The Student Room Group

Combined Science , what do the 2 grades mean?

Hi
Have been going round in circles on different websites. What does the 1st and 2nd grade in GCSE combined Science refer to?
Is the 1st grade your average of the 3 sciences?
Is the 2nd grade where it sits within a boundary level?
Sooo confused!
Both grades are averages of the 3 sciences, so a 67 is a high 6/low 7 average , a 77 is a 7 and I think 78 would be a high 7/low 8 :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by studya03
Both grades are averages of the 3 sciences, so a 67 is a high 6/low 7 average , a 77 is a 7 and I think 78 would be a high 7/low 8 :smile:

Thanks for your reply.....but if both grades are an average, then why are they different?
Original post by Shazzer1
Hi
Have been going round in circles on different websites. What does the 1st and 2nd grade in GCSE combined Science refer to?
Is the 1st grade your average of the 3 sciences?
Is the 2nd grade where it sits within a boundary level?
Sooo confused!

It means there are like 2 grades that represnt all 3
Thanks for your reply.....but if both grades are an average, then why are they different?

Because it just represents an average grade, so instead of writing 7- it will be 67, and instead of 7= it’s just 77
Reply 5
All paper 1s get marked and give a grade
All paper 2s get marked and give a grade
Which is y u have 6 paper for science
Reply 6
Original post by studya03
Because it just represents an average grade, so instead of writing 7- it will be 67, and instead of 7= it’s just 77

Ok, still don’t understand...but thanks anyway!
Reply 7
Original post by Sal1171
All paper 1s get marked and give a grade
All paper 2s get marked and give a grade
Which is y u have 6 paper for science

So based on what you say, if you go for a remarking, it would always be the 2nd paper that should be remarked...as that will always be the lower grade (compared to the first grade)????
Reply 8
So based on what you say, if you go for a remarking, it would always be the 2nd paper that should be remarked...as that will always be the lower grade (compared to the first grade)????

Also, your theory would mean that you could get an 8 in the first papers and say a 4 in all the second papers? That doesn’t make sense..sorry
the two grades are an overall mark across the three subjects, you won’t get a mark for the separate sciences unless doing triple. good performance compensates weaker performance in another subject.
Reply 10
Original post by TheRealSaifali
the two grades are an overall mark across the three subjects, you won’t get a mark for the separate sciences unless doing triple. good performance compensates weaker performance in another subject.

Yes, but it still doesn’t answer my question of what criteria they use to achieve 2 grades
Unless they have changed drastically my daughter took dual science in the last year before it was graded 9-1.

She took part one in year 10 (3 papers one for each science) and got an overall grade for this plus a breakdown of how she did on each paper. Then took part 2 in year 11 (3 papers one for each science) and got an overall grade for this plus a breakdown of how she did on each paper.

For her friends doing triple science they then took Part 3 (3 papers one for each science) and got a grade per individual science.

Hope this helps
Reply 12
Original post by Muser99
Unless they have changed drastically my daughter took dual science in the last year before it was graded 9-1.

She took part one in year 10 (3 papers one for each science) and got an overall grade for this plus a breakdown of how she did on each paper. Then took part 2 in year 11 (3 papers one for each science) and got an overall grade for this plus a breakdown of how she did on each paper.

For her friends doing triple science they then took Part 3 (3 papers one for each science) and got a grade per individual science.

Hope this helps

It is different now and you sit all 6 papers (2 for each science) in one go. What I’m trying to understand is what the 1st grade is for and what the 2nd grade is for? Both grades can ONLY be the same, one level higher or one level lower (compared to the first grade). So if someone has got a 9, a 6 and a 6....the overall grade will not be 9/6. How is it worked out?
It is different now and you sit all 6 papers (2 for each science) in one go. What I’m trying to understand is what the 1st grade is for and what the 2nd grade is for? Both grades can ONLY be the same, one level higher or one level lower (compared to the first grade). So if someone has got a 9, a 6 and a 6....the overall grade will not be 9/6. How is it worked out?

OK even so you will be awarded two grades, probably all the first papers for each science will be totaled for one grade and all the second papers for the other grade. That is what I would expect but maybe someone else can confirm this.
Reply 14
Original post by Muser99
OK even so you will be awarded two grades, probably all the first papers for each science will be totaled for one grade and all the second papers for the other grade. That is what I would expect but maybe someone else can confirm this.

Yes, but assuming that that is how it is worked out ...how can you explain that the first papers in all subjects achieves a level 9 and all the second papers receive a level 4....how do they work out the 2 grades if there’s such a extreme in results?
Reply 15
You take the 6 exams, they add up all the marks and then you get the grades. As it is combined science, those 2 grades represent 2 GCSEs. For example, I got 8/8 in Combined science so that means that I gained 2 GCSEs at level 8. It doesn't have anything to do with all the paper 1s and paper 2s.
I found this which suggests that all marks are totaled and then grades given as appropriate this is AQA higher tier.
9-9 9-8 8-8 8-7 7-7 7-6 6-6 6-5 5-5*
269 251 233 216 199 180 161 142 123
5-5* 5-4 4-4 4-3
123 105 87 78

therefore the scenario of 9-4 is impossible according to this
(edited 4 years ago)
As above, it goes from 1-1, 1-2, etc. up to 9-8, 9-9. It only goes up like this, grades like 6-4 do not exist. The marks for both papers are totalled to give this grade. Eg. a 5-4 would mean you have one GCSE at grade 5, and another at grade 4. Your raw mark would be between a 4-4 and a 5-5. They do not correspond to your marks in papers. A lot of the above are probably talking about the old specification, where you'd sit 2 or 3 sets of 3 modules and get a grade for each.
(edited 4 years ago)
I would suggest you look at the specification for your particular exam board; for example this is the AQA one: https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/science/specifications/AQA-8464-SP-2016.PDF

It indicates each paper (2 papers for each biology, chemistry, and physics, all sat in the same examination period) are weighed equally. The qualification is on a 17 point scale, of 1-1 to 9-9. Thus as far as I can tell the possible grades are:

1-1, 1-2, 2-2, 2-3, 3-3, 3-4, 4-4, 4-5, 5-5, 5-6, 6-6, 7-7, 7-8, 8-8, 8-9. 9-9

It might help then to think of the mismatched grades as "half way points" between the matched grades.

Note the above is for AQA, although I presume other exam boards are similar.

edit: I just read the above comment and realise they already pointed this out! Ah well, beaten to it :redface:

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending