top unis and it’s close to home. ALSO with Canada, I applied for my visa quite late so Im gonna have to defer to January and even that idk if I’ll get the visa for sure- they might just reject it because my parents applied for immigration
When you say "applied for immigration" do you mean that your parents would like to move to Canada and have begun this process? Where are you living at the moment?

You've clearly analysed the pros and cons of both, if the finance to study at either is achievable then I'd suggest prioritising the course you prefer the most. Do you have plans for post uni? For instance if you wanted to be a clinic psych in Britain I don't know what the rules are on accepting degrees from countries that might have different accreditation frameworks. I'm not saying this is the case, I'm saying I don't know.
Reply 2
Original post by 04MR17
When you say "applied for immigration" do you mean that your parents would like to move to Canada and have begun this process? Where are you living at the moment?

You've clearly analysed the pros and cons of both, if the finance to study at either is achievable then I'd suggest prioritising the course you prefer the most. Do you have plans for post uni? For instance if you wanted to be a clinic psych in Britain I don't know what the rules are on accepting degrees from countries that might have different accreditation frameworks. I'm not saying this is the case, I'm saying I don't know.

Hey yeah, they’ve begun this process and I live in Pakistan. That’s the thing. I don’t know what I wanna do after undergrad which is why I was iffy about uk cause it restricts you and people don’t really get to learn much outside their selected course (or so I’ve heard) while in canada I have chosen all sorts of courses which I’d be able to explore
I currently live in Canada and have lived here for the past 7 years despite being originally born in the UK and I definitely recommend going to UBC! UBC is considered one of the top schools in Canada among Waterloo, McGill, and U of T, plus the campus is absolutely beautiful. However, UBC is surrounded by forests and lakes, so if nature isn't really your calling then I would stick to Durham.
Reply 4
Original post by AliceJjiang33
I currently live in Canada and have lived here for the past 7 years despite being originally born in the UK and I definitely recommend going to UBC! UBC is considered one of the top schools in Canada among Waterloo, McGill, and U of T, plus the campus is absolutely beautiful. However, UBC is surrounded by forests and lakes, so if nature isn't really your calling then I would stick to Durham.

Omg really?? Ubc okanagan? I lovee forests
Reply 5

Also, isn’t durham also considered to be one of the top unis seeing it’s in the Russell’s group

UBC Okanagan?? That is literally the most famous university campus in regards to nature. I'm surprised you haven't searched up pictures of the campus because if you look the campus is encompassed by mountains and forests. I know a bunch of people who got into UBC and decided not to go because they thought there were too many forests and lakes, but if you enjoy camping, hiking, and anything outdoorsy trust me you are gonna LOVE UBC! The Okanagan campus is unreal, it's pretty much a national park at this point since so many tourists just go to Okanagan for the trees (which during autumn when the leaves turn red and yellow is gorgeous!). BTW, I'm not from BC, I'm from Ontario near the Toronto area but I've been to Okanagan once before. Totally recommend if finances aren't an issue.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending