The Student Room Group

scared im going to regret uni?

going to a BBC uni to study law as i didnt get the grades for my russel group one/insurance(which was a AAB/ABB uni.

I just feel like im gonna regret it & its gonna be hard getting training contracts in the future. someone help me.
If you want to study law, I don't see why you should regret it. I don't really have experience with this, but I suppose your uni grade will be way more important than what you got at A level when getting a job later on. Also, BBC isn't exactly awful so it really shouldn't be too much of a problem? And if you're really not enjoying it once you start, there's no shame in dropping out if you need to!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
i don't know where BBC unis rank, but i will tell you that the three persons at my law firm with training contracts did not go to a russel group uni. they went to very mediocre ones. is your school below mediocre?

(btw my colleagues all credit their training contracts to experience and not their degree. your degree is just one check on your resume.)
what uni is it and what grades you got

work hard, get some experience, and you can always paralegal up
Original post by Anonymous
going to a BBC uni to study law as i didnt get the grades for my russel group one/insurance(which was a AAB/ABB uni.

I just feel like im gonna regret it & its gonna be hard getting training contracts in the future. someone help me.

What help do you want?
It is what it is. Get great degree results to improve your chances.
If you fell well below what you think you could have achieved at A level then it was open to you to resit.
You made the decision not to, so you will have to back yourself.
As it stands you will not be able to apply to some of the higher end firms who have A level requirements.
You just have to id the ones you can apply to.
If we live life regretting everything then we'll never get anywhere. Work hard at your degree, if you can get a first class degree then it'll definitely improve your chances. Apply for vacation schemes and get some experience behind you, and avoid the firms that ask for A-level minimums.
Reply 6
Original post by linda1301
If you want to study law, I don't see why you should regret it. I don't really have experience with this, but I suppose your uni grade will be way more important than what you got at A level when getting a job later on. Also, BBC isn't exactly awful so it really shouldn't be too much of a problem? And if you're really not enjoying it once you start, there's no shame in dropping out if you need to!

cos people say u shouldnt go to a medicore uni to study law if u wanna be a solicitor-chances are slim. & I got BCC with a B in EPQ
Reply 7
Original post by Joleee
i don't know where BBC unis rank, but i will tell you that the three persons at my law firm with training contracts did not go to a russel group uni. they went to very mediocre ones. is your school below mediocre?

(btw my colleagues all credit their training contracts to experience and not their degree. your degree is just one check on your resume.)

Its like 80th-83rd & how were their a levels thou? & what do you mean credit their training contracts?
Reply 8
Original post by Notoriety
what uni is it and what grades you got

work hard, get some experience, and you can always paralegal up

its not the best.
its not the best.

just answer me questions lad; things work a lot smoother that way
i also did not get the best a level results (ACC) and ended up getting into a non-rg uni for law however after a lot of research i figured that resitting would be the best option as better a level grades open more doors in the long run and getting into a rg uni is very important for competitive courses such as law.

don’t get me wrong going to a non-rg uni for law is not a waste as it exists for a reason but i’d advise resitting if you really want to gain a graduate training contract and potentially a job at a respected law firm.
Reply 11
Its like 80th-83rd & how were their a levels thou? & what do you mean credit their training contracts?

i mean 'attribute'. they attribute their training contracts to experience and not their degree.

one of them says she got her training contract because of the work experience she did with her LPC. another worked as a paralegal for the firm while doing her LPC; she starts her training contract in January. i didn't ask about A level grades.

not all of us will get a training contract straight outta uni, but that's okay and doesn't mean we never will. btw my best friend earned a first class degree from a 'good' school and doesn't have her training contract yet.

not sure how to advise you on the quality of your school tho and tbh i'd feel just as unsure/insecure about it as you are now. do you think that is the best you can do?

The only thing you'll regret is not trying.

University can be hard, but it's also where you can have some of the best times of your life. Try and embrace the experience and then reassess in a few weeks, you'll never know till you try. In terms of the future, your university should help support you to get a training contract so utilise all the support services available while you're there.

You're not the first student to feel like this and certainly won't be the last.
Good luck! :smile:
Original post by Joleee
i mean 'attribute'. they attribute their training contracts to experience and not their degree.

one of them says she got her training contract because of the work experience she did with her LPC. another worked as a paralegal for the firm while doing her LPC; she starts her training contract in January. i didn't ask about A level grades.

not all of us will get a training contract straight outta uni, but that's okay and doesn't mean we never will. btw my best friend earned a first class degree from a 'good' school and doesn't have her training contract yet.

not sure how to advise you on the quality of your school tho and tbh i'd feel just as unsure/insecure about it as you are now. do you think that is the best you can do?

What good school did your BFF go to and did she have any ECs?
Original post by Notoriety
just answer me questions lad; things work a lot smoother that way

no-invasion of privacy love x
Original post by bad bunny
i also did not get the best a level results (ACC) and ended up getting into a non-rg uni for law however after a lot of research i figured that resitting would be the best option as better a level grades open more doors in the long run and getting into a rg uni is very important for competitive courses such as law.

don’t get me wrong going to a non-rg uni for law is not a waste as it exists for a reason but i’d advise resitting if you really want to gain a graduate training contract and potentially a job at a respected law firm.

i personally dont think I could do any better as the papers this year were particulary good so I'd dread to think what I would've got had they been awful. I just wanna get my degree & whatever happens happens I guess. I too have done research & have found many firms willing to pay for the lpc & offer a training contract with my grades.
Original post by Joleee

best I can do?
Original post by UniversityOfSunderland
The only thing you'll regret is not trying.

University can be hard, but it's also where you can have some of the best times of your life. Try and embrace the experience and then reassess in a few weeks, you'll never know till you try. In terms of the future, your university should help support you to get a training contract so utilise all the support services available while you're there.

You're not the first student to feel like this and certainly won't be the last.
Good luck! :smile:

thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending