The Student Room Group

Career advice

Hi guys,

I recently graduated this summer (Engineering) and I am not quite sure how I should be planning my next few years out.

Graduate job applications did not go to plan and I was not able to secure one throughout the year so this summer I have been applying to Universities to continue my studies and work towards an MSc. I have heard many negative things about this approach though I cannot see what else to do.

I was think perhaps of working full time out of the sector and finding an internship if there is one to do for graduates that is slightly shorter than one year while applying for a graduate scheme I can do the following summer. And finally make my way back to education to progress and do my MSc?

Any help would be appreciated!
Original post by particlestudent
Hi guys,

I recently graduated this summer (Engineering) and I am not quite sure how I should be planning my next few years out.

Graduate job applications did not go to plan and I was not able to secure one throughout the year so this summer I have been applying to Universities to continue my studies and work towards an MSc. I have heard many negative things about this approach though I cannot see what else to do.

I was think perhaps of working full time out of the sector and finding an internship if there is one to do for graduates that is slightly shorter than one year while applying for a graduate scheme I can do the following summer. And finally make my way back to education to progress and do my MSc?

Are you still looking for graduate jobs at the moment?
Original post by Smack
Are you still looking for graduate jobs at the moment?

I am looking although the number of jobs available for the coming September/October is very small. I have heard there are some graduate schemes that start in January too but I have not come across them yet.
Original post by particlestudent
Hi guys,

What are you hoping to attain from doing an MSc?

Personally, I'd recommend you continue hunting. Maybe find a job outside your field (analyst, technician, whatever it is), as some employers may question gaps in you CV (I experienced this with a few companies when I was out of work).
Original post by Ade9000
What are you hoping to attain from doing an MSc?

Personally, I'd recommend you continue hunting. Maybe find a job outside your field (analyst, technician, whatever it is), as some employers may question gaps in you CV (I experienced this with a few companies when I was out of work).

More knowledge in the field and perhaps increase my chance of being employed.

I will continue looking, but the chances of finding a graduate scheme is slim now

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending