The Student Room Group

medicine I want to be rich

ngl I want to be quite well off. On top of this I like science and it sounds like an interesting job and a few specialities appeal to me. I wouldn't want to work in a stressful 1 like A&E though. Should I do medicine? I also want to live my life and not die thinking wow I never spent any time with family or frineds just worked all the time
The Chinese medicine market is booming and with the arrival of Brexit and lack of access to medication you can make good money off bootleg tigerbalm.
lmao then why are you doing medicine?
Original post by Anonymous
ngl I want to be quite well off. On top of this I like science and it sounds like an interesting job and a few specialities appeal to me. I wouldn't want to work in a stressful 1 like A&E though. Should I do medicine? I also want to live my life and not die thinking wow I never spent any time with family or frineds just worked all the time

Medicine is well paid (once you're a consultant) but it's not going to make you a millionaire with the associated lifestyle (if that's what you mean by rich).

It goes without saying that it's a hard job and the training is difficult, so there are certainly easier ways of making a comparable salary. I wouldn't go into medicine with money as the primary reason.
If you really wanna make money you gotta know that qualifications and whatnot is not the be all and end all, you are just learning how to make someone else rich.

You need to learn useful skills for yourself like how to day trade and that isn't taught on any university campus so you you gotta master the basics of that and start making money for yourself ygm
well the lack of social life means you'll save money
Noooooo!!
If you're main goal in life is to get rich don't choose medicine. You wont get paid well for the work you do for decades and you will probably just end up hating work, since you spend so much time there.
Choose investment banking or real estate, where going home at 5 means as such.
you don’t get to choose your specialty rotations not until a couple years down the line, I think everyone has to do an A&E placement anyway
Reply 8
Original post by Democracy
Medicine is well paid (once you're a consultant) but it's not going to make you a millionaire with the associated lifestyle (if that's what you mean by rich).

It goes without saying that it's a hard job and the training is difficult, so there are certainly easier ways of making a comparable salary. I wouldn't go into medicine with money as the primary reason.

Not the main reason. 40% good pay and stable. 40% interested in the degree. 20% rewarding would be my breakdown. Also it does pay well and is guaranteed to pay well. Also the fact you can easily take career breaks and travel also appeals to me. I don't want to be rich RICH but just not worry about money, afford holidays, afford meals out. Saw a chart that showed 3 years after graduating it is considerable higher than most other degrees.

At the same time though there's no point being rich if you have no time to spend or enjoy your money or have MH issues from the stress. So I want a balance and am not sure what to do.
Reply 9
Noooooo!!
If you're main goal in life is to get rich don't choose medicine. You wont get paid well for the work you do for decades and you will probably just end up hating work, since you spend so much time there.

not what I've heard about IB. They work long hours too.
Noooooo!!

investment bankers don't go home at 5pm LMAO
does ur social life suffer in med more than in other careers
not what I've heard about IB. They work long hours too.

its harder to get into IB and the hours are very long.
You don't become a doctor for the money.
1) You become a doctor for the pure satisfaction you get from saving a person's life; nobody who is a doctor right now became a doctor for the money involved but for that satisfaction.
2) You can become a GP if you want to balance spending time with family and your work.
3) If you enter medicine wanting money you will be punished heavily: you will find writing a personal statement hard, you will not have much to say at your interview and most of all some uni or the other will pick up that you do not have a genuine interest into what a doctor does but for the money involved.

This may sound harsh but it is the reality.
Original post by tuesday1234
doctors don't get paid much lmao

Depends on how much you work and if you decide to do extra shifts apart from your normal shifts.
You don't become a doctor for the money.
1) You become a doctor for the pure satisfaction you get from saving a person's life; nobody who is a doctor right now became a doctor for the money involved but for that satisfaction.
2) You can become a GP if you want to balance spending time with family and your work.
3) If you enter medicine wanting money you will be punished heavily: you will find writing a personal statement hard, you will not have much to say at your interview and most of all some uni or the other will pick up that you do not have a genuine interest into what a doctor does but for the money involved.

This may sound harsh but it is the reality.

1) I'm sure some of them did. Yes I would find that satisfying but also stressful if they die.
2) still long hours but yes
3) I have already written my PS and have done a lot of volunteering so don't think it will be a problem.
1) I'm sure some of them did. Yes I would find that satisfying but also stressful if they die.
2) still long hours but yes
3) I have already written my PS and have done a lot of volunteering so don't think it will be a problem.

Good luck
Because you will be hella sure needing it.
It’s clear that money is your primary motivation and you want a comfortable life without stress or responsibility. Don’t do Medicine and instead focus on something else that will help you earn the same, if not more than a doctor in half the time it takes to become one. I suggest you look at Economics/Finance/Accountancy and go into a corporate job.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending