The Student Room Group

Dentistry second degree

I’ve always considered doing a dental degree but because I didn’t do chemistry at A-level, just had Biology I did Radiography instead which I got a first class degree in and work in the NHS. But I’d like to still pursue a career in dentistry however I’m not sure what my chances would be at getting a place because of not having chemistry A-Level and not coming from a bioscience type degree background.

Cardiff would be my first choice university but I’m willing to travel further for the degree.

Any suggestions or advice on what I can do?
Original post by Hopefuls
I’ve always considered doing a dental degree but because I didn’t do chemistry at A-level, just had Biology I did Radiography instead which I got a first class degree in and work in the NHS. But I’d like to still pursue a career in dentistry however I’m not sure what my chances would be at getting a place because of not having chemistry A-Level and not coming from a bioscience type degree background.

Cardiff would be my first choice university but I’m willing to travel further for the degree.

Any suggestions or advice on what I can do?

Hi!
I am in a similar position to you, looking for applying as a graduate for Dentistry entry 2020.
I am trying entering into Dentistry since 4 years, from when I was a school leaver with an IB 40 but due to my low UKCAT score I got rejected each time (applied three times overall). This year, I have completed my B.Sc. Biomed degree with a first class and only managed to get only one interview from Belfast which was a rejection at the end. Now after three times of applying, I am so upset with the final outcome since I have realised that most unis only look whether you have an average UCAT score and then rank and if you are not in that list then they will automatically reject you no mater your academics. Other unis automatically exclude you due to your band 4 SJT score, others operate a very strict interview score and some unis reject you because you did not score enough to their personal statement score. This is very subjective. You can't judge someone by only looking at his UCAT score which was a 2-hour exam and whether he/she has ranked highly.
Despite all this, I am dedicated to re-apply for fourth time with a low UCAT score again of 2360 and if I will not be able to get in I am thinking of alternative options like Spain and Cyprus that they consider you with no entrance exam or interview with rankings. In the meantime, this year I am thinking of doing a master course and do further shadow Dentistry work experience.
Where are you thinking of applying and did you already sat your UCAT exam?
My advice would be since we both have achieved 1st class B.Sc. degrees to consider the graduate courses. I didn't apply to neither of them this year because I thought they would be very competitive and intense than undergrad. However, after conducting a lot of research I realized that graduate courses are actually easier than 5-year courses cause we are considered together with school leavers rather than other graduates and so the competition is more.
I have never applied to Cardiff for Dentistry but have applied to Bristol and Birmingham and both rejected me pre-interview for my personal statement and UCAT score respectively. I have heard Cardiff uni is very good for Dentistry but didn't consider it cause the clinical placements are quite spread and during the first year the teaching is done both to the School of Biosciences and Heath Park and I prefer having the teaching and clinical placement in one place.
Reply 2
Original post by Sara1498
Hi!
I am in a similar position to you, looking for applying as a graduate for Dentistry entry 2020.
I am trying entering into Dentistry since 4 years, from when I was a school leaver with an IB 40 but due to my low UKCAT score I got rejected each time (applied three times overall). This year, I have completed my B.Sc. Biomed degree with a first class and only managed to get only one interview from Belfast which was a rejection at the end. Now after three times of applying, I am so upset with the final outcome since I have realised that most unis only look whether you have an average UCAT score and then rank and if you are not in that list then they will automatically reject you no mater your academics. Other unis automatically exclude you due to your band 4 SJT score, others operate a very strict interview score and some unis reject you because you did not score enough to their personal statement score. This is very subjective. You can't judge someone by only looking at his UCAT score which was a 2-hour exam and whether he/she has ranked highly.
Despite all this, I am dedicated to re-apply for fourth time with a low UCAT score again of 2360 and if I will not be able to get in I am thinking of alternative options like Spain and Cyprus that they consider you with no entrance exam or interview with rankings. In the meantime, this year I am thinking of doing a master course and do further shadow Dentistry work experience.
Where are you thinking of applying and did you already sat your UCAT exam?
My advice would be since we both have achieved 1st class B.Sc. degrees to consider the graduate courses. I didn't apply to neither of them this year because I thought they would be very competitive and intense than undergrad. However, after conducting a lot of research I realized that graduate courses are actually easier than 5-year courses cause we are considered together with school leavers rather than other graduates and so the competition is more.
I have never applied to Cardiff for Dentistry but have applied to Bristol and Birmingham and both rejected me pre-interview for my personal statement and UCAT score respectively. I have heard Cardiff uni is very good for Dentistry but didn't consider it cause the clinical placements are quite spread and during the first year the teaching is done both to the School of Biosciences and Heath Park and I prefer having the teaching and clinical placement in one place.

I was thinking of just applying to Cardiff because I’d be able to work alongside doing the degree and I enjoyed my time there as a student at undergrad. I haven’t don’t the UKCAT yet as I’m still weighing up my options.

Have you had much work experience in dental/hospital environments? Did you find the interview difficult?
Original post by Hopefuls
I was thinking of just applying to Cardiff because I’d be able to work alongside doing the degree and I enjoyed my time there as a student at undergrad. I haven’t don’t the UKCAT yet as I’m still weighing up my options.

Have you had much work experience in dental/hospital environments? Did you find the interview difficult?

Hi!!
I did my work experience for two weeks in a dental practitioner, a month in a dental technologist and two months in a pediatric dentist.
QUB interview was fine and did not have tricky questions. I expected more personal though.
Is Cardiff uni organized in academics and is there a good tutorial system?

Quick Reply

Latest