The Student Room Group

Election Day petition

Hi,
The petition to change Election Day to Sunday. I think most UK students and young people should support the petition. It will potentially help many more people to vote. It is important. Please read full list before deciding.

Introduction.
In the 2015 Election (the one that got the UK into this mess), only 43% of people aged between 18 and 24 voted, whereas 79% of those over 65 voted. This difference is really important because research has found that those that dont vote are far more likely to be hard hit by government Austerity programs (LSE report)

History.
In 1931, Thursday was made the official election day for all elections and referendums everywhere in the UK. The day was not so important back then as the retired population was small (average life expectancy was 58) and the student population even smaller. Now in 2019 we live in a very different age with nearly 35% of young people away at university and life expectancy of middle class voters often into the 90s.

Reasons why Sunday is best for young voters, students and commuters.

(before I list them I know students can do A B C things to avoid these problems but the fact is most dont - many are poor, living in bad expensive housing, have huge student debts and these problems are possibly in part due to your retired landlords voting and the younger tenants not).

So here is the list:

1.Experian says its better for young peoples credit scores to register to vote at their parents permanent home address. This "Credit Score" potentially stops millions of young people from voting unless Election Day is on a Sunday (the day students and other young adults are most likely to go home to see mum and dad).

2. Level Playing field. Sunday gives the maximum number of people the maximum time to vote. Is it really democratic if 50% of society (pensioners) have 15 hours to vote whereas students and commuters might only have 1 hour?

3. The TUC reported in 2017 that BAME workers have journey times about 30 minutes longer then other people - often having to go via the cheapest route rather than fastest and working long shifts. These BAME workers probably struggle to vote. Sunday gives BAME voters a chance.

4. Having Thursday elections causes some schools to close (potentially up to four times a year). This affects the poorest sections of society the most, as they are struggling with gig economy jobs and will now need to pay for child minders so middle class can vote.

5.Sunday potentially enables more people with transport difficulties to get to polling booths as more volunteers are available to help transport the frail and sick to election booths... And others with more time available can easily walk the mile or so - it would do them good!

6. #ExtinctionRebellion There is an environmental dividend to Sunday elections. With more time, more voters might chose to walk to the polls. Currently, I've seen traffic jams around some polling booths as commuters rush to vote in the evening. the planet needs young voters

7. Religious argument: Jesus made a specific point about healing the sick and society on the Sabbath. The Jesus argument is that religious people should back Sunday voting: it gives people time to meditate about the issues on the day itself. To vote to make a better world

8. Experimentation: Progress occurs with experimentation. Our nation will go backwards if we do not go forwards. Dabble with a Sunday experiment with local elections and see if there is a net benefit. If you do not sign the petition no discussion will occur & no experiment.

9.With a more thoughtful electorate (due to time) we might see more tactical voting and coalitions (common in Sunday voting nations). The voter can vote for the specific small party that suits them best knowing it still counts.

10.The TUC has stated that average commute times have been increasing all through this century. This rise in time wasted travelling is paralleled by the decrease each year in the number of people voting

11. People on business trips (typically mid week) will not be able to vote. Business trips are getting more common and often adhoc and unplanned.

12. Postal votes/Internet are not good if you have children. Part of the process of democracy if taking your children with you to the polls to vote. You are passing the flame to the next generation. The rise of postal voting has lead to the decline of democracy. The next generation

13.Traditionally Thursday night has always been a night out after work for urban workers/students: a quick drink with your mates. Having elections on Thursdays, with unreliable transport systems plus quick drink after work equates to missing the election

14.Most of the world either has a bank holiday or weekend voting (South Korea bank holiday, Aus and NZ sat and Japan Sunday and most of EU sun too). DUP and Farage in 2013 on record for being against the change

15. Bank Holidays are not quite as good as Sunday Elections as a small number of local elections (or a single by election) cannot cause a bank holiday every five minutes!

16. Saturday has more people working than Sunday so its rather ruins the point of the change.

Become part of the social experiment, if it happens you can say you were one of the earley signatures. It has until Christmas Day to run ... The petition is available on Government website look up "Hold all UK elections and referendums on Sundays"

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Go to petition parliament website and search for "Hold all UK elections and referendums on Sundays" if you wish to support petition. Its the same website as the 6 million second referendum petition... You know the one. Start the revolution here. The world will be a very different place if 79% of young people voted. Cheers ElectionDay. Thanks
I don’t have a problem with voting being on Sunday and you do make some good points.

However low turnout among young people is not because they only a limited opportunity to vote on Thursday. It is simply because they can’t be arsed. This is typically because they have zero interest in politics or resort to lazy thinking like ‘it won’t make a difference” or “all politicians are the same”.
Reply 4
Original post by ElectionDay
13.Traditionally Thursday night has always been a night out after work for urban workers/students: a quick drink with your mates. Having elections on Thursdays, with unreliable transport systems plus quick drink after work equates to missing the election

Of all the reasons you give, this is just stupid.

Polling booths are open for a huge portion of the day, just organise your time better.

And as the poster above says, none of this actually counters the fact that the demographic you're talking about don't vote because they're not interested. Fix voter apathy first.
Hi,
The petition to change Election Day to Sunday. I think most UK students and young people should support the petition. It will potentially help many more people to vote. It is important. Please read full list before deciding.

Introduction.
In the 2015 Election (the one that got the UK into this mess), only 43% of people aged between 18 and 24 voted, whereas 79% of those over 65 voted. This difference is really important because research has found that those that dont vote are far more likely to be hard hit by government Austerity programs (LSE report)

History.
In 1931, Thursday was made the official election day for all elections and referendums everywhere in the UK. The day was not so important back then as the retired population was small (average life expectancy was 58) and the student population even smaller. Now in 2019 we live in a very different age with nearly 35% of young people away at university and life expectancy of middle class voters often into the 90s.

Reasons why Sunday is best for young voters, students and commuters.

(before I list them I know students can do A B C things to avoid these problems but the fact is most dont - many are poor, living in bad expensive housing, have huge student debts and these problems are possibly in part due to your retired landlords voting and the younger tenants not).

So here is the list:

1.Experian says its better for young peoples credit scores to register to vote at their parents permanent home address. This "Credit Score" potentially stops millions of young people from voting unless Election Day is on a Sunday (the day students and other young adults are most likely to go home to see mum and dad).

2. Level Playing field. Sunday gives the maximum number of people the maximum time to vote. Is it really democratic if 50% of society (pensioners) have 15 hours to vote whereas students and commuters might only have 1 hour?

3. The TUC reported in 2017 that BAME workers have journey times about 30 minutes longer then other people - often having to go via the cheapest route rather than fastest and working long shifts. These BAME workers probably struggle to vote. Sunday gives BAME voters a chance.

4. Having Thursday elections causes some schools to close (potentially up to four times a year). This affects the poorest sections of society the most, as they are struggling with gig economy jobs and will now need to pay for child minders so middle class can vote.

5.Sunday potentially enables more people with transport difficulties to get to polling booths as more volunteers are available to help transport the frail and sick to election booths... And others with more time available can easily walk the mile or so - it would do them good!

6. #ExtinctionRebellion There is an environmental dividend to Sunday elections. With more time, more voters might chose to walk to the polls. Currently, I've seen traffic jams around some polling booths as commuters rush to vote in the evening. the planet needs young voters

7. Religious argument: Jesus made a specific point about healing the sick and society on the Sabbath. The Jesus argument is that religious people should back Sunday voting: it gives people time to meditate about the issues on the day itself. To vote to make a better world

8. Experimentation: Progress occurs with experimentation. Our nation will go backwards if we do not go forwards. Dabble with a Sunday experiment with local elections and see if there is a net benefit. If you do not sign the petition no discussion will occur & no experiment.

9.With a more thoughtful electorate (due to time) we might see more tactical voting and coalitions (common in Sunday voting nations). The voter can vote for the specific small party that suits them best knowing it still counts.

10.The TUC has stated that average commute times have been increasing all through this century. This rise in time wasted travelling is paralleled by the decrease each year in the number of people voting

11. People on business trips (typically mid week) will not be able to vote. Business trips are getting more common and often adhoc and unplanned.

12. Postal votes/Internet are not good if you have children. Part of the process of democracy if taking your children with you to the polls to vote. You are passing the flame to the next generation. The rise of postal voting has lead to the decline of democracy. The next generation

14.Most of the world either has a bank holiday or weekend voting (South Korea bank holiday, Aus and NZ sat and Japan Sunday and most of EU sun too). DUP and Farage in 2013 on record for being against the change

15. Bank Holidays are not quite as good as Sunday Elections as a small number of local elections (or a single by election) cannot cause a bank holiday every five minutes!

16. Saturday has more people working than Sunday so its rather ruins the point of the change.

Become part of the social experiment, if it happens you can say you were one of the earley signatures. It has until Christmas Day to run ... The petition is available on Government website look up "Hold all UK elections and referendums on Sundays"

Grow up and just make some time on the day of the election, if you can't then use the ample time beforehand to register for a postal vote, it really isn't difficult.
Reply 6
Oh well thanks for your views.
Can i ask the political persuasion of those above that are against the idea?

This is important as Sunday voting both here and in the USA helps the left of centre (eg Greens, Labour, nationalists and lib-Dems). For example in 2013 both Farage and the DUP came out against Sunday Voting. In the USA the Democrats have been pushing for it for years. I've spent some time investigating Sunday Elections. It should give about 10% push to the under 65 vote. For example. Take the South West Railway line. As a general rule the longer the commute the lower the voter turnout. Wimbledon gets 77%, Guildford 73% and Havant 63%.All very similar people but less and less vote the longer the commute.

Gut feeling is you're all right of centre (but be interested to hear of any of you who are left of centre and are against Sunday Elections).

This is important as Sunday voting both here and in the USA helps the left of centre (eg Greens, Labour, nationalists and lib-Dems). For example in 2013 both Farage and the DUP came out against Sunday Voting. In the USA the Democrats have been pushing for it for years. I've spent some time investigating Sunday Elections. It should give about 10% push to the under 65 vote. For example. Take the South West Railway line. As a general rule the longer the commute the lower the voter turnout. Wimbledon gets 77%, Guildford 73% and Havant 63%.All very similar people but less and less vote the longer the commute.

Gut feeling is you're all right of centre (but be interested to hear of any of you who are left of centre and are against Sunday Elections).

No I'm more of a floating voter these days, I want to vote Labour but can't because Corbyn would be a disaster so have been forced to vote for UKIP/ Conservative ( it felt dirty) due to my opinions of the European Union and my belief that we will be better off outside of the EU.
Once both the above issues have been sorted then I will go back to voting for Labour.
Reply 8
Yes, Brexit is right of centre in the sense, we give up the right to work, study, live, marry and retire in an area that goes on for thousands of miles and in return we get nothing (eg as an individual I give up all the above but get nothing back). I worked in Finland for a year, I know what I will be losing. I know I will be gaining nothing in return. Brexit is seriously damaging every young persons life chances.

As a remainer I would be quite happy for Brexiteers to be allowed the full Cliff Edge Brexit provided we join Schengen. In this way everyone gets what they want, and the back stop is sorted. The entire nation will be cheering.

Yes, I can see why Brexiteers hate the idea of Sunday voting, it allows a big chunk of the missing 28% to vote in the next referendum.
Reply 9
Yes, Brexit is right of centre in the sense, we give up the right to work, study, live, marry and retire in an area that goes on for thousands of miles and in return we get nothing (eg as an individual I give up all the above but get nothing back). I worked in Finland for a year, I know what I will be losing. I know I will be gaining nothing in return. Brexit is seriously damaging every young persons life chances.

As a remainer I would be quite happy for Brexiteers to be allowed the full Cliff Edge Brexit provided we join Schengen. In this way everyone gets what they want, and the back stop is sorted. The entire nation will be cheering.

Yes, I can see why Brexiteers hate the idea of Sunday voting, it allows a big chunk of the missing 28% to vote in the next referendum.

If you are left of centre or a remainer or just want everyone to have a fair chance please sign the petition. Thank you.
If you are left of centre or a remainer or just want everyone to have a fair chance please sign the petition. Thank you.

Leaving is very much an ideal of the left, you seem to be confused.

You won’t lose the right to live and work abroad.

Provided we join Schengen: that would not get support of the public and would increase the Brexit vote.

The “missing” 28%: should have voted in the original then.

Postal votes exist. Making commuting times, irrelevant.
Original post by Andrew97
Postal votes exist. Making commuting times, irrelevant.

Andrew97 - see that is what is wrong with some Brexit voters they do not read the small print. Postal Voting (as many political scientists have pointed out) decreases the number of people voting. The reason is the link to the next generation is lost. Voting should be a family event where mum and dad take the children to the polls, they get a balloon and a booklet from the polling station and the family have an election day party. This can only really happen on a Sunday. read the links.
Andrew97 - see that is what is wrong with some Brexit voters they do not read the small print. Postal Voting (as many political scientists have pointed out) decreases the number of people voting. The reason is the link to the next generation is lost. Voting should be a family event where mum and dad take the children to the polls, they get a balloon and a booklet from the polling station and the family have an election day party. This can only really happen on a Sunday. read the links.

Are you really sure that 18-25 year olds will turn out in their droves because voting is on a Sunday? From what I've experienced with my daughter Sundays are regularly lost to her as she doesn't get home until 5.30 after a Saturday night out.
Your original argument is a flawed one also as the majority of people who vote on election days are in work, we just make time to do it.
Reply 15

Because taxes will have to rise to pay for this?
Original post by Quady
Because taxes will have to rise to pay for this?

Yes - estimated extra cost of Sunday is £72M (mainly wages for council volunteers). However what was the cost of WW2. In the 1950s we had 80% turnouts because many people remembered someone who actually died or badly injured to help us keep our democracy.

However today I want to talk about Climate Change. Much of the debate over past few days and weeks has been how the "older" generations are destroying much of the future for "younger" generations.

I have 'proved' beyond reasonable doubt that more young people vote if the vote is on Sunday in our neighbour countries (just need an experiment here to prove it for us).

SUNDAY French __ 77% (2017) <== They ban postal votes
SUNDAY German__76% (2017)
SUNDAY Italian____73% (2018)
SUNDAY Spanish__72% (2019)
THURSDAY UK____68% (2017) <== Last even with postal votes and brexit boost

Compare less popular SUNDAY regional Election results with
Wales
SUNDAY Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes 58%
SUNDAY Brittany 59%
SUNDAY Pays de la Loire 57%
THUR Wales 45%

Compare popular SUNDAY regional Elections results with Scotland & London
SUN Lombardy 73%
SUN Bavaria 72%
SUN Madrid 64%
SUN Paris 62%
THUR Scotland 55% <=== The most IMPORTANT REGIONAL AUTHORITY IN EU DIABOLICAL RESULT.

THUR London 45%

Sunday voting helps keep sunday special (shops closed) because religious, politics AND CLIMATE CHANGE people will all want the same.
Sunday gives MOST PEOPLE (including young) the same time to vote.

If you do not sign there will be no debate in parliament there will be no response from parliament and you will not be able to blame the older generation - any age can sign a petition - so even if you're just 15 you can sign - it does not mean you necessarily agree, it does mean you would like it debated. https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/263133
You can also see the bigger debate on twitter (brightsuit) .
Reply 17
Yes - estimated extra cost of Sunday is £72M (mainly wages for council volunteers). However what was the cost of WW2. In the 1950s we had 80% turnouts because many people remembered someone who actually died or badly injured to help us keep our democracy.

However today I want to talk about Climate Change. Much of the debate over past few days and weeks has been how the "older" generations are destroying much of the future for "younger" generations.

I have 'proved' beyond reasonable doubt that more young people vote if the vote is on Sunday in our neighbour countries (just need an experiment here to prove it for us).

SUNDAY French __ 77% (2017) <== They ban postal votes
SUNDAY German__76% (2017)
SUNDAY Italian____73% (2018)
SUNDAY Spanish__72% (2019)
THURSDAY UK____68% (2017) <== Last even with postal votes and brexit boost

Compare less popular SUNDAY regional Election results with
Wales
SUNDAY Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes 58%
SUNDAY Brittany 59%
SUNDAY Pays de la Loire 57%
THUR Wales 45%

Compare popular SUNDAY regional Elections results with Scotland & London
SUN Lombardy 73%
SUN Bavaria 72%
SUN Madrid 64%
SUN Paris 62%
THUR Scotland 55% <=== The most IMPORTANT REGIONAL AUTHORITY IN EU DIABOLICAL RESULT.

THUR London 45%

Sunday voting helps keep sunday special (shops closed) because religious, politics AND CLIMATE CHANGE people will all want the same.
Sunday gives MOST PEOPLE (including young) the same time to vote.

If you do not sign there will be no debate in parliament there will be no response from parliament and you will not be able to blame the older generation - any age can sign a petition - so even if you're just 15 you can sign - it does not mean you necessarily agree, it does mean you would like it debated. https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/263133
You can also see the bigger debate on twitter (brightsuit) .

THUR Scotland 84.6%
I don't like your motives. It seems like your doing this purely for political gain because you expect a higher youth-turn out to aid your party/politics.

That being said, I don't see a good counter argument to putting voting day on a weekend, the small cost seems easily offset by the advantages/ease of voting that it would cause.

Personally, I would put it on a saturday if I had 100% control, but thats not because I think saturday is better for the nation as a whole, sunday does make more sense.. but I love election nights and the coverage of results coming in. A saturday election, would be great as I wouldn't need to work the morning after, meaning staying up all night to follow the results would be just a little nicer.
Original post by Quady
THUR Scotland 84.6%

Yes agreed that is an outlier. Not sure why so high. New Caledonia (Independence from France in 2018) only got an 80% turnout. Obviously its of critical importance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending