The Student Room Group

Maths predicted grades

Hi guys,
So I'm in a bit of a dilemma,
I have 10 days in order to achieve the grades I want for my predicted grades which will be used for UCAS. I'm struggling with maths in particular because the syllabus is so long. I try to do 5 hours of work day. Currently I'm using examsolutions to help me through exam questions, because I understand near none of them. I have history and rs to revise for as well. Is there any advice anyone would give me?
Hiya! I’ve never been particularly gifted at maths, and definitely found a lot of the new concepts difficult to grasp at first, so don’t worry!

In my December pre-mock test, I literally got a U... In my A level results, I got an A! In terms of revision, I’d highly recommend getting a small notebook, and every question you don’t understand, quickly jot down the question (maybe on the left hand side of every page, solutions on the right hand side) take it to school, find the most recommended tutor in your college, and get them to sit down with you and go through the question. Don’t leave until you understand! Do this with as many questions as you can and write the solutions to each of the questions explained.

As time goes on, you might find a pattern of particular topic areas your weak on. My advice then would to be do questions BY TOPIC, of those topics you struggle with. Most importantly, any little questions you have in the back of your head, get them answered ! They will resurface and you definitely don’t want that happening in the final exam. Personally, I always asked my boyfriend for help with maths and he always explained the fundamentals of where all the methods come from, and why they’re important, and often why my working out was mathematically incorrect (this also helps! Always teachers WHY your working is wrong, if there’s a fundamental confusion with your working out).

Ik this sounds like a lot of work but tbh A levels are! I took 4 so I feel your pain with essay subjects, but alas, what can you do eh :/

I hope this helps! Also, what exam board are you on? :smile:
Hiya!! Thank you for your reply!!

I've currently been doing something similar where I have a notebook and any exam questions I struggle with, I try to write the solutions down and go over them. But at times I've found that I try to go over the solutions to some questions and I can't grasp it.

People often recommend doing loads of exam questions before the exam and that's exactly what I'm doing but I can't apply any knowledge to some of the questions. I'm currently struggling a lot with logs, differentiation and integration questions, binomial distribution and hypothesis testing as well as mechanics, being mechanics :/// I'm going to go through these with my CGP year 1 book to get more of an idea. Is there anything else you would recommend?

Anddd my exam board is Edexcel
Original post by .xXNicoleXx.
Hiya! I’ve never been particularly gifted at maths, and definitely found a lot of the new concepts difficult to grasp at first, so don’t worry!

In my December pre-mock test, I literally got a U... In my A level results, I got an A! In terms of revision, I’d highly recommend getting a small notebook, and every question you don’t understand, quickly jot down the question (maybe on the left hand side of every page, solutions on the right hand side) take it to school, find the most recommended tutor in your college, and get them to sit down with you and go through the question. Don’t leave until you understand! Do this with as many questions as you can and write the solutions to each of the questions explained.

As time goes on, you might find a pattern of particular topic areas your weak on. My advice then would to be do questions BY TOPIC, of those topics you struggle with. Most importantly, any little questions you have in the back of your head, get them answered ! They will resurface and you definitely don’t want that happening in the final exam. Personally, I always asked my boyfriend for help with maths and he always explained the fundamentals of where all the methods come from, and why they’re important, and often why my working out was mathematically incorrect (this also helps! Always teachers WHY your working is wrong, if there’s a fundamental confusion with your working out).

Ik this sounds like a lot of work but tbh A levels are! I took 4 so I feel your pain with essay subjects, but alas, what can you do eh :/

I hope this helps! Also, what exam board are you on? :smile:

Also if I'm being completely honest here, I have got E's throughout all my year 1 mocks.

My school has told us they refuse to write a grade on the UCAS predicted grades unless we achieve it. I'm applying to Cambridge and I simply cannot apply with a predicted grade of E

I've spent the entire Summer revising maths, but it just doesn't feel like it's enough, especially when I approach exam questions.

Was your school as harsh when it came to predicted grades? Because I've heard from others that schools try and co-operate in terms of predicted grades.
I did edexcel too!
Maybe if I got you in touch with my boyfriend he can help you with maths? I had to BEG my chemistry teacher to predict me an A* in chem, even though I averaged on an A in Y1. Some colleges are really strict with predicted grades, in my opinion too strict, but with that said Ik people who don’t deserve A* predictions in other schools 😭. I’d try not to be too hard on yourself, the edexcel material they send out vs. The actual exam papers they release are so widely different it’s ridiculous ! Do you have maths mock when you go back to college ? X
Original post by bigrocks
Also if I'm being completely honest here, I have got E's throughout all my year 1 mocks.

My school has told us they refuse to write a grade on the UCAS predicted grades unless we achieve it. I'm applying to Cambridge and I simply cannot apply with a predicted grade of E

I've spent the entire Summer revising maths, but it just doesn't feel like it's enough, especially when I approach exam questions.

Was your school as harsh when it came to predicted grades? Because I've heard from others that schools try and co-operate in terms of predicted grades.

There are great resources on here: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/sow.php?year=A%20Level%202017&term=Main
Boyfriend said CGP is crap! Physics and maths tutor is a really good website for endless material, Khan Academy is good resource too at explaining things, boyfriend also says.
Maybe if I got you in touch with my boyfriend he can help you with maths? I had to BEG my chemistry teacher to predict me an A* in chem, even though I averaged on an A in Y1. Some colleges are really strict with predicted grades, in my opinion too strict, but with that said Ik people who don’t deserve A* predictions in other schools 😭. I’d try not to be too hard on yourself, the edexcel material they send out vs. The actual exam papers they release are so widely different it’s ridiculous ! Do you have maths mock when you go back to college ? X

Yes I'd really appreciate any help I can get!!

But yes I do have a maths mock as soon as I get to school in a week's time
Boyfriend said CGP is crap! Physics and maths tutor is a really good website for endless material, Khan Academy is good resource too at explaining things, boyfriend also says.

Okay I'll definitely check those out!!!
Could you ask him whether examsolutions and mathsgenie are of any help? And perhaps which resources have realistic exam questions?
Once again, thank you for your help

Will definitely check that out!

Also, Physics and Maths tutor is split into C1 M1 etc.. like the old A levels which is confusing me :///
Also, Physics and Maths tutor is split into C1 M1 etc.. like the old A levels which is confusing me :///

Okay so there’s a couple topics which don’t pass onto the new specification. When you go back to college, ask tutor to explain old spec. I mainly did C3 / C4 - also I’ll ask him tomorrow morning what his opinion of those resources are! Unfortunately for edexcel maths there's no real hope in finding representative resources cuz they’re are none! That’s why the worlds pissed at edexcels 2019 papers cuz they’re NOTHING like the material released. Edexcel do provide modular topic test questions which your college will have access too, these are good for recapping old topics and some questions can be challenging x
C = Core maths ( so basically pure)
M = mechanics
S = stats

C1 & C2 are AS level
C3 & C4 are a level

Please bare in mind old spec papers are much easier than new spec!! But are great for grasping concepts
Okay so there’s a couple topics which don’t pass onto the new specification. When you go back to college, ask tutor to explain old spec. I mainly did C3 / C4 - also I’ll ask him tomorrow morning what his opinion of those resources are! Unfortunately for edexcel maths there's no real hope in finding representative resources cuz they’re are none! That’s why the worlds pissed at edexcels 2019 papers cuz they’re NOTHING like the material released. Edexcel do provide modular topic test questions which your college will have access too, these are good for recapping old topics and some questions can be challenging x

Okay I'll definitely get to doing that once I get back. Why does Edexcel have to be such a pain in the ass:s-smilie:
C = Core maths ( so basically pure)
M = mechanics
S = stats

C1 & C2 are AS level
C3 & C4 are a level

Please bare in mind old spec papers are much easier than new spec!! But are great for grasping concepts

Thank you so much for letting me know xx
Okay I'll definitely get to doing that once I get back. Why does Edexcel have to be such a pain in the ass:s-smilie:

The resource I linked is geared to the new spec _ it's the best out there and the one I recommend to my students.
Original post by Muttley79
The resource I linked is geared to the new spec _ it's the best out there and the one I recommend to my students.

I used it all of yesterday and I agree!!! It was very useful so thank you for recommending it!

Quick Reply

Latest