The Student Room Group

Will I be able to bet £250 on 12/1 and will they give money?

Will I be able to go In store at the bookies and online and let's say bet £250 on a 12/1 horse?

If I win will they give the money and can they call all betting companies to ban me?
You’d lose £250
Reply 2
Original post by Mustafa0605
You’d lose £250

Was that the question I asked?
Original post by Anonymous
Was that the question I asked?

Facts are more important than questions
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Mustafa0605
Facts are more important than questions

Ok, will they accept a £300 on the 0.5 favourite? Favourites win often in horse racing, especially when all the papers back then.
Will I be able to go In store at the bookies and online and let's say bet £250 on a 12/1 horse?

If I win will they give the money and can they call all betting companies to ban me?

They might have to call head office if the stake or payout exceeds a certain level - the level depends partly on your record as a punter. If the bet is with Corals, for example, try to keep your total returns below £3,000 which is the level at which security get involved to check the payout.

If you win then yes they will pay you - it's the law. A lone win won't get you a ban at that branch, let alone at all that company's offices. And they can't inform all the other betting companies.
Ok, will they accept a £300 on the 0.5 favourite? Favourites win often in horse racing, especially when all the papers back then.

So you think that being tipped by a lot of newspapers is a key factor in horses winning?
Reply 7
If I bet

Original post by ageshallnot
So you think that being tipped by a lot of newspapers is a key factor in horses winning?

Not really, but there is a lot of factors however the horse must be something if 80/90 per cent of the 15 odd newspapers back that horse.

If I stake £70 on a 12/1 surely they cant call head office.
They can call their own head office/ban you whenever they wish? I can only assume you're up to something you shouldn't be, bookies take bets quite often and they are aware they need to pay winnings, if they made a flurry of phonecalls every time someone won a poxy few hundred they'd never get anything done..
Reply 9
But they cant ban me if its the first time.
But they cant ban me if its the first time.

They can ban you for looking at them funny, it's a place of business. Management reserve the right to refuse service and/or admission.

They don't tend to ban people who placer a bet that wins, they wouldn't stay in business very long.

It comes down to this, are you over 18, and trying to place a standard bet on a horse race at odds they offer with money that isn't stolen? That's fine, if the bet wins they will pay out....but if you're trying to mess with them somehow they can kick you out.
If I bet

Not really, but there is a lot of factors however the horse must be something if 80/90 per cent of the 15 odd newspapers back that horse.

If I stake £70 on a 12/1 surely they cant call head office.

The fact that 80% of newspaper tipsters choose a certain horse does not make it more likely to win; more specifically and importantly, it does not make the probability of its winning greater than the reward (ie the odds) you get for backing it.

They would only call that kind of trivial bet to head office if you were regarded as a dangerous customer. And you are not in that category based on what you have posted.
(edited 4 years ago)
They'd probably take the bet but would be a bit funny if not a regular punter. The more you place bets like that the less suspicious theyll be. That being said eventually they will ban you if they all kept winning..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending