The Student Room Group

Can I go to a Russel group university? (I am stressed)

I am stressed! My head is aching I got my AS results I received:
English literature: C
Sociology: A
Religious studies: A

However I have one downfall - GCSE MATHS!

I received my result and it's a grade 3 - 15 marks of a 4

Sadly have to retake in November , hopefully will pass

Will this unfortunate situation impact my uni choice I want to go 2020 uni

Applications have to be in by October, I am soo upset I just can't do maths, I am said to be academic however I can't pass something as simple as maths

Scroll to see replies

You can get into a number of RGs for law with AAC -- Liverpool, Cardiff, Southampton, Sheffield. But improve your grades, and you could get into even better ones.

Despite what teachers and others say, RG is not the holy grail and you can do perfectly well studying a degree at a uni outside it as long as the non-RG is as good as most RGs. Surrey, Leicester, Lancaster -- all are at least as good as Liverpool or QUB.

RG is just a convenient proxy for quality; but as long as your uni has that quality, you're laughing. Similar with Ivies in the US; you go to an Ivy so you're quite bright, but you're no bright because you went to NYU or Stanford or MIT.
(edited 4 years ago)
Thanks for your reply ! I can do thsi
Original post by Anonymous36617
Thanks for your reply ! I can do thsi

You can do it! If you can afford it, I strongly suggest a maths tutor. If you can’t afford it, post any maths problems you have on the maths forum on here and people will help you work it out
Original post by harrysbar
You can do it! If you can afford it, I strongly suggest a maths tutor. If you can’t afford it, post any maths problems you have on the maths forum on here and people will help you work it out

Thanks! I am looking for a maths tutor as I will delay my driving lessons for some time. I hopefully will pass and go to my dream university but when applying through UCAS will my grade 3 be a rejection immediately despite my A grades at AS
Reply 5
Hey, if you mean your UCAS application had to be in by October, that's only the deadline for Oxford, Cambridge and medicine/veterinary science degrees -you might have more time to plan than you think!

The worst that can happen is you apply and they say no, so you don't really lose out - I'm sure wherever you end up at uni will be great. I'd say it's worth a shot if it's what you're set on, but don't stress yourself out about it :smile:

Good luck for your retake!
Original post by imelpa
Hey, if you mean your UCAS application had to be in by October, that's only the deadline for Oxford, Cambridge and medicine/veterinary science degrees -you might have more time to plan than you think!

The worst that can happen is you apply and they say no, so you don't really lose out - I'm sure wherever you end up at uni will be great. I'd say it's worth a shot if it's what you're set on, but don't stress yourself out about it :smile:

Good luck for your retake!

Okay so my Sixthform might just be scaring us that they're due in October.
Thanks for your support I really appreciate everyone's words.
I hope I get the desired grade 4
Thanks! I am looking for a maths tutor as I will delay my driving lessons for some time. I hopefully will pass and go to my dream university but when applying through UCAS will my grade 3 be a rejection immediately despite my A grades at AS

It won’t be an immediate rejection as they will be able to see that you are resitting it, so your offers will be something like AAB PLUS GCSE Maths at grade 4. Will you be doing the foundation paper? It’s a lot easier than the Higher paper
Original post by harrysbar
It won’t be an immediate rejection as they will be able to see that you are resitting it, so your offers will be something like AAB PLUS GCSE Maths at grade 4. Will you be doing the foundation paper? It’s a lot easier than the Higher paper

Yes I will be, hopefully pass! I am happy it would be an immediate NO, I still have a chance. I am hoping to do law - that is the goal, I just can't wait to pass and the day I see a 4 will make my day despite how many As I see at A Level.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 9
Definitely hire a maths tutor as getting at least that 4 in Maths will be helpful with whatever you do.

Your AS grades aren’t too bad; if you can lift that c and have predicted grades of AAB, your chances will improve further.
Original post by Arisapo
Definitely hire a maths tutor as getting at least that 4 in Maths will be helpful with whatever you do.

Your AS grades aren’t too bad; if you can lift that c and have predicted grades of AAB, your chances will improve further.

Is it possible for me to be predicted 2 A* as I got 2 2 grade As at AS - I think they predict you one grade higher??
Is it possible for me to be predicted 2 A* as I got 2 2 grade As at AS - I think they predict you one grade higher??

That depends on your teachers.

If they feel you’re capable of getting an A*, they’ll predict you one and there’s no harm asking.

If you really push, getting that C up to an A would go a long way. A*A*A or A*AA would match the requirements for anywhere and better than some of the ones mentioned.

Really focus on getting that maths up first though.

It depends how solid the A is. I assume you wouldn’t be predicted higher than A*AB, but that’s just because at my school we could max raise our grades by two.
Original post by Arisapo
That depends on your teachers.

If they feel you’re capable of getting an A*, they’ll predict you one and there’s no harm asking.

If you really push, getting that C up to an A would go a long way. A*A*A or A*AA would match the requirements for anywhere and better than some of the ones mentioned.

Really focus on getting that maths up first though.

Okay, so predictions are based in what the teacher believe our potential is. I am trying my best,last year I have to admit o did not try that hard for English but this year I will try to improve that grade.
I will work on my maths hopefully get that to a grade 4 by November and focus on my A Levels. It just really brought me down today because I want to do well and I am surprised that a GCSE is holding me back
Applications have to be in by October, I am soo upset I just can't do maths, I am said to be academic however I can't pass something as simple as maths

Hey, don't worry I'm also said to be very academic, in the top three of my class overall, but REALLY bad at maths, so much that I have to spend ~2hrs everyday working on it.
One subject doesn't reflect the whole!
Thanks for that reply, maths is a lot of people's weakness. I have to try really hard now because I need to pass in November I really hope I do
Thanks for that reply, maths is a lot of people's weakness. I have to try really hard now because I need to pass in November I really hope I do

I'm sure you could probably find some great maths based youtube channels and/or websites that would work pretty well as a tutor and save you some money

Have you had a tutor before?

If not, definitely hire one for the next few months. You’ll get 1 on 1 attention and your grade will likely improve.
Original post by Arisapo
Have you had a tutor before?

If not, definitely hire one for the next few months. You’ll get 1 on 1 attention and your grade will likely improve.

Are online tutors helpful, I have booked one for £27 which seems a bit pricey just to do a Skype session? I hope my grade improves, it is really putting me down, I feel embarrassed!
Are online tutors helpful, I have booked one for £27 which seems a bit pricey just to do a Skype session? I hope my grade improves, it is really putting me down, I feel embarrassed!

Don’t feel embarrassed, not everyone can be good at Maths and you’ve clearly got other strengths.

I’d probably recommend a tutor face to face as I’d imagine especially with Maths it’s easier for them to see your working and logic. Whatever suits you though!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending