The Student Room Group

PhD advice - University selection

I completed by Bachelor’s degree at one university, and my Masters at another. I’m now possibly looking at doing my PhD at the institution where I did my BA.

From the outside looking in, Do you guys think in terms of credentials it looks unusual? <I know sometimes in employment people leave a firm and eventually come back> but had wondered in the world of academia whether it is seen in adverse way.

Rationale is flexibility, scholarships, teaching opportunities, knowing the faculty and academics.
(edited 4 years ago)
It's fairly common.
Reply 2
This is exactly what I'm doing. Completed my LLB at one uni, currently finishing off my MA at another, and in October I'll be starting a PhD at the original uni.

My rationale for doing so is pretty much exactly the same as yours.

I don't think it's all that unusual.
Original post by Notoriety
It's fairly common.

Original post by AkEmLu
This is exactly what I'm doing. Completed my LLB at one uni, currently finishing off my MA at another, and in October I'll be starting a PhD at the original uni.

My rationale for doing so is pretty much exactly the same as yours.

I don't think it's all that unusual.

That’s comforting to know appreciate both of your rapid responses. Good luck with the final sprint to your MA @AkEmLu
Reply 4
Original post by Condividere
That’s comforting to know appreciate both of your rapid responses. Good luck with the final sprint to your MA @AkEmLu

Thanks! Good luck to you if/when you apply to study a PhD.
It's not going to negatively impact your CV. Your future employer will see that you moved to another uni for a masters.

At least you'll know the department/supervisors and so you can make the most out of the PhD.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending